main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My JC New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I second that guild idea, being the President of the Guild at my school and a prolific writer of sci-fi and fantasy.

EDIT:

For example, what if I post a thread to gather critique about some of my sci-fi pieces?

See, now, the only problem with this is that you should be a little concerned that some may desire to steal your work. I mean, it's kinda pointless to, because of the following reasons...

a). If your concept, story, writing, etc... is good enough, there likely will be those who will steal it and try to get a copyright before you do.

b). If your writing's bad but your concept is just amazing, it's gonna get stolen.

c). If the writing's good but there's really no concept, a formulaic story, etc..., everyone will grow disinterested with it.

d). if everything's bad it won't even get critiqued because people won't be able to pay it comment and won't give a rat's ass about posting constructive criticism because they'll think you're a bad writer forever and sign you off.

Additionally, if this idea were to come to pass, we might as well make a non-SW user W.I.P. forum. But it is my sincere belief as a writer since the age of eleven that this will just be a goldmine to shamelessly take ideas and concepts w/o modification and encourage plagiarism.

Now a guild on the other hand would be better because we could discuss plot details, character, etc... in search of some advice and ideas, w/o publicly displaying our non-copyrighted works.

But even that I have some paranoid ideas about because well I can't say... I just don't want to give... certain people... ideas.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    That's something that we're looking at farther down the road. Nothing concrete by any means, but Sape brought it up in his initial post to the Mod Squad. His thoughts was this as the first step to something like that across other genres, later on. If it works out and the interest is still there. Still nothing more than an idea right now.

3. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Wait.. which idea? The Guild? A W.I.P. critique forum? :confused:

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Sorry, I'm talking more about what we already have like Fan Fic, Fan Site, Fan Films, etc. Not the guild or WIP.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Another question about the new forums, what category on the main board are they going to be in? Community? a new one just for those two forums?

Also, is there any additional news regarding how soon they are likely to be up?

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The Sci-Fi & Fantasy Forum will be its own category. The television/films is ready to go. Gabe showed me a banner this morning for books/comics. He's working on finishing up some touches to it. Once he's done, a stylesheet will be created. I'd say tomorrow at the earliest.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I admire both your promptness Sapes and gabe. Very nice indeed.

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Television & Film
    Television & Film - Join fellow fans from around the world to discuss all of your favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy moments of any era from the big screen to the small screen.

Errant_Venture
    malkieD2
    DorkmanScott
    DVeditor
    ObiWan506

Books & Comics
    Books & Comics - A place for serious and light-hearted discussion of novels, comics and more. The entire realm of Sci-Fi and Fantasy is awaiting you.

Raven
    droideka27
    Mastadge
    Ender_Sai

9. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Thanks for the info on the mods Sapes, but to clarify will you be joining both teams for the initial start up period, and are you still looking at new mods to eventually move into these forums, so that the mods lined up are not over stretched in their already existing roles?

10. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Awesome mod selections! And of course you'll be modding these forums in the beginning, too, right? :)

11. Worf_son_of_Mogh

Worf_son_of_Mogh Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2005
    It will be a glorious forum!

I am Worf, son of Mogh.

12. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Any idea of when they are being set up?

-The Scummy-

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Excellent mod selections, I am truly looking forward to this new forum.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    So when exactly are these fourms going to be open for business?

15. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    From Sape, earlier on this page:

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  17. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    The Sci-Fi & Fantasy Forum will be its own category. The television/films is ready to go. Gabe showed me a banner this morning for books/comics. He's working on finishing up some touches to it. Once he's done, a stylesheet will be created. I'd say tomorrow at the earliest.

Sweet. And great mod choices as well.

18. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Good interim mod choices. Very good to keep the oldbies in there to start it out. If we started out with 6-12 new mods as thought in past weeks, it would literally be hell and we surely don't need that.

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    This is very exciting to see this happening.

20. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    w00t, I managed to guess most of the mod choices. Except for malkie and Tracy. :p

I mean, EV, Dorkman, DV and 506 wouldn't not do Sci-Fi movies, and Gandy, Mastadge and ES are the Amphitheatre residents, thus book lovers, so I guess the choices must be the best choices :p

21. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Quality mod choices

Really looking forward to this opening up :)

22. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Nice Mod selection. :)

23. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    As great as this forum sounds, I have one concern....

Now we'll have 3 threads pertaining to the same sci fi work going in 3 different forums. Amp, Sci-Fi, and YJCC. Why was this forum made? I'm sorry, this is the first I've heard about it and well.....the sports forum made more sense imho. :confused:

24. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Typho: This forum was made to diversify the interest of the JC and move it beyond simply Star Wars to hopefully retain long-time posters. Sci-Fi/Fantasy is not a huge leap from why we are already here, while Sports obviously is.

I would also say that it wasn't one forum or the other. If there was a need for the Sports forum, it would quite easily be created tomorrow, alongside the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum. It isn't like this new forum made a Sports forum impossible, nor is it taking its placce.

25. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Boogie is right.

Are we going to have some threads that overlap each other in different Forums? Sure. But for the most part all new Sci-Fi Discussion will take place in the new Forums. Anything already existing in both the Amphitheatre and JCC will remain; they will not be moved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.