main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Jedi Outcast movie!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jeff 42, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Jedi Outcast: Evolution

This movie is 3:55 in length and showcases my l33t skillz with the disruptor and Bryar. If you don't have a Gamespy ID you have to create one to download from this site, but don't worry because it's free. Check it out! :)

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Awesome!

3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    //downloading.... and maybe i'll work up a news post ;) At the very leat it'll definetly go in the Jedi Outcast section.

¤Night

4. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Weird. Windows Media Player won't show the footage. All I get is the first screen of you with a Bryar. Nice song though. I see them this Friday OMG!

5. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Do you have the latest Divx codec? I would guess that's the problem.

6. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Ah, there we go. Nice video. You're damn good with that thing.

7. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    For all the skill he's demonstrated in the video, I underestimated him because he's never made such a shot on me really. In fact, I'm a little embarressed to say that when I saw Jeff get out the disruptor I gave a sigh of relief :p

Now I have to wonder if I'm purposly blocking those memories out, or if I've just been lucky :p

¤Night

8. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Not bad, Jeff! Not bad at all.

I think you'd fare ok in an instagib match in Quake 3. You probably wouldn't dominate those games (if you've never played it, you have no idea how amazingly quick and dead accurate they are) but it would increase your skills tenfold the more you play it.

:)

-Jomero, who can definitely hold his own in instagib with his Mighty Trackball of Doom(TM)

9. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Oooh ... ouch. Not bad, not bad at all.

10. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Thanks, everyone! :)

Night, I think I have gotten at least a few good snipes on you, but my sniping skills have really improved a lot just in the last few weeks, and I haven't been in many games with you during that time.

Jomero, there is an instagib mod for Jedi Outcast, which I have played quite a bit. The only weapon is the disruptor, it's one-hit kills, and speed of movement is increased. Also, usually the only Force power available is Jump. It's very fun, especially for CTF. I often do dominate those games but I have run into several people who are better than me.

11. Jomero

Jun 3, 1999
    That's cool. I miss Quake 2 instagib, as it had my favorite thing in the whole world: the offhand grappling hook. I miss firing it an angle at the ceiling, being pulled towards it at break-neck speeds, letting go of the grappling hook mid-air, be sent flying towards the other side of the level, spinning around, and nailing people from above whilst flying backwards. God I was a freakin' tarzan. (Again, this was all done using only the Mighty Trackball of Doom(TM) and no mouse) :D

I've noticed that JK3 would be really easy in an instagib situation. People move so slowly in the air. If there is any rule to instagib (hell, even that gun you were using), is the less airborn you are, the better. They move so slow with their force jump, it's like how can you miss? Heh.

The only thing I can suggest is that you not stand still when you're acquiring a lock on somebody (whether you're using the scope or not). You seem to stop and aim quite often, especially if someone is airborn. I doubt you do it all the time, but it makes people who are flying through the air get a lock onto you much quicker. :D

Also, another great thing that few people realize how effective it is, when getting into a firefight (especially instagib), there is something you can do that few people will expect: ducking. Ducking reduces your size and width by half. If you don't do this frequently, you'll notice shots whizz over your head and then nail them, along with a big "W T F!?!?!?!?111//1?!" (don't stay ducking, do it a split second when you know he's going to fire, whether it's by knowing when he spots you or when his gun is about to rearm).

-Jomero

12. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    "I've noticed that JK3 would be really easy in an instagib situation. People move so slowly in the air. If there is any rule to instagib (hell, even that gun you were using), is the less airborn you are, the better. They move so slow with their force jump, it's like how can you miss? Heh."

Yep. Midair kills look pretty, but actually when someone jumps up high into the air it often makes him easier to hit. :D

"The only thing I can suggest is that you not stand still when you're acquiring a lock on somebody (whether you're using the scope or not). You seem to stop and aim quite often, especially if someone is airborn. I doubt you do it all the time, but it makes people who are flying through the air get a lock onto you much quicker."

You can't move around when you're zoomed in with the sniper rifle, except when you jump; then you can zoom in and charge up a shot while you are falling back to the ground. I often do the jump and zoom in trick, but it's of course usually easier to hit a target when I'm not moving. So it really depends on the situation what I will do. I try to judge whether stopping to zoom in will put me at a large risk of being killed. If I don't think it will then I'll probably stop instead of jumping. :)

13. Jomero

Jun 3, 1999
    Hmmm.

Since it uses the quake 3 engine, I bet you can make a key that zooms in. All you have to do is bind a key with a script that tells it to change the fov (field of vision) from 90 to say 30, and change the mouse sensitivity (zooms always take it down or else it's impossible to aim) and then restore the defualts when you release it. I made them all the time with the older games, and I am positive it's possible in Quake 3. Dunno about JK3, but I assume so.

The only problem you could have there is if you have to be "scoped in" to charge up the gun or not. If you do, then the user-zoom wouldn't be able to do that. But you would at least be able to move around when you were zoomed in.

-Jomero

14. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    That would explain it, I haven't been able to play very much (or very well) in the past several weeks because my computers is hot to hell with registry errors. Takes me a half-hour to boot up! I'm accelerating building my college computer. Ordering the MoBo, RAM, and CPU this week hopefully.

¤Night

15. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    "The only problem you could have there is if you have to be "scoped in" to charge up the gun or not."

You do.

16. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    How do you record a movie in JO? Is it some type of console command or something?

Edit: I just saw the movie and realize now that you probably used some other program to record the stuff with. But since there is a feature in the game for viewing recorded games, is there a command to start recording a game?

17. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
  18. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    How do you record a movie in JO? Is it some type of console command or something?

Well, it's a lot like recording in CS. I have never done it myself in CS, but read something similar to what was said at lucasforums.com, a long time ago. I think you use something called the geekplayer to do the conversions and everything.

19. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    Oh, I'll check out your movie sometime later, Jeff, when my computer isn't jacked up or DL it somewhere else. Then, maybe I can pick up a couple of pointers or your weaknesses and re-install JO and rule teh JC players. ;)

I desperately need a life. [face_plain]

20. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Thanks Jeff. :)

21. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    So I rendered out a 8-min demo at 30 FPS. It got to shot9999.jpg and stopped.

I know I could decrease the framerate, but I have 45 minute demos. Even a fps of 4 will go over with those.

How fix?

¤Night

22. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    You have to use the timescale console command, along with the wait command. Timescale is cheat-protected so first you have to enter "devmapall <mapname>" in the console. (It doesn't matter what map you do). Then to play a demo at different speeds you can do, for example:

timescale 200;demo <demoname>;wait 50;timescale 1

This would play the demo at 200x speed until 50 "waits" have passed, and then switch to normal speed. A "wait" doesn't correspond to a specific amount of time so you have to use some trial and error. What I did was watch the demos and mark down each time where there was something I wanted to use. (Enter "cg_drawtimer 1" in the console to show the game clock.) Then for each time I would play around with wait values until I got it to fast-forward to about the right place. Say I found that I needed 50 waits. Then I would do:

timescale 200;demo <demoname>;wait 50;timescale 1;cl_avidemo 20

(I used 20 fps for my video.)

I would then watch as the demo plays and once it got past the part I wanted to record I would hit a key to stop demo playback.

Or if for some reason you wanted to convert entire demos into movies, you would get the first 10,000 screenshots and move them into a new directory, then use the fast-forward script to get to a point near your last screenshot, get another 10,000 screenshots, and keep doing that. But I don't know why you would want to convert entire demos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.