main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My JC New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm extremely pleased to see that we're getting a dedicated forum for SciFi/Fantasy. That's going to be my new home, I can tell you that right now.

On moving threads issue, I think that in Amp, there are a couple of threads that should probably be moved, given their content, such as a couple that I've started up, focusing on SciFi pilot episodes and opening credits, while some of the movie threads might stand a move.

However, thinking about it, keeping the existing Battlestar Galactica and Stargate threads in place might be more prudent, as we're getting new episodes for those series in early January. That might serve as a good place to start off. That being said, I think that the existing threads should remain open, because there's a lot of good discussion in there.

My 3 cents.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's felt that "hosted" discussions are more of a staple of Amp and should remain there.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I had actually proposed that existing threads be moved to the new forums by request only, so that those threads that wanted to be moved to the new forum could, while those that wanted to remain could do so also. Most of the responses to that idea centered on whether it would be difficult to implement (such as should we take a vote of members of the thread before moving it or set a threshold of requests before it can be moved).

If a thread really wants to be moved to the new forum, I'm sure that something could be worked out between the mods of the forums involved and the users of the thread, but otherwise, there should be no problems starting new threads.

Kimball Kinnison

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    EDIT: Double post, or hit the wrong button... or something.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    If you let threads start afresh in SFAF, then you do risk making clones... but it's then up to the forum mods and users to ensure a SFAF thread doesn't become a doppelganger of what one might expect to see in the JCC. However if you move threads across, you are both moving existing discussion over (robbing the rich to feed the poor) and setting a precedent for the style of discussion to come from what's already in the thread. The forum won't have the chance to truly develop by itself. And it's too complicated, too forced. The JCC and AMP will lose right off the bat and the SFAF will 'gain' without having done anything. I don't think that's a good way to let a new forum off the leash, so I'd much prefer starting afresh... because then at least it is the present day and not the past that determines how the forum progresses.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well there's also the point that if we move threads over, we can always move them or lock them if they prove to not be as positive a force as desired in favor of newly created threads, whereas if we start off with new threads, and the Amp threads do end up suffering, we can't move them over by then since SFAF will already have its threads, and we've gone and killed off the Amp threads for no reason. No going back, in other words.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't think doing things as an 'experiment' is a good idea. Moving threads back to theJCC or AMP after a period of time is only going to cause more confusion in both SFAF and JCC/AMP.

If the JCC/AMP threads are killed off, then that's because people have decided to make the move to SFAF for that type of discussion. And if, over time, that's the what happens, then nobody will be able to object. It's just 'natural'. If you bring in existing threads from the start to populate SFAF, then the JCC/AMP threads get killed off right there and then. No chance for a balance to be reached.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    But then, in either scenario, the Amp threads are killed off.

9. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    It all comes down to where the conversation in the thread is going. Moving it around would perhaps kill it anyhow, so why not leave it where it stands.

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Better an evolution than a sudden stab in the dark.

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Quick question, what will be the spoiler policy in these new forums? Since the JCC and Amphitheatre use completely different policies that work against one another, will either one be used, or will an alternate like that of Lit?

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I'd say it'd depend on what kind of thread it is. The books people can come up with their own, but it'll probably be a week for any given movie/episode. Since most people will see the new episode that night and a week for a movie isn't bad too long or too short.

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Any updates as to when the new forum will open?

14. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Still unknown. Believe me everyone will know when I have some kind of word. Every day I check and everyday I curse. Within a few weeks that much I am sure of.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Okay thanks. I'm also checking back everday although I'm cursing when I don't see an update. :p

16. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I have seen all the great threads in the Amphitheratre (or however it's spelled) that involve sci-fi and fantasy, and they belong there. Let new threads pop up in the new forum, and keep the old one in the Theatre. Just my opinion.

17. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Revan thats probably what will be happening.

Jada I am the bearer of sad news at this time they feel it'd be a diservice to open it during the holidays while people are away, both mods and users alike. So it looks like it'll be January unless we get a miracle.

18. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    :(

-The Scummy-

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i've been known to pull off a few miracles in my time [face_mischief] O:) [face_praying]

*starts pulling off a miracle*

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Looking at the days where mods and regular users aren't going to be around for the holidays, with most of those mods being the one's responsible for the new forums, we'd be setting the new forums up for failure by opening them now as opposed to the first week of the new year when we're fully staffed. Therefore the new forums will be open sometime during the first week of the new year. Thank you for your patience and understanding. :)

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Superb. Looking forward to it. :D

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I can't wait! :D It's gonna be something to behold!

23. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    Jolly good!

Sith Droid out.

24. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Teh yay!

-The Scummy-

25. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8