main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends My Jedi, My Brother, Myself.... AUTHOR NOTE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    :eek: OMG! He created something something that he can't control. Just because of that it caused him his son. This is too good to be forgotten. You gotta update soon. I hope Obi will be okay. [face_praying]

2. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Oh man, that's horrible!!! *sobs* I hope Qui can figure something out and fast!

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Getting married will do that??? COngrats on such a wonderful moment in your life. How your hubby is a SW fan. LOL

What a wonderful fic!! Just catching up with it and I wind up reading up to such a sad and tragic spot. Excellent writing!

4. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh wow! So many reviews, so little time! lol I'm feeling really flattered and honored that I seem to have picked up such a large following so quickly! Thanks guys!

Layren- ::passes tissues:: More on the way...

Darksaber- heehee- he's trying, but will he succeed much longer?

Joinme- Yeah, Moral Lesson #1: Don't create something that could backfire and kill you too, duh! lol

Judsta-
    :( Don't you just feel her pain and betrayal? If my child dies, I do not want to know if my husband were the one who created their death. I might be in jail for murder...

Bastet- Someone will...I won't be completely evil and kill off all the children. The question is: will the cure be found before Obi-Wan dies? ::dramatic music plays::

LilQui-Gon- Welcome! And, wow, for the compliment! Don't worry, if the muse is with me, I believe in keeping my readers in suspense only for as long as it takes me to write the next chapter lol

Arwen- Qui's a smart one...he's always got something up his sleeve...
    ;)

Leona- Welcome back! My hubby is an original SW fan. Born before ANH came out, so our living room is a SW shrine. No joke, lol. Once we get it all up, I'll try to take a pic and invite you to see it. And thank you so much for the compliment! I love to write-my only worry is that I don't write well enough for my readers to see my world. :/ ::clears throat:: George Lucas' world... [face_whistling]

5. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Five

"Two days more the Healers need to reach Yanark. Why ask do you, Master Qui-Gon?"

Qui-Gon faced Master Yoda, alone, in the quarters he was supposed to be sharing with Obi-Wan. Dawn had broken and he had gained no sleep as he waited for word of a change in Obi-Wan. Now he was hours away from a meeting with planetary officials while all he wanted to do was stay by Obi-Wan's side. He needed guidance, so he woke Yoda at the Temple.

"Master Yoda," he said respectfully, keeping all emotion from his tone, and heart. "I fear I have bad news: Obi-Wan has contacted the plague."

Yoda gazed at him with sadness in his eyes. "So rush you hope for the Healers?"

"Not just for Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon insisted, though he knew he was telling a half-truth. "But for the dying children. I have since learned that the ruler of Yanark engineered this plague for Jyniaire and it mutated, breaking beyond their control or efforts to stop it."

Some of his frustration and concern must have seeped through his voice for the little green Jedi Master held up a hand to pause him. "Your padawan, strong is he," Yoda assured him. "Fight he will. Lose hope, you must not. Find a cure, you should, but keep in mind the reason you are there you must. Two objectives you now have."

"I know," Qui-Gon sighed. He hesitated, then said, "But, Master, it kills so quickly?" He stopped, unable to continue.

Yoda raised one plump digit. "Trust the Force, you should, Qui-Gon Jinn. And coming to Yanark I am. Danger there is should this plague escape."

"Then I will continue to work until Obi-Wan has?I will work until you arrive, Master Yoda," Qui-Gon said. He bowed his head slightly. "May the Force be with you."

"And with your apprentice. Clouded his future is. Much shifting in the Force there is. Like this, I do not."

~~~~

Qui-Gon decided to check on Obi-Wan before he departed to the rendezvous point to meet with the rulers of Yanark and Jyniaire. To his pleased surprise, Obi-Wan was awake and sipping some kind of broth. The boy was pale, but no longer sweated and trembled like he had been.

"Good morning, Padawan," he greeted as he sat down.

Obi-Wan carefully placed the bowl of broth on a side table and faced his master. "Hello, Master Qui-Gon. Have I been asleep long?"

"Half a day," Qui-Gon answered. He took a moment to contemplate his padawan. "While you are aware, I have questions I need answered?"

Obi-Wan raised a hand to cut him off politely. His blue eyes were serious as he said, "Yes, I know. You want to know how I was infected, correct?"

Qui-Gon gave him a sardonic smile. "The thought had crossed my mind."

As Obi-Wan told of the encounter in the marketplace, Qui-Gon watched his movements. Usually, Obi-Wan was very expressive, either in facial expressions or in gestures. Now, he moved very little, as if any movement was calculated for the least amount of drain of his energy?or the least amount of pain.

When his padawan finished, Qui-Gon nodded. "That makes sense. I will seek out this female Yanarkan?she's probably somewhere in the medical center?and speak with her when I am able. For now, I must go try to mediate between Yanark and Jyniaire."

Obi-Wan nodded, grave. "A favor, Master?"

Qui-Gon lifted an eyebrow.

"Could you allow me to listen in through the comlink? I fear this place will make me go insane with the quiet." Obi-Wan smiled.

Qui-Gon chuckled. "I will see what I can do, Padawan. Just try to behave while I'm away."

"I always behave."

The tall Jedi laughed himself out of the door, but stopped when he saw the expression on Doctor Ba'nai's face. "What is it?" he inquired softly, not wanting Obi-Wan to hear through the closed door.

"Your padawan is making a good effort," the doctor told him slowly, "but recent blood tests show that he is about to enter the second stage. Right before you came in, he began to cough. I'm surprised he didn't while you were in the room."

Qui-Gon regarded the closed door thoughtfully. H

6. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    :eek: another evil cliffie!!

You are a fantastic writer, I must say it. This sounds so much like a JA book, in fact its better than all the ones Ive read.
    Move over Jude Watson!

[face_dancing]

Lensap's eyes sparkled with tears as he reached across the table to briefly grasp Gunarie's hand in the gesture of agreement. "I can only hope so, Gunarie."

:_| That moment was so poignant and heart warming, I almost cried!! *wipes watery eyes*

I was really annoyed that they kept arguing, but the mention of the children got them, I'm glad. I only hope the scientists will find the cure before they discover how the plague arose..

and oh no, Obi is in the second stage...

and eeek!! will he go into coma? I hope not. :(

I really enjoy your updates so much! :D I hope the next one will not take too long.. [face_praying]

7. JediGaeliaWindstar

JediGaeliaWindstar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Wow, this story is very beautiful and compelling. I must applaud on your efforts to re-creating the works of George Lucas. If i didn't know any better I would say, Move over George Lucas, there is another movie comming on!

8. judsta36

judsta36 Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    I'm so excited about Yoda's arrival![face_dancing]

Thank you for posting so frequently - that totally rocks!

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

I just had to jump out of my lurking spot and review
    this is good.
    I just hope Qui-Gon can find a cure for our Obi-wan.
    It must be serious if Yoda is coming.[face_dancing]

10. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    "I know," Qui-Gon sighed. He hesitated, then said, "But, Master, it kills so quickly?" He stopped, unable to continue.

Yoda raised one plump digit. "Trust the Force, you should, Qui-Gon Jinn. And coming to Yanark I am. Danger there is should this plague escape."

"Then I will continue to work until Obi-Wan has?I will work until you arrive, Master Yoda," Qui-Gon said. He bowed his head slightly. "May the Force be with you."

"And with your apprentice. Clouded his future is. Much shifting in the Force there is. Like this, I do not."

Neither do I, Master Yoda, neither do I....8-}

Noooooooooooo! Evil cliffie! Evil author! Leave my Obi-Wan alone!!

11. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005

:D But like this I do! My favorite kind of fic is always the one that keeps you wondering if your favorite character is going to live until the end of the story! :D That is the Sith part of me. The Jedi part of me likes to see them live! [:D]

I like your style; you write very well! =D=

And I like your story line! It reminds me of the innocent little experiment that resulted in the "Killer Bees" which have sadly taken so many lives.

Congrats on your marriage, and being married to a Star Wars fan who lets you keep writing! [face_dancing]

I am glad that I found your story! More, please! [face_batting]

@};- @};- @};-

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooo .... horrible cliffe :p

*Sniffs* reaches for tissues* this better not be an AU....

13. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Joinme- You are a fantastic writer, I must say it. This sounds so much like a JA book, in fact its better than all the ones Ive read. Move over Jude Watson!

::jaw drops and is speechless::

JediGaelia-
    I must applaud on your efforts to re-creating the works of George Lucas. If i didn't know any better I would say, Move over George Lucas, there is another movie comming on!

::still speechless::

::recovers:: Wow, guys...wow. Thank you for the very high praise! Now if only George frequented the boards... haha!

Judsta- I try to please, lol.

Gkilkenny- Welcome, delurker! You all are just...blowing my mind with your compliments! I truly don't know what to say!

Darksaber-
    Noooooooooooo! Evil cliffie! Evil author! Leave my Obi-Wan alone!! [face_devil]

StarDrifter- Welcome! Again, thank you for the wonderful comments! And, yes, my hubby does "let" me keep writing, though I fear he has no choice, haha! He doesn't mind as long as I read the stories to him as well.

Layren- Aw, c'mon. You know me better than that! Have I ever done an AU? Wait... ::remembers Adrift:: Nm.
    [face_devil]

Feeling evil today... lol

14. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    AUTHOR NOTE: Master Healer Han'yaie belongs to Layren, who graciously allowed me to borrow him for this fic. If you want to use him, please ask her. Thank you!

Chapter Six

"What happened?" Qui-Gon demanded to the medical room at large. Several long necks turned at the commanding tone he used, but it was again Doctor Ba'nai who approached him.

"Master Jedi," she began sorrowfully, "I'm afraid that your padawan has slipped into stage two. He had a severe convulsion three hours ago, and we attached him to oxygen masks, heart monitors, and various other apparatus to monitor his every slightest movement now. I tried to reach you, but could not."

Qui-Gon felt numb. "I was in transit between Yanark and Jyniaire," he murmured, talking more to himself than to her. "I was speaking to Obi-Wan when he?"

The female doctor's voice floated to his ears. "Master Jedi, please sit here."

He was pushed gently but firmly onto a soft hoverchair. His mind was in turmoil. Obi-Wan was now in stage two of the plague. He had only two more days to live?

"Drink this, it will soothe you."

For once in his life, he obediently drank what a doctor gave him. It tasted like bantha sweat that had been sitting in the scorching Tatooine suns and he almost spit it out, but it brought him back to the present and out of his defeatist mindset. "Can I see him?"

The doctor's eyes were kind. "Yes, though he is resting to save his strength. You must allow him this rest. It may help prolong the?effects."

Qui-Gon nodded once to show he understood, then followed her into the room that held Obi-Wan and now two other Yanarkan youths. One Yanarkan male was in the final stages of the plague; his family and friends gathered, weeping quietly, beside his unconscious form. The other Yanarkan youth was a young woman who did not seem to be sick at all?Qui-Gon surmised that she must be in the beginning stage of the plague.

Then his eye rested on his padawan and his heart almost broke in two. Obi-Wan lay in the medical bed with a long tube over his mouth and nose to give him more oxygen. Wires snaked everywhere along his naked torso, connecting to various other monitors that guarded his progress and vital signs. His eyes were closed in sleep, the long lashes fluttering once in a while.

"Oh, Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon sighed in grief.

"I'll leave you two alone," Doctor Ba'nai whispered as she backed out of the room, glancing once at the Yanarkan male and his family.

Qui-Gon barely heard her as he sat next to his apprentice. He focused into the Force to feel the same level of strength of his padawan that he was used to, though there was a dark tinge to the outer regions of Obi-Wan's Force presence.

The plague, slowly eating his padawan alive.

Qui-Gon reached out and gently grasped Obi-Wan's limp left hand. "Padawan, I want you to waken. There is much we need to discuss."

For a moment, nothing happened. Then Obi-Wan's eyelids slowly lifted and hazy blue eyes sought his face. His padawan smiled.

"Master?" The word was a whisper upon the wind, more felt than heard. If Qui-Gon were not a Jedi, he more than likely would not have known what Obi-Wan said.

"Do not talk, Obi-Wan. Listen. This plague is engineered?" And he filled Obi-Wan in on what he had learned last night with Councilman Lensap.

Obi-Wan's eyes grew clearer as he listened with plain disbelief. When Qui-Gon was finished, he struggled to sit up. "But?that's the worse thing anyone could do!" Qui-Gon was pleased to note that in his flush of emotion, Obi-Wan's voice had grown stronger and more color had appeared to his pale cheeks.

He hid his pleasure at his padawan's slightly improved condition and nodded. "That is what I feel as well. I convinced Councilwoman Gunarie to send teams of scientists to Yanark to help find the cure for this disease. Perhaps if they work together, both planets can stop the war and save the children."

Obi-Wan settled back onto his pillow and removed his oxygen m

15. JediGaeliaWindstar

JediGaeliaWindstar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Wow this is getting better every time you post. :)

16. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwww yay! Han'yaie's there! Maybe now everything will be okay :D

17. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    Wow I read 2 chapters in one day. But still I end up with a cliffanger! AHHHHHH! I demand more! (please?) [face_batting]

18. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Wow, two posts to read, awesome! [face_dancing]
    Now that Obi is in a healing trance, he'll definitely live until they can find the cure, right?! [face_praying] That dramatic music you started playing is making me nervous...
    Need more of this great story soooon!

19. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Great update, great update!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I felt sorry for the poor youth surrounded by his family who is in the last stage. :(

I hope they are able to find a cure soon so that the young people are saved..

but the Sith side of me says, I hope they take a long time so I can read more of this fantastic fic!

[face_love] I eagerly await another update.. :D

20. Lady_Snow_Kaguya

Lady_Snow_Kaguya Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    [face_hypnotized] Poor Obi-chan! That guy is....some sort of angst/torture magnet..

Like the idea of a engineered sickness. Reminds me of the first two Resident Evil games....*shudders* though the symptoms and quickness is a lot like Ebola....scary.

Great stuff!

21. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    He sobered quickly. It was the kind of remark Obi-Wan would have tossed out, but now his padawan was slowly wasting away of this strange plague that no one had been cured of. What would his life be like without his padawan, so like a brother and a son to him? So like himself? He had already lost his love in recent months, he did not think he was strong enough to also lose his quick-witted, quirky, smiling padawan.

Han'yaie sensed the direction his thoughts had taken and clapped him on the shoulders. "We'll figure this out, Qui-Gon. Now, show me where you sleep and let's see what we can find out."

Wonderful. Han'yaie! Yay!

22. Star_Drifter

Star_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    "Drink this, it will soothe you."

For once in his life, he obediently drank what a doctor gave him. It tasted like bantha sweat that had been sitting in the scorching Tatooine suns and he almost spit it out, but it brought him back to the present and out of his defeatist mindset.

:p Now that is the perfect description of some of the medicines out there, isn't it! [face_laugh]

"How did you get so wise?" Qui-Gon remarked with a teasing tone.

Han'yaie rolled his eyes. "By saving your skin every year since you came to the Temple as an initiate. There were times I simply wanted to disappear if I saw you coming?but then where would we be now?"

"In a safer galaxy," Han'yaie's padawan, Anya, finally piped up.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I love how you are writing this: you have us clinging to our chairs, wondering if Obi-Wan will survive one minute, [face_worried] then rolling on the floor, laughing, the next! [face_laugh]
    Just the way George would do it! =D=

That's a great deal with your husband, you write, he gets to listen! [face_dancing]

And we can't wait for more! Soon, please! [face_batting]

23. PadawanEstel

PadawanEstel Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    Wow, this is great! Glad you've returned!

24. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    JediGaelia- Thank you thank you!

Layren- heehee. Hope you are enjoying reading your OC, and I hope that I'm portraying him correctly. Though it helps that I've written him before, lol.

LilQui-Gon- And more you shall have!

Bastet- Hm, read on to see how helpful the trance will be... ::dum dum daaaaaaaaaaaaah!::

Joinme- "There's a little witch in every woman" (Practical Magic), or in our case, a little Sith in every Jedi, heehee.

Lady_Snow- Welcome! I must admit I kindof borrowed the idea from the movie, Outbreak. Kindof, but not really. That movie is just awesome.

Darksaber- Glad you like! I love to show the developing relationship between Obi and Qui. Most of my fics center around that, so I guess I have a "rut". lol

Star_Drifter- I love how you are writing this: you have us clinging to our chairs, wondering if Obi-Wan will survive one minute, then rolling on the floor, laughing, the next! Just the way George would do it!

Wow! Gee, ya'll I'm not sure I deserve all this high praise, though I am most grateful for it! I just write. I LOVE to write, and share my writing with others. It's what I live for. I also, when I was fourteen, sent in a trilogy to George Lucas and was turned down (but got to keep some pretty Lucasfilm LTD letterhead!). Maybe I should rewrite it and try again, lol.

PadawanEstel- Welcome back! And thank you! I wondered if you would find your way over here, heehee.

25. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Seven

Obi-Wan ignored the twitching and jerking of his physical body, ignored the weeping cries of those around him whenever another Yanarkan child succumbed to the plague, ignored even the murmuring of doctors whenever they came to check on his vital signs. His whole world and reality was focused with a single-minded determination upon the healing trance that he had learned to direct toward his body. While submerged within himself to a level that he had never known could exist, he discovered that to do the most good for himself, he would have to target a blast of Force healing power at each individual cell infected with the plague. If he could do this, he could destroy the plague and become whole again.

Unfortunately, the plague had multiplied itself at an alarming rate, jumping from one cell to another as a skimmer frog on Dagobah would hop from overgrown lily pad to lily pad. The plague had been left to its own devices for nearly three days, and had made the most of it. Already Obi-Wan could sense that nearly all of his cells were infected to some degree or another.

Grimly resolute, he targeted any cell that came into his area of influence, cleansing it of the plague. How long he did this, he did not know. Time was unmeasured here within him and he did not spare thought to seek any physical ways of determining it.

Cell after cell after cell, he continued his private war with the plague. When he finally became too exhausted to properly focus, he decided to see how much he had accomplished before surfacing again to his conscious self to slumber.

With dismay, he saw very little had truly been completed. As he had removed the plague's taints from cells and then moved on, the plague had swept behind him to reclaim and reinfect what he had just cleansed. He was just as ill as he had been before he sunk into the trance, and he knew now that in two days' time or less he was going to die.

~~~~

Healer's log: Master Han'yaie

Patient: Obi-Wan Kenobi, aged seventeen years

Summary of illness/condition: Approaching day three of sickness. Kenobi making a valiant effort as he begins to lose control of his physical functions. Discovered a sore forming on his upper left arm, angry red and soft/warm to touch. Kenobi has been in healing trance for a full day. Waiting on him to wake again to discuss results of newest blood samples and see if he has been successful in his trance efforts.

Personal note: This plague disturbs me, and not in it's single-minded devotion to killing the young. There is something familiar about this disease? I think I have seen it before?

~~~~
    Han'yaie had just finished keying in his report when he felt Obi-Wan stir beside him. Glancing down at the young man, he was shocked to see tears streaming from his eyes.

"Obi-Wan? Can you hear me?" he inquired as he sat beside him. He had sent Qui-Gon to sleep some hours before?with a little help from a sedative he slipped into the tall Jedi's drink?and was the only one awake at this early hour of morning to talk with the young Jedi.

Pale eyelids fluttered as Obi-Wan fought to make his muscles obey him to open his eyes. Han'yaie was silent, letting Obi-Wan figure out how best to counteract the plague's deteriation of his physical commands. Finally, after several minutes, Obi-Wan's blue eyes stared dully at Han'yaie.

"Master?Han'yaie?" came the confused, rasping voice of Obi-Wan. "Where??"

"You're still on Yanark, young one," Han'yaie soothed him, sending out a wave of comfort to calm him. "The Jedi Council dispatched me to come here, at your request, I?m told. You are becoming a fine Jedi."

A fresh wave of tears formed and dropped, unheeded, onto Obi-Wan's pillow. "No?" he gasped, fighting for enough air to speak. "?will die?can't?destroy?"

Han'yaie quickly surmised what the lad was telling him. "When you destroyed the plague in your body, what happened?"

"Replic?replicated," Obi-Wan answered, frustration heavy in the words. "Too much?to fight?too qui

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.