main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My new Fanfic.....In An Instant (A JA fic, kinda)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi Erica Amidala, Aug 27, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    Dueling 101: How to fight a duel with lightsabers. (Phys Ed: 3 credits)

A course that is so good, you'd give your right arm for it.

[This message has been edited by Hunter Of Winds (edited 03-13-2000).]

2. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    The Jedi Selection, Education and Training Board is pleased to announce the availability during specified days, of the following guest speakers in the duration of the course:

CHRM 510: How to get your own Master
    Guests include:
    H and L O Solo
    C and M T Horn

Additional courses available:

CNVRT 210b: Light Jedis and Sith betrayers - convert or kill (or both)? by D Sidious.
    This course should not confused with CNVRT 210 as results may be disastrous. Course syllabus similar to 210, but with concentration on the more seductive side of the Force.

PHIL 500: How to get rid of your former master by A Skywalker/ D Vader.
    This advanced class is only for dedicated student of the arts bent on destroying his/her/it's master, former or current. Mainly a theory course (the practical lab work and hands-on-training being discontinued - see current master for details), this subject explores the art of turning your mentor into bantha poodu as an act of revenge, anger, or in delusions of saving the galaxy/yourself.

3. Jedi Erica Amidala

Jedi Erica Amidala Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 1999
    // is thought
    Just a short little bit
    ------------------------
    Back on Tatooine?

?Now what is your name little one?? Shmi Skywalker asked her new son
    //I can?t kill him, even though he will have to go through anguish he will always know that he is loved, always//

The baby cooed softly, there was something about him, something different, it was on the edge of Shmi?s mind but she couldn?t figure it out, something told her that maybe she didn?t want to know.

4. overlooked handmaiden

overlooked handmaiden Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2000
    The purposes of Handmaiden:
    How to keep the galaxy populated with Jedi, with out admitting to offical relationships.

Jedi Interns:
    Are you a low status Jedi? Are you always running around? No time to meet strong queens and their handmaidens? Then apply for an intern.

Denial for Jedi:
    When you get caught. How to BS your way out. Special guest speaker B Clinton.

[This message has been edited by overlooked handmaiden (edited 03-15-2000).]

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Cool story so far, Erica! Keep it up!

6. MaraJessie

MaraJessie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 1999
    write more, erica!!!

7. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Hey, this is looking pretty good, Erica!! I'm looking forward to more!!

8. Jedi Erica Amidala

Jedi Erica Amidala Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 1999
    Thax guys, I will ad more soon!

9. MaraJessie

MaraJessie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 1999
  10. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Well no, not really, but it seems that every man and his dog with a camcorder and Photoshop are doing them these days. Some of them are brilliant, and backyard ones always make me laugh. But, there's so much more to the Star Wars universe than Jedi and Sith fighting one another.

By far my favourite fan movie is still Troops (despite it being quicktime, hehehe..j/k), and there's not a lightsaber in sight. Just some normal guys doing their job in the same vein as a well known tv show. Not only that, just having the jawas in there make it seem more authentic than any of the other films. They've even got a droid. I know that the 2nd Troops will feature dewbacks and stormtroopers done with motion capture.

11. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Avene:
    Well no, not really, but it seems that every man and his dog with a camcorder and Photoshop are doing them these days. Some of them are brilliant, and backyard ones always make me laugh. But, there's so much more to the Star Wars universe than Jedi and Sith fighting one another.

You don't realize it, but you just pretty much paraphrased the general idea that spawned the "Second Strike" fan film that'll be produced starting this winter.

--Nathan Butler
    C-Writer, Prelude to Hope
    Writer, Second Strike
    Co-Writer, The Jedi Wars

12. ash khotan

ash khotan Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2000
    For people whose only resources are a camcorder and Photoshop, I think creating a lightsaber duel is a fun way to enter the fan film arena. Unless you're Kevin Rubio and have a little financial backing, or unless you're making a much-vaunted "gritty war drama," your options are limited. It's extremely difficult to make a fan film that's believable in the Star Wars universe (e.g. good costumes, good sets, good props, a storyline that doesn't rely on special effects, etc.) with a budget of $50 - $100. Sure, people should always strive to be creative, to do something that hasn't been done before, but if anybody just wants to make a backyard lightsaber duel to show their friends, I say more power to them.
    --nate

[This message has been edited by ash khotan (edited 04-16-2000).]

13. Ejan Jerthrid

Ejan Jerthrid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 1999
    Indeed.

Saber effects are far easier (in my opinion) to do than CG effects, and the software for them is often more accessible, as well. I myself would like very much to get away from the "fight film" cliche, but that's about as far as I can go with my resources (until I can team up with other people who are doing bigger things).

But until then, a good saber duel is always fun, if not particularly dense.

14. theFiddler

theFiddler Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2000
    I just began writting a SW story with making it into a fanfilm in mind. The basic reason I felt I could add something to the selection of fan films/stories out there is that I wanted to follow the original trillogy style with both Jedi and non-Jedi. In other words some laser battles and starcraft battles that are as exciting and intense as the lightsaber duels.

I'm not sure my story will ever be made into a film, but I hope to see more of this kind of thing in future fanfilms.

--the Fiddler

15. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    The truth is, we all want a lightsaber!

SZ

16. ash khotan

Mar 10, 2000
    I'd like two, please!!

17. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Don't get me wrong guys, I wasn't criticising any of the lightsaber movies, but just saying that there's a lot more that could be done, even with a tight budget.

Here are some ideas.. Now, of course not everyone can do cgi 3d models an animation. But do you really need to? Why not go into a toy store and buy a few Star Wars models, like X Wings, droid fighters or whatever. Set up a green screen (green works better with video than blue), put the models on a string, film them, and then composite them in a free program such as Axogen composer. Providing you already have a video camera and capture card, which most filmmakers here would have, there's not really any cost involved. The models are cheap, a big peice of card board painted green etc.

Just look at how dodgy things were when they did the original ANH. They never had computer compositing back then, and the strings attached to the models could be painted out more eaily than it would be to paint lightsabers. Plus, being actual models, as long as they're painted well, like airbrushed, or done with spray paint, they have the potential to look more realistic than 3d models.

How about more bounty hunter movies? Bounty hunters can work just as well as Jedi, in that they don't have to look a particular way. They can just be anyone with some fancy makeup really. Laser fire could be done in the same way as lightsabers.

I was even thinking of getting a big board, setting it up in the backyard and building a miniture set on it, like they used for some of the pod race scenery. Just get some plaster, or even clay, at some rocks, paint it all, then fly the camera over it really slowly. This footage could then be sped up in a video program, like Axogen perhaps.

So, the bottom line is, just be creative. There's so much you can do with practically no budget, and working with limitations always brings out your best.

18. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I think the reason why we are seeing so many film with extensive Lightsaber action is because the Lightsaber sequences were probably the most majestic in the original series, and every kid mimicked the fight scenes (I still do, and I'm 20!).

With the release of The Phnatom Menace we are treated to the fights once again, except this time we are just gobsmacked to see what is on the screen. The year is 2000, and every man and his dog has access to camera, and we all think we are a budding lil' Scorcesse, Spielberg or Lucas, so it's just common sense that people are going to be filming their own fight sequences.

And besides, they are also a test bed for any special effects that you may or may not do in a fan film. If you can do them (and do them good) you can pull off just about any special effects you want!

19. jeff_a_haines

jeff_a_haines Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 1999
    I agree that there are too many lightsaber films. I would really like to see a Rogue Squadron film. By the way, I have seen Lightsaber spelled as Lightsabre. Which way is correct?

20. ash khotan

Mar 10, 2000
    You say lightsaber, I say lightsabre. You say theater, I say theatre. Let's call the whole thing off!

Avene, here's the thing. Most of us (well, actually I'm just talking about myself, and projecting) only have the time and energy to make one fan film. I'm in post-production now, and I can tell you with little doubt that I'm never making a SW film again. The props, the sets, the special effects etc. & etc. make it a very daunting task. And I knew this going in. I suspect this is probably true of more than a couple budding fan filmakers out there. Knowing that we're only going to do this once, I think it's natural to do the movie about something close to your heart. Sure, a bounty hunter movie would be cool, or a story about a space pilot or a down-on-his-luck, spice-addicted Coruscant street urchin. But in the final analysis, SW centers around the jedi, and they are clearly the most interesting characters of them all. It's out of interest or love of these characters that when people take their one-and-only shot at a fan film, they'd pick the jedi archetype.

21. Xecuter666

Xecuter666 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2000
    um, my fanfilm is just in late pre-production and we have both CG characters and stuff, along with the saber duel... but i don't pretend that this isn't just another "saber duel" movie. True that we have more than just the saber duel (CG characters, composite work) and a saber duel was the first tests that we did, but it STILL IS just a saberfilm... maybe i should be shot, but my "fanfilm" is more of an "effectsfilm." I am sorry, but i used the StarWars universe because it lends itself very well to a variety of effects, and does not require me to be completely original, maybe this makes me your worst enemy, but trust me, i will try to not be 100% inaccurate. This film is being used to demonstrate and represent my school and city schoolboard's computer graphics departments, so we just want a bit of everything. Ok, back to starwars relevance: we included force jumps, force speed, CG/Composite Explosions, CG/Live Characters, blasterbolts, lightsabers(duh!) and bad costumes

22. GuanoLad

GuanoLad Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 1998
    The easiest part about sabre duels is the minimum number of people to make a cool action packed scene. A gunfight doesn't have much of an impact one-on-one.

And it's true, most fanboys have an affinity with the heroic Jedi (or the evil Sith), and so naturally want to relive that in their film.

The little tale I want to do (but probably never will because I'm so crap at plot) has no Jedi duels at all, but does have Vader, the Emperor, Fett, and numerous other distinctive Star Wars elements. Which is a semi-deliberate attempt to do a story about athe expanded universe. It's a Spy / Bounty Hunter tale.

23. SkywalkerG

SkywalkerG Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Hey Fiddler. Im interested in producing a Star Wars Fan Film, but my scripts are rather... well dumb. Do you think there is any way you can send a outline or short draft of your script to me. If it sounds like i can pull it off, I can make your script into a FanFilm. If your interested.
    Looking foward to hearing from you.

24. SkywalkerG

SkywalkerG Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Hey Fiddler. Im interested in producing a Star Wars Fan Film, but my scripts are rather... well dumb. Do you think there is any way you can send a outline or short draft of your script to me. If it sounds like i can pull it off, I can make your script into a FanFilm. If your interested.
    Looking foward to hearing from you.

25. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Ah, poor baby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.