main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY My Lightsabers

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by RebelStormer, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelStormer

RebelStormer Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2005
    Hey guys, just thought I'd show u my home made sabers

[image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/rigster/sabers/lightsaber5.gif]
    [image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/rigster/sabers/lightsaber6.gif]
    [image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/rigster/sabers/lightsaber7.gif]
    [image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/rigster/sabers/lightsaber8.gif]

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    nice. what are you going to use for the blade?

3. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    I use a broomhandle wrapped in blue/green/red tape for rotoscoping in post production. I've found that broomhandles are stronger than alu poles and they are also cheaper.

4. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
    Uhh, what's rotoscoping? (tries unsuccesfully to hide ignorance)

5. --Azrael--

--Azrael-- Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2005
    Rotoscoping - A sophisticated technique which involves first filming live action then tracing the models.

placing glowing lightsabre effect over the wood/alum/blade material

6. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    true. but u forgot to mention that it takes a very long time!!

7. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    for a fast job i like to use

http://lsmaker.uw.hu/page.php?main=lsmaker.html#lsmaker

8. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    cheers sithlord, I'll have to check that program out. I've been using Premier to edit then convert to filmstrip the use photoshop to rotoscope so it looks like LSmaker might be faster. I certanly hope so as we have some fairly long fight scenes in this 45 miniute fan film.

I have just finnished my third saber (the Mundi) so here are some picts.

Top: Kenobi X
    Middle: The Anakin
    Bottom: Mundi
    [image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/rigster/sabers/sabers1.gif]
    [image=http://home.iprimus.com.au/rigster/sabers/sabers2.gif]

9. --Azrael--

Mar 8, 2005
    I like the new pics. the old pics made the sabres look a bit.....ummmm.....squat. What material did you use aluminium? I know you mentioned the wood for the balde but what about the hilt?

10. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    The hilts are lathed from solid Aluminium rods. They have quite some weight to them. The heaviest one is the Mundi which is around the same as a standard brick. Also, they will never rust or break.

11. --Azrael--

Mar 8, 2005
    with the weight won't that make swinging the sabres harder for the fast sabrefight?

12. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    it acually makes the swinging of the sabers easier and more accurate. also, the fact that the hilt is heavy, it feels like a real lightsaber. Have you ever picked up a traditional Katana or broadsword?

13. --Azrael--

Mar 8, 2005
    a broadsword is not light. I'm just thinking for a fanfilm and for a fast swing a lighter object won't wear out the actors arms to the same extent a heavy hilt will. Just my 2 cents though.

14. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    When making a film, it is important to have ur actors feel as if they r in the world that has been created. so, in that, our actors must have costumes and accessories(including lightsabers)that r real so they feel a part of this world. If we had say, plastic lightsabers and night-gowns, not only would we look like amatures, the acting wouldn't look authentic.

In Lord of the Rings, the actor who played aragorn was given a real sword made of steal.

This is how we make movies and how we'll always make movies but in the end, this is just our opinion.

15. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    When making a film, it is important to have ur actors feel as if they r in the world that has been created. so, in that, our actors must have costumes and accessories(including lightsabers)that r real so they feel a part of this world. If we had say, plastic lightsabers and night-gowns, not only would we look like amatures, the acting wouldn't look authentic.

In Lord of the Rings, the actor who played aragorn was given a real sword made of steal.

This is how we make movies and how we'll always make movies but in the end, this is just our opinion.

16. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    sorry about the double post.

17. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Did someone mention my name? ;)

Great sabers stormer, I plan to make my own one day. I'll go to the plumbing aisle in bunnings

18. RebelStormer

Nov 3, 2005
    I wouldnt recommend a Bunnings Saber if you plan on swinging it around a bit. Mine broke one of my light fixtures when it decided to fly apart on me. That's one of the reasons I went with Lathed Aluminium.

19. madman_jp

madman_jp Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2006
    hey guys your sabers are great i have made mine myself and am working on a darth vader saber sorry i cant send pics but my camera is broken at the moment and just a warning to all fan film makers use wood for a blade aluminim bends and is more expensive

20. Rebel__Stormer

Rebel__Stormer Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for the praise Madman. And your right, wood is the best for Fan Film sabers.

I making some generic sabers for the Jedi Extras in my Fan Film. I'll post picts when I'm done.

RS
    www.tazjediforce.tk

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    If or when I make a bunnings lightsaber it'll probably be more of a hero prop than a fighting one.

Still haven't worked out though I'll make it as it has twin blades.

22. Rebel__Stormer

Rebel__Stormer Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    kewl, make sure u post some picts when it's done.

23. crystalskye

crystalskye Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2005
    hey why make your own when you can buy them in target for about $13? [face_dancing] sorry couldn't help myself my target lightsabre (purple of course) was sold when I moved a little while ago :_|

it was a really good decoration cos it hung from my bedroom curtain, and if it had ever decided to become a fully fuctional lightsabre in the middle of the night it would have cut off my head cos it was pointing downwards.

*sigh*

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I know, the thing is I was talking about my DREAM lightsaber that can't really be bought unless I ask the guy at Park Saber to make it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.