main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My JC New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
  2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It's GORGEOUS!!! :eek:

Oh, I love it!

Who's the maker?

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Need you ask? ;)

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I am disappointed that the dreamy picture of Kirk is unlikely to be seen on my monitors resolution. :p

5. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    I thought it was him, roo!

I only wish the HP parts were a little larger but that's alright.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Love the banner... nice mix of a bunch of things :p

7. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I like the idea(as a SciFi fan, it will be cool to have a whole forum devoted to it :D), but I have some concerns as well. Mainly, that this will take exposure away from the EU/Lit and SSSW, which is where the focus of Star Wars will shift to with the end of the movies. This doesn't seem like a forum that will end up becoming a sprawling forum that produces alot of posts and new users(like the movie forums in the past, or like the JCC does), but more like a forum that will be popular at first(new things always attract attention), and then, once it's not new or exciting anymore, will be like a SciFi-specific version of the Ampitheatre, a nice forum that has good discussion between a few people, but nothing that really attracts alot of new users or creates alot of excitement(no offense to the Ampitheatre). And then I think you have to ask yourself if it's really necessary to have a forum like that, given that(from the first post), creating new users and excitement on these boards is a big reason why it's being created?

I guess my feeling is that it's really great that the MS is concerned with keeping the level of activity on these forums up, and trying to think of new ideas to keep this place fresh and exciting. But at the same time, I'm not sure this is really the best way to accomplish that in the long run.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    This is obvious to say this I know, but that's the challenge. It will be down to the forum mods (and users) to ensure the forum retains a good level of traffic after the initial novelty has worn off. SFF will, it seems, be home to JCC type scfi-fi discussion as well as AMP type discussion. So I suppose the more chatty / light-hearted style (with, hopefully, potential for games and larks and stuff) that the AMP doesn't tend to have will prevent SFF falling to that trap.

EDIT: Plus what Coruscant said about multi-thread discussion about one franchise.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    There is just so much in that banner to love!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Well, I don't know if sprawling's the right word, Amos, but I certainly don't think that, in the long run even, SFAF will be only as or less busy than Amph. The forum will allow specific threads on all sci-fi and fantasy, not just limiting to one thread. Kind of like the special forums for Star Wars discussion.

I think that because of this, the SFAFF has a lot of potential. Because, hey, we're all nerds/geeks/whatever here and a damned good portion (or majority I should say) of this site is probably passionate about SFAF. By allowing multi-thread discussion in SFAF on a non-SW SF/F subject, it will keep existing users and convince new users that perhaps they don't need to go to other forums where, say, Harry Potter is discussed in length. Such a forum would be the Chamber of Secrets forums, belonging to Mugglenet.

Now, of course, to truly prove this, it needs to be tried. And I hope and am sure it will be a tremendous success.

11. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    This sounds great! Can't wait for a D&D thread. ;)

12. Master-Kenobi

Master-Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2002
    the banner looks very nice...

good job :D

13. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    The banner rules! :)

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    OMG Teh Naked Woman!!!

:p

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm saddened that Godzilla isn't featured on the banner, but King Kong is.

16. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Look behind Arnie and Gizmo. That's the original first-appearance Gojira.

There are about 30 unrelated movie images incorporated in this banner. As much as I could get in without making a mess.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Thank you gabe for pointing that out to me. ;) :p

18. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    This is a fantastic idea, both from the point of view of expanding the boards and in general.

Also, the banner is beautiful. :cool:

19. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    As malkie said, I think this is an obvious attempt on DarthSapient's part to merge us with a Star Trek forum. We're onto you Sapes. o_O :p

Excellent decision. =D=

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Just to keep everyone in the ever-changing loop.... We are getting closer to opening the door for business. But now there will be doors.

- There will be two distinct forums right up front - Sci-Fi & Fantasy: Television & Film and Books & Comics
    - gabe is developing a Books & Comics banner
    - Raven's working up a stylesheet for the first and will also work on the second one
    - Television & Film will have 5 mods plus me as a sixth and I'll drop out after it gets off the ground
    - Books & Comics will have 4 mods.
    - We may have a decision on who is modding what by the end of the week
    - Working up a category description for both forums off the main page
    - Working up a sticky thread welcoming users and outlining the basics of each forum, about a paragraph worth of information.

:)

21. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Thats great info Sapes thanks. :)

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Television & Film = [face_love]

23. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Omigosh, you guys are pulling no shots! :eek:

And both those two, of course, will be allowed to have so-called specific threads? :)

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, but not right up front. Like any forum, official threads are created as a result of what users discuss so much that it warrants its own dedicated thread. We're going to see what the users actually post and be prepared as necessary to create official threads. So expect them, just not initially.

25. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    gabe, you sicken me with your abilities at making those banner thingies.

:p

I wait with baited breath to begin spamming the Television and Films forum. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.