My Jedi Costume: The Reality.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kev-Mas_Colcha, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    How am I gonna go about getting the vest pattern for this costume?[image=http://blananar.www4.dotnetplayground.com/kmc2.jpg]

It's probably gonna be tough, considering that I'd have to alter a pattern that looks nowhere NEAR it.

Making it: I'm gonna be needing vinyl(easy part), but I'm also gonna be needing VACCUFORM(armor pieces)

And, how would I go about the leatherwork on this(wristguards).

Also, I need to know, using a web belt buckle, would it be wise to use leather, or should I just use nylon.

One more thing. I need this costume done by June 27th, for an exclusive showing of A New Hope, at the biggest screen in my State, and I want to be able to come costumed. HELP PLEASE!!!!
  2. davenwjedi Jedi Master

star 1
    <<<One more thing. I need this costume done by June 27th, for an exclusive showing of A New Hope, at the biggest screen in my State, and I want to be able to come costumed. HELP PLEASE!!!! >>>

i didn't know LFL was allowing anyone to show any part of the OT ???

NWJEDI
    dave
  3. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    yea, but it was given permission by george!!!
  4. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
  5. SobiWan Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm no molding or cloth expert, but I have constructed a Jedi costume, boots and done some vacuform, so I can offer my perspective:

For any new patterns, the simplest way is to use newspaper and tape together a mock fit, then use that as a basis for a trial garment using a cheap cloth to determine any discrepencies. Mark up and make cuts to the trial garment, then either tear it apart to see the changes or eyeball the changes onto your newspaper pattern. Make your real piece.

As for attaching 'armor' to cloth, first you want to get the right shape. Make a newspaper shape based off of your trial garment, then use that as the basis for sculpting your plastic.

You may not need to vacuform since your pieces are simple. I've heard others say sintra is easier, but I've never tried it myself. It certainly is easier than building a vacuform unit unless you already have one or access to one.

Attach the armor with glues specifically for plastic. These can be had at any hardware store. Make sure the label says it can adhere to cloth or leather.

As for assembling leather garments, its just sewing with stronger thread and needle since leather is thick and dense. You might be able to do it with a machine, but expect some hand sewing too.
  6. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    I am planning on having it be vaccuform(since someone in my FF has built a table for use), or sintra, velcroed onto a vinyl vest using self adhesive velcro. Thank you for the help, I'll keep that in mind.

BTW: I already knew about sintra, and was considering it.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.