main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My JC New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    This does mean therefore, the JCC is going to lose sci-fi and fantasy discussion. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday. It's a slow migration, but a migration it is.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Hopefully not - the idea is to generate a new forum with more indepth focussed discussion on sci-fi. The same areas will be covered in the JCC, but with a more typically-JCC type discussion.

UserA - did you see Stargate last night?
    UserB - yeah, that commander bird is hot
    UserC - boobies!
    UserD - poop
    UserE - I thought the plot was pretty weak considering it contradicted a previous episode
    UserD - [image=O RLY?]
    UserC - boobies!

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
  4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    What I'm getting at, and what 506 seemed to be discounting, was... say a new Star Trek movie appears on the horizon, would a thread on it be welcome in both the JCC and the new sci-fi forum?

5. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    By my understanding, yes, you could have a nearly identical thread in both forums.

That to some extent already happens between the JCC and Senate, and JCC and Amp forums. However, the major difference is the type of responses you'd get in each forum. Senate typically involves longer, well though out responses with facts and figures, while the JCC is a more laid-back conversational-style forum.

I'd expect a new StarTr*k movie thread in the new forum to get indepth discussion about plot directions, character development and possible new technologies used in the production, while in the JCC we'd be more likely to get images posted of the new StarTr*k hotties clevage.

edit

I'm being a bit dramatic, and insulting the JCC members to some extent, however I'm just trying to make a point ;)

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Are we going to have some threads that overlap each other in different Forums? Sure. But for the most part all new Sci-Fi Discussion will take place in the new Forums.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. I'd just go with what malkie said.

7. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Sorry, I didn't elaborate more in my post. Yes, what malkie is quite right. I don't expect the new Forum to detract from any Sci-Fi discussion elsewhere. I think the Sci-Fi discussion with center around the new Forums, but any threads made in the JC or Amp. should be okay for casual/light-heart discussion.

:)

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The intended aim then, is to strike a balance between what might go on in the AMP and what might go on in the JCC.

Tone is the way to retain identity.

EDIT: So uh... what's the current eta?

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It was going to be soon, but honostly I have no idea. Some people want to push it back till January. I wouldn't mind for it to be today.

10. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Why push it back til January? Because people are going to be away for the holidays?

11. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    January? :eek: Like EV I wouldn't mind seeing it open today :(

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    A lot is based on the banner's arrival, stylesheet creation, and weighing all of that against the users and mods available during the next few weeks.

13. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003

Wow malkie, you just gave me the best laugh I've had on the JC all week. I think that post needs to be added to the "malkie's sense of humor thread"

14. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I bet Users C and D are socks of User E.

15. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    no, UserC is the sock of a perm banned member

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Then User D is a hanger on, quick to home in on a fallen comrade.

17. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    UserA is complaining that the JCC isn't as good as it once was, despite only having been a member since Jan05.

Anyways, getting a bit offtopic ;)

We're still ironing out a few fine details (ie mod coverage) before we openup.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think it's cool that you're in on this one malkie... I will call you, 'The Doctor'. ;)

19. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    many people do - must be the scarf I constantly wear (or because I hang out in telephone boxes :( )

20. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I can't believe I didn't put any Doctor Who in the sci-fi banner.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No heart of the TARDIS for you then.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Anything already existing in both the Amphitheatre and JCC will remain; they will not be moved.<<

That's still under discussion, actually. It's a matter of balancing any potentially percieved negative aspect of having larger threads at the start vs the preservation/continuation of existing discussions and the benefits that provides.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think existing threads should stay where they are. The new forum shouldn't be given such an artificial start. It would be robbing the JCC and AMP of good discussion (which seems to be an on / off thing right now), and robbing the new forum of a chance to form it's own identity. It should start from scratch. There is going to be a change in sci-fi discussion across the boards, but it shouldn't be shoehorned into place.

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Everton, I agree with your post.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I agree there are certain things to be gained from starting from scratch, I think it very likely that the SFAF threads will just end up taking away users from the Amp and JCC threads on "crossover topics" and end up killing those existing threads with newer ones that will, in essence, be the same thread anyways. And I just don't see a reason that's worth sacrificing the existing discussions for clones, when there's so much to benefit from having access to those older posts and it's unlikely to alter how the threads (and, again, this is only pertaining to "general discussion" topics, not every single sub-topic) in the SFAF forum will function in terms of their own identity since, again, they'll almost inevitably, IMO, become extensions of the existing Amp/JCC threads.

And so it is with that concern raised that the issue is being discussed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.