main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends My Light {Pre-Jedi Academy Trilogy Kyp fic}

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Rogue_Even, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Even

Rogue_Even Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    My Light
    By Rogue_Even
    ~*:*~
    Note: I had this fic posted before, but it hardly got any replies. I would've ditched it, but my friends liked it, so I tried to revive the thing...only to find that the old thread was locked. o_O So, it's getting a new start. Hope it really doesn't suck. 8-}

Just another day at the mines.

Seventeen year old Kyp Durron settled into the mining car, resigned to yet another day of mining spice. Just like every other day. Just like every other day for the rest of his life, probably. He was beginning to think he would be in here until the day he died.

Talk about a depressing thought.

Running a hand through his ragged dark hair, he closed his eyes and contemplated using the time in the mining car to snatch a little bit of sleep. His induced sleep had been disturbed lately by reoccurring nightmares of his capture from his own home years before.

But just as he was about to drift off, he heard a soft, female voice say, "Where am I supposed to go? I can?t find a seat."

Kyp?s heart instantly went out to the speaker. He always pitied the new workers, forced into a life of slavery like himself, but this was different. He could tell from her voice that she was young, and her voice rang with an innocence that was incredibly hard to find in the mines.

"Over here," Kyp called, fighting back feelings of revulsion. The people running these mines were sick. What gave them the right to continue taking prisoners and turn them essentially into slaves, especially people so young?

He guided the new worker with his voice until he finally heard someone slip into the seat behind him with a grateful sigh. "Thank you."

"I?m Kyp Durron," he offered.

"I?m Sirree." She fumbled in the darkness for a moment until she found his hand; when she did, she gave it a friendly shake.

Kyp was surprised at this action - such manners were almost unheard of here. "Sirree, forgive me for asking this, but how did a girl like you end up in this place?"

He felt her stiffen beside him, and the almost palpable sadness radiating off of her in waves, making him instantly regret his words. "I?m sorry," he murmured. "I had no right to ask that. I?m sorry."

Sirree took a deep breath. "No, it?s okay. I need to talk to someone. Just please be patient with me - it?s still really painful.

"My parents were merchants. They came to Kessel on a supply run, and I went with them, like I always did. Everything was going fine, until all of a sudden, these people came and pulled blasters on us. We had absolutely no warning, and my parents resisted, trying to protect me. They were shot and killed. I was dragged down here, kicking and screaming the whole way. That?s about the whole story."

Kyp winced in sympathy. "I?m sorry," he said softly. "They killed my family too." He hesitated. "How old are you, Sirree?"

"Almost fifteen," she replied in a voice that sounded as though she was fighting tears. "You?"

Kyp winced again. No one that young should have to go through what she had been subjected to - he knew that from experience. "I?m seventeen."

"You sound older," Sirree said in surprise, startled to think that the complete stranger she had just poured her heart out to was only slightly older than herself.

"It comes from being down here so long."

"Stop talking!" the supervisor barked suddenly, and Kyp felt Sirree jump beside him.

"Oh, screw you," she muttered to the supervisor, almost inaudibly, and Kyp had to turn his laugh into a cough.

"Keep that spirit," he whispered to her. "You?ll need it."

"Is it really as bad down here as everyone says it is?" Sirree asked him in a voice no louder than his. It was obvious she feared the prospect - and with good reason.

"Worse," Kyp replied grimly. He wished he could tell her something more comforting, but there was no point in keeping the truth from her, not when she would find it out so soon on her own. "But you?ll be okay. Stay with me, and I?ll show you what to do."

"Do the guards beat us?"

2. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    I like, I like, I like!

Must have more soon, yes? :D

3. mOck_herOic

mOck_herOic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2003
    Yaaaaaay you posted it!!!

::tackle::

4. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I could have sworn that I've read this before! My apologies if I didn't reply then, but this looks like a great start! :)

Jae Angel

5. Rogue_Even

Jul 22, 2002
    Soulwalker, I'm glad my stalkee likes this. :D Thanks for replying!! And you already got the whole fic in advance...haha. 8-}

mOck_herOic, thanks for replying, sis. You know, if it hadn't been for you, I prolly wouldn't have kept writing this. So thank you! *huggle* :)

NarundiJedi, actually, you were the ONLY person to reply to the old thread, haha. So I owe you a big thanks as well. :D

6. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    OOOH! This is FUN! And totally unlike anything else I've ever seen before! I LIKE it!

Is it too soon to ask for more?

7. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    This is a very awesome start already. I like. Mostly I like a story by the second or third post, but I like this one already. And it has one of my favorite characters :D

Post more soon!

A young Kyp...very interesting ;)

8. Rogue_Even

Jul 22, 2002
    Thanks for the replies, Jedi_Jaina_Durron and Elfsheen! I hope you all like the next post. :)

Kyp taught Sirree how to mine, and made certain that they always stayed together, not wanting her to be alone in the endless black. Sirree seemed to feel the same way, for she kept one finger hooked in his belt loop and was never more than a step away from his side.

They spent the hours exchanging stories, and Kyp began to develop a deep admiration of Sirree. She had just witnessed the death of both her parents and found herself in what was possibly the most hellish place in the entire galaxy, forced to work as a slave, and yet she still managed to find a reason to laugh.

As she put it, she?d always been cheerful, and she?d be "damned if they took that away too."

Kyp marveled at her determination. He?d never met anyone like her before. Generally, by the time they reached the mines, the new prisoners were already downtrodden and completely devoid of hope. He couldn?t even remember the last time he had heard one of the other miners laugh, yet Sirree laughed often, a light, musical sound that he couldn?t help but smile when he heard. Sirree teased him as well, frequently and gently, and he found himself teasing her back. How long had it been since he?d bantered with anyone?

Kyp could only hope that the mines wouldn?t strip the determination from her.

Finally, the guards announced the shift was over, and Kyp heard Sirree?s sigh of relief. He took her hand and led her back to the mining car, giving her small hand a reassuring squeeze. "It?s over," he told her softly. "For now, anyway."

Sirree?s head fell instantly to his shoulder in fatigue. "I?ve never been this exhausted," she murmured, her words punctuated with a yawn.

Kyp gently disengaged himself from her as they sat down in the mining car, repositioning himself to sit sideways on the wide bench. He drew his legs up to keep from accidentally kicking her in the dark, and said softly, "Sirree, come here."

Sirree did so instantly, moving to sit between his legs and leaning against his chest. She nestled against him, uttering a barely audible "Thank you" before her breathing became even and Kyp realized she was asleep.

He hugged Sirree close as the mining car hit a bump and jarred violently. She didn?t even stir.

She must really be exhausted, Kyp thought to himself. As he held her, he realized just how small and fragile she was, and he instantly began to worry. He had no doubts that she was strong in spirit, but he had seen other prisoners simply drop dead from strain and despair, and Sirree?s slight build certainly wasn?t going to work in her favor.

To his surprise, Kyp realized that he couldn?t bear the thought of anything happening to Sirree. As everyone else had, Kyp had learned long ago not to become too attached to any of the other miners. There was so much death that this was a necessity, if one wanted to remain stable. But somehow, Kyp already felt incredibly close to Sirree, almost as if he had known her all his life. He couldn?t explain the attraction, but it was undeniably there.

"Don?t you dare die on me," Kyp willed her in a fierce whisper. "I am not letting you go. I know it?ll be hard, but you have to fight. You?re strong - you can do this."

Unknown to Kyp, Sirree was actually still awake, simply too tired to move or speak. She was suddenly grateful for the darkness, which did an admirable job of hiding her blush.

I?ll try, Kyp, Sirree thought. I?ll try, but you have to help me.

9. JainaJediQueen

JainaJediQueen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2002
    Awww that is so sweet!!!!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] I can't wait for more!

~*~The Queen~*~

10. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    Awwww, that was sooo sweet! I love this! Post more soon! :D

11. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Argh, the heart-wrenching-ness is going to be the end of meee...!

Hehehe, do I even need to tell you that I love it thus far, Rogue? :p I like the way that you're portraying young Kyp, and I definitely like his character better than Jedi Kyp, because he's just a loose cannon then. ;)

I thought that his immediate protectiveness of Sirree was very cute, hehe. Hope nothing bad happens to her...:(

12. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    I LOVE this!

Wait, did I already say that?

Oh, well, I'll say it again!

I LOVE this!

They are adorably sweet together...and you're going to make this so it's AU and they end up together after Han get's him out of there, aren't you?

13. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Awwwwwwwww, those two are just so cute together! :) It's nice to see a Kyp Durron who isn't touched by darkness for a change. More soon? :D

Jae Angel

14. Rogue_Even

Jul 22, 2002
    JainaJediQueen and Elfsheen: I'm glad you like this! Thanks so much for replying. :D And I should be posting often, as I have all of part 1 written (I have two parts planned for this, the second taking place during NJO.)

Soulwalker: *tackles* Happy to see that you like this, Zekky. ;) And I did send you the whole fic in advance, so if you wanna know what happens, you can find out. 8-}

Jedi_Jaina_Durron: I'm glad you like them together. :D And as for what happens...well, you'll just have to wait and see. Can't reveal things too early yet, now can I? People might not keep reading then.;)

NarundiJedi: Yay, you like them together too. :D Thanks bunches for commenting. And yes, here's more. :)

When they reached their destination and the lift car came to a stop, Kyp shook Sirree gently. "We?re here."

She stirred, sat up, and yawned. "Oh, joy," she said sarcastically. "Are we going to be subjected to more of their endless entertainment, Kyp?"

Kyp grinned as they stood up and moved into the line of prisoners. "Nothing bad. Nothing entertaining, mind you, but nothing bad."

"Where are we going?" Sirree asked softly as she walked behind him, clinging to his waist.

"We?re going back to our barracks. Nothing bad, don?t worry." He patted her hand, which rested on his waist.

"Oh." She cringed a second later when she heard the guards drawing weapons. "Kyp?" she whispered shakily.

He squeezed her hand. "It?s all right. They just want to make sure we haven?t stolen any spice. We?re supposed to get out of our thermal suits now."

"Okay." Kyp could tell she still wasn?t convinced, so he impulsively gave her a brief hug. "Trust me. Everything?s fine."

"That doesn?t mean I like it," she muttered, and Kyp laughed softly.

"I didn?t like it either. Scared the Sith out of me at first. But you get used to it."

No more words were exchanged as the two busied themselves with getting out of their thermal suits.

When they had done that, Kyp took Sirree?s hand. "You?ll want to close your eyes," he warned. "They?ll turn the lights on, and the light can really hurt after all that time in the dark. Take my word for it." Kyp realized then that he was finally going to see what she looked like. His curiosity began to get the better of him, and for once he didn?t mind the almost-torturous light.

Sirree sighed and closed her eyes, and no more than a second after she did so, the lights came back on. She gasped involuntarily, doubling over as though she had been punched, even with her eyes closed. "This is not fun," Kyp heard her mutter. "A perfect end to a perfect day."

Kyp chuckled despite himself and laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "It?s okay," he told her, still too blinded himself to see what she looked like. "It takes a while to get used to. Just relax. There?s no hurry. Your eyes will adjust."

Finally, after some minutes, Sirree looked up at him, and for the first time, he really saw her.

Kyp?s heart tightened and leapt at the same time in his chest, all breath stolen from him.

She was beautiful.

Sirree?s hair was long, tumbling past her shoulders in a cascade of brown curls streaked slightly with strands of gold. Her face was dainty and oval, with high cheekbones and soft, full lips that were curled in a smile. Her eyes were a startling shade of aqua, and they sparkled happily as she smiled up at him. Her skin was tanned, which Kyp knew would fade quickly in the mines.

He hadn?t seen many women in his life, trapped in the mines, but he couldn?t imagine there being anyone else in the galaxy more beautiful than Sirree. To Kyp, she was absolutely breathtaking.

Kyp was suddenly very self-conscious as he realized what his own appearance must be. The mines did not bode well on one?s vanity.

But his self-consciousness vanished a moment later when Sirree jumped up to fling her arms around his neck, hugging him fiercely.

Just as abruptly, she pulle

15. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    I just got done reading the document you sent me...and you better write the next part, and soon! :p

Hehehe, just kidding. ;) I likes very much, and the relationship between Kyp and Sirree is just painfully cute...:)

16. JainaJediQueen

JainaJediQueen Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2002
    Sooooo Sweet!

~*~The Queen~*~

17. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    I agree with The Queen (whose sig I love!)! That is SOOOOOO sweet! What girl wouldn't want Kyp Durron defending her?

Is it too soon to ask for more?

18. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I am totally digging where this is going! Your presentation of the characters is great too! Keep it up! :)

Jae Angel

19. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    Owh very good. While sad it was very mushy too! Well done. Can't wait till the next post.

20. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    Please, please, please post! I wanna know what happens next!

21. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    [face_shocked] Oh No No post [face_shocked]

:_|

22. Elven_Jedi_Maiden

Elven_Jedi_Maiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2003
    Awww, this is sweet! [face_love]

I always loved pre-hitting-on-Jaina-Kyp, and you've got him down perfectly! Reminds me why I always loved him in pre-NJO days. [face_love]
    Great job! Can't wait to see what happens...
    *waits patiently for next post*

23. Soulwalker

Mar 18, 2003
    Whatever wait you guys have to endure is worth is, trust me! ;)

*Waits for her to write Part 2*

24. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Very cool story so far. Can't wait to read more.

~~Jilly

25. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    No post again :( Please post soon! You make me wait too long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.