main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Hope For The Future

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother House' started by Debo, Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    My one hope is not to become a robot machine, ever.

I started school when I was four. Eight years later, I started high school, thinking I would finally be free. Six years later, after having been a cool popular fellow and the best of the class bar the obligatory spotty no-lifer, I went to University, thinking I would finally be free. Five years later, after having led a pleasant semi-turbulent life and scored the highest marks and best recommendations, I suddenly understood the game: I was being moulded into a society robot.

All the things I had treasured as a kid and had instinctively recognized as true and necessary for further growth and happiness, spiritually or artistically or however you wish to label it (but it can't be labeled), were replaced by books, facts and theories -- my room, in other words, was being filled with other people's furniture. My identity was turning into a profession. (I've often been called a genius, but if I am, I have to discover why, and what to do with it.)

I decided to take a year off and travel a bit: first to New York, then Washington, then Canberra, then Brisbane, then back again. My ex-girlfriend, Nicole, was originally going to join me, but things turned out differently.

A few days ago, I've decided to take another year off after this one. Why not? As long as I don't have to write a report on it that will be graded afterwards, I'm fine.

I'm 25, young, at my physical peak, and have to break free from the routines of a workman's life or I'll become a droid, a C3PO. DOA when I settle.

Let's see where this brings me. I have a suspicion it'll turn out nicely in the end. Of course, if you find me bearded and drunk in a Brisbane bar, I was wrong.

2. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    amen to that Casper!

we have quite enough robot people already thankyouverymuch! :D

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I wish I was like Astroboy! He can fly and has red boots, woo!!

4. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    I was being moulded into a society robot.

I realized the same horrifying truth at the age of 15 when I was in highschool, upset that my lowest grade was a 94% in math. [face_plain] I pretty much had a nervous breakdown, and realized what the rest of my life would be like... so I quit school.
    I don't consider myself a drop-out. I learned more out of the educational system then I ever did when I was just mindlessly regurgitating knowledge. I got my GED, and I don't regret my decision for a moment.

It's a very liberating realization, isn't it? :)

5. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    woohoo Meg, fellow GEDer right here! :D

*high five*

i quit high school for pretty much the same reasons too, and i never regretted it either.

:)

6. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    [image=http://www.highfive.nl/images/topind_clapopen.gif]

That's great, Tom! :D

7. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Aww, I graduated. :(

I'm such a loser. :_|

:p

8. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I graduated, too -- but I kept graduating every 5 years.

I had to break the routine. I wasn't born to follow a scheme.

9. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life after high school. It seemed everyone else knew the course of their life, but I needed some time off. So, I took a year off and then moved to Brisbane. I rocked up at the University one morning and said what courses do you have places in, they said IT, and I took it. I never did IT in high school, so it was sort of a challenge to do something different.

Of course, if you find me bearded and drunk in a Brisbane bar, I was wrong.

Hey, that's not so bad.

;)

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    After a VERY bad year in Grade 12, I took a year off from education to decide what I wanted to do with my life. Don't regret it, because I was registered at college to take an accounting course. Accounting? WTF was I thinking?!?!

11. Bithysith

Oct 6, 2000
    It took me quite a while to decide what I wanted to major in. I was on the line between Anthropology, digital art/design, and Psychology. After doing some research, I discovered that the latter degree was more versatile in the professional arena, so that's what I'm going to pursue. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.