main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit My Journey through the (Former) EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorfy, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorfy

Gorfy Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    So here we are.

It’s been over a year (1 Year 4 months) since I started my blog, since I started my decisive journey into the EU, or should that be the artist formerly known as the EU.

I personally feel OK about the Legends situation. Now I’ve obviously come into the EU at a far later point than many and so I have less invested but I honestly have no less desire to read the books now that they are non-canon or at least non-canon until proved otherwise. For me it’s exciting that there’s now a structure in place to make all future content canon without the naging feeling that something ‘more official’ is going to come along and contradict that thing I liked (Well, from now on anyway).

But no I don’t feel that we’ve lost what came before. It’s still there and really it is no more non-canon than it already was, the difference is that now we know for sure.

So what have I been doing the past 16 months?

Well I’ve got through an additional:
    20 e-books (Currently on my 21st)
    5 Paperbacks
    13 Audiobooks

Bringing me to a total of
    25 e-books
    9 Paperbacks
    26 Audiobooks
    3 Radio Dramas
    4 Graphic Novels (I’m mostly concentrating on the straight up novels, the idea of getting all the comics is pretty daunting)

I still feel that i have a long way to go, 60 books is a good start but the journey continues, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

For a list of what i’ve got through so far see the below link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asw_venEEPp4dHQzSV9qeVNHNXY5MUhLWXdQX3JZb3c&usp=sharing

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Are children's books included in the plan? There's quite a few serieses of those - Jedi Prince series, Rebel Force, Galaxy of Fear, Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Last of the Jedi, Boba Fett, etc.

3. Gorfy

Oct 13, 2013
    Perhaps, i'd like to concentrate on the adult books first but I don't doubt there's some fantastic children's books :)

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Last time I did a complete read-through of all the adult novels published at the time (half an inch of book thickness an hour, virtually all "free time" (3 or 4 hours a day) spent reading (about a year ago)) it still took me 3 months to get through the lot.

Big project.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Nice work. I've been reading the EU for quite a few years now and I've still got quite a few books left to read.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's going to get worse - to easily get through the DHC stuff, you might have as little as 3 weeks!

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Are they actually going to take them off shelves, or will they keep selling existing stock?

8. Gorfy

Oct 13, 2013
    I think I'll stick to novels :) Then just hope for omnibuses, I know DH didn't finish theirs but maybe they'll end up in a collection somewhere

9. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Niiice Gorfy! Omnibuses (pl. omnibi?) are well worth the read, but they do take some time.
    I'm still on a book re-read (currently NJO). Kind of broke the re-read thread by jumping into TOTJ/KOTOR re-read when I got super hyped about the Dawn of the Jedi :p

10. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I've started a (first time) read of the Prequel Era Legends books. I enjoy doing it now with the knowledge of the Story Group canon break, and it's fun to a) view the stories in their own light as part of the Legendsverse, and
    b) see elements appearing for the first time that:
    1. Became a substantial part of the New Canon as-is (The caves of Ilum and the Youngling crystal experience from Jedi Quest),
    2. Elements and characters who stories were generally brought over, and then tweaked mostly consistent with what had been said before (Ventress)
    2. Were given note, but then completely re-purposed and mined (IE, Vizla and Death Watch from Jango Fett: Open Seasons),
    3. Events chronicled that have since been referenced in Canonical works (the general stories of Cloak of Deception, Dark Lord, etc)
    4. Completely overwritten story wise, or made tonally inconsistent ( Rogue Planet )

And of course, then there's the seeds or 'foreshadowing' of events to happen in the NJO, etc, which are mostly irrelevant to the Story Group Canon. HOWEVER, such have made me consider going forward and finally reading NJO, etc after all this.

Anyway, I really like reading these Legends books not HAVING to have everything be consistent, but reading them as a cool source of Star Wars material, and then seeing how this material has been used, and becoming familiar with stuff that may be mined for the future. It's like reading the original Marvel comics, and seeing origins of ideas, characters, events, relationships, etc that pop up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't be silly, booksellers have paid for the stock, they'll look to sell it.

But what books will be available where and at what price and for how long are the big unknowable questions.

The only known point is once it's gone, it's gone, save for astronomical prices being applied on the second hand market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.