main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My JC New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Flare we know you secretly loved it when the games social thread became the games BSG/FF/SG-1 discussion thread.

2. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I propose a rule: Whoever gets the first post there is the Mod. :p

3. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Growth is the name of the game. The JC has unlimited potential. Expanding the interests of the boards as a whole is an excellent move to tide the place over 'till the televisions series take the spotlight, and become the primary pillars for mainstream Star Wars, and the Jedi Council forums.

4. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I support/endorse this product and/or idea. :)

Now, doesn't everybody feel better?

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Wow, this is good news.

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Oh I most certainly do. :p

A tablespoon of JCC. A pinch of Amphitheatre and hint of Census and you get a SFAF forum (Sci-Fi and Fantasy Forum).

7. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Junk? Firefly ain't luh-suh!

(In otherwords, I agree with Leona :p)

Do we have a date for when this forum is going to open? (sorry if it's already been said)

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    LOL! SFAF, got a nice ring to it. I love it already :p

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I have a few questions:

1) Will there be a banner contest for this new board?

2) Will we be allowed to have Sci - Fi icons other than SW (I guess Tracy would be more qualified to answer that than most)?

3) Will the mods for this new forum be existing mods or newbie mods? (and Will E_V be modding this forum?)

That's all. I can't wait for this new board!:D

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    1) Will there be a banner contest for this new board?

As Sapient said in his resolution, a banner has already been made. :) And according to his word, it's "beautiful".

2) Will we be allowed to have Sci - Fi icons other than SW (I guess Tracy would be more qualified to answer that than most)?

Hmm, good question. But in my very humble opinion I think this would be too much of a growth spurt- it would make the JC's bones hurt. Now if these non-SW icons were specific just to the forum and couldn't be used elsewhere is better, I think, but that would be a heck of a job for zerosleep to do- for a user to have one icon in one forum and another icon in the rest. Just too much of a coding headache probably and not even part of the IGN system.

3) Will the mods for this new forum be existing mods or newbie mods? (and Will E_V be modding this forum?)

Existing mods at first. A team of six, most likely. However after the forum has grown and the mods have seen the areas where rules must be laid, there will be one new moderator, per Sape's preference.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004

1) There probably will be. It will need a banner. Whether a contest is in order is another question or someone can whip one up for the time being

2) I like the idea of Sci-Fi/Fantasy icons. However this is still predominantly a SW board, I don't see it happening. Maybe on holidays the icons will come out like usual.

3) As Sapes said there will be six mods. Sapes will be one. The other five will be a combination of existing mods who want to double duty or newb mods. I believe Sapes wants the latter, but if such service cannot be found, then current mods will cover it.

I'm just saying what the mods have said in this thread. I can't vouch for the MS, but these are the best answers I can give based on what I read. Hope that helps :)

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    This forum would be fantastic to have. I hope it happens. :)

13. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    We will not be having non star wars icons as things stand currently. My logic is that we have the senate, and census, and jcc... none of those are particularily star wars either, but we don't have icons for them. The new forum won't really change anything.

Part of ensuring this is a predominately sw site is keeping certain things like the main banner star wars, and all the icons star wars :)

14. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Potential!! UNLIMITED POTENTIAL!![/Sapient] :p

On icons, I would say there's a chance we'll be seeing a few more 'prize icons' such as the recent Harry Potter ones, but other than that, probably no.

15. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Wow a Sci-Fi forum, sweet! I'm very excited about this, bravo! This a great direction the JC is going, can't wait for 2006!

16. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    This is certainly going to be an awesome forum - I am really looking forward to see it grow and build as time goes on.

//bans everyone

Problem solved. ;)

17. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    wow

this is cool...I think its is a great idea...I really can't not wait to see what is going to be and how all of the new thing are going to make this site grow :)

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I can't wait for the first argument:

"The DaVinci Code is fantasy, it belongs in here!"

"No, it's based on fact, it goes in Lit!"

19. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002

There will eventually be at least one newbie mod to cover it. As for your other question that remains to be seen but if the goddess is willing then yes.

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    it's a logical progression for the boards so i think ultimately it's a good idea. i'm not sure how successful it will be at attracting new users as opposed to maintaining interest in current ones. it may coax more sci-fi loving lurkers out of hiding, though (for better or worse).

based on the potential success of the venture going into the early months of 2006 and beyond, is there future provisions for, within the new branch, individual forums based on the successful franchises? ie harry potter, star trek, LOTR, etc? (and potentially creating exponentially more activity) or is the mindset that this would ultimately be too far removed from star wars?

and yes i did use potentially and exponentially in the same sentence.

21. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    It's a good concept and admittedly, a logical direction to go in for the site. Just one question though. How do you anticipate this will affect the Ampitheater, since a number of the threads I read there could just as easily belong in this new forum? I know you said you were looking at that.

22. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Cooking!?!?! :p

EDIT: I think it's a nice idea to let the forum bed in by itself. If from the start rules are laid down as to what threads will be at home in the AMP, JCC and now SFF, then the 'natural' balance between the three won't be found. Or at least found so easily. It's best to let threads pop up as they may in SFF and watch the impact this has on the JCC and AMP, see where (given the new option) people want to discuss things.

EDIT #2: Actually I'm going to disagree with myself slightly. I am a tad concerned about reacting to a particularly good / bad episode of something in (now) three forums. If the JCC and AMP are seperated by tone, and the SFF is accepting of 'both tones', then the onus is very much on the SFF forum to grasp the popular discussion for itself. There are clear reasons for reacting in the JCC and AMP seperately... but not a clear reason to react again in SFF. Therefore, the JCC and AMP are going to lose some of their sci-fi fantasy discussion. They have to, otherwise the SFF is going to struggle (and I can't see that happening).

23. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Absolutely, I couldn't have put it better myself. This forum is an excellent idea, one perfectly timed as well.

24. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I think this is a great idea and am already looking forward to it. :)

Thanks.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I still want a sports fourm. :p Anyways, this is a fantastic idea. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.