My Hardware Droid Caller

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi-Loreen, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 2, 2002
    star 4
    After re-reading this tutorial this on the Blaster Builder's club a few months back, I decided to see if I could make a simpler version using fewer parts, that looked more accurate, and do it mostly with parts I already had on hand.

    It was also a prop I'd want to have to use with the Moisture Farmer costume I was thinking of doing.

    I started looking through my parts drawers to see what I could use, already knowing that a piece of 1 1/2" sink tube would be the main body. I needed something for the "emitter" and a 1" PVC plug would fit into the top with just a little sanding.

    I wanted to do the silver version of the Kobold flash, not the black one like people are more familiar with:

    [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Moisture%20Farmer/DroidCallerRefPOSW.jpg]

    Next, I started looking through a box of hardware and switches and pulled out a small momentary switch, some different sizes of finish washers, a picture hanger and some interesting lamp hardware.

    I sanded down the lip of the PVC plug till it just fit inside the piece of sink tube. Then I marked and drilled my holes in the sink tube and plug for the hardware and switch. Then I did a test fit of the switch and hardware:

    [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Moisture%20Farmer/SUNP0007.jpg]

    [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Moisture%20Farmer/SUNP0006.jpg]
    That's a finishing nail inside the "emitter".

    Later, I switched out the black allen head cap screw for a silver one that looked better. I also lightly sanded the sink tube to give it sort of a "brushed" finish and make it not so shiny.

    I decided that I didn't like the way the switch I had looked, and since I needed to go to RadioShack to get a buzzer anyway, I picked up a package of smaller momentary switches.

    "A buzzer?", you might ask? Yes, I didn't want this to be a static prop, I wanted this to "do" something, in this case, make noise. I took my cue from the original tutorial.

    Here are the parts I ended up using:

    [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Moisture%20Farmer/th_SUNP0005-1.jpg]

    Not pictured is extra wire, a small strip of styrene, pop rivets and 2 different finishing nails. I ended up not using the square aluminum tube because my idea for it didn't work.

    I wanted to add the extra ridged ring you see on the real flash, so I cut a strip of thin styrene and used hot water to bend it into a circle.

    I roughed up the edge of the sink tube where the ring would attach, then mixed up some 2-part epoxy and glued the ring on, using some small clamps to hold it in place while the epoxy cured. After a couple of hours, I took an X-acto knife and made the ridges around the ring.

    I also used my tubing cutter to make a groove about 1/4" from the top of the "emmiter" and used a jeweler's file to widen it a bit. Then I also made ridges around the top of that piece.

    Now it was time to glue the PVC plug in place with more epoxy. After a couple more hours (just for good measure, even though it was 5 min. epoxy), to hold the ring ends and the emitter on better (or just to give myself a little peace of mind), I drilled a small hole at the seam where the ends of the styrene ring came together, through the sink tube and into the PVC plug, then used a larger drill bit to counter sink it a little. Then I took a finishing nail that I cut down to about 3/8", put a drop of super glue on it and pushed it into the hole.

    Then it was time for paint. I did the black first. Before the paint was fully cured, I took a pencil and added this detail from the real flash, by drawing rings that removed the black paint, though you can't see it in my pics of my prop:

    [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Moisture%20Farmer/esbkolbold2.jpg]

    After giving the paint a day to cure, I painted the silver on the ridged ring and the emitter.

    Then next day it was time for the final assembly. First I mounted the round knob, then my buzzer circuit (pre-tested
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.