main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC My Mantra, Buddhism = Love and Peace!!!....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Leoluca Randisi, Nov 16, 2014.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Little Buddha says: Whoah.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_laugh]

As the type is us, so are we the type.

4. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    why is this a thread

5. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    Does anyone else agree that peace does not necessary have to come from religion, but from an exercised form of self mental control? I've heard it said that no one can take your peace away from you unless you let them.

6. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Of course. Similarly, some people need religion to behave, whereas others, like me, are naturally virtuous.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes. Oh, God, yes, please.

I'm a Christian, but I listen to The Alan Watts Podcast and I've read a good fifteen hundred pages of Buddhist literature (Journey to the West is . . . masterpiece; everyone should read it, thousand pages or no). I've incorporated a lot of Buddhist practices into my spiritual life. The concept of Zen, as I understand it, is a really powerful one and the idea of every single person you encounter being your Zen teacher is an idea that I just love so, so, so much. Focusing on being in the present moment and on letting your life essentially live itself rather than you living it . . . those are a couple of others that I think about a lot and try to keep in my mind in times of difficulty.

I think Buddhism really unfolded for me when I had the realization that the Eightfold Path is, essentially, a, um, hoax isn't the right word. Trick, maybe? Well, that, essentially, it's not something you're intended to actually practice. Now, at that point is where Buddhism loses me as far as me really believing it, because I don't buy into the idea of reality that the Eightfold Path is actually pushing you towards. So, I'm in no sense an actual Buddhist. But the Eightfold Path has been a stumbling block for years as far as me believing Buddhism had any genuinely noble goals. So, that moment of epiphany about it, even though my progress in the beliefs of Buddhism ends at that point, was a moment when I felt like I really got that it is a religion with a positive effect, not a negative one. And that was huge for me.