main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My new Fight gig!

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by AllenReturns, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllenReturns

AllenReturns Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2004
    I cant remember if I've mentioned this but... I recently just got hired by an independent film production company to do their sword choreography for their new movie. I also audtioned for an acting role as well and just got a call yesterday from the director that I got one of the minor roles. I was hoping for the lead (who dosent) but it was pretty obvious they needed a beautiful boy in the role. Anyway, I'm really excited for both the fight aspect and the acting bit as well. It is paying so Im actually justified in this one! :) Just thought I'd share- Oh and I get to do Shakespeare as well, which I love so thats good :)

2. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Is it filming here in Utah? And if so do you know if they're looking for crew?

3. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    It is here in Utah- Im not sure about crew- I can check. What do you do? That may help if they are looking for something specific. I have a meeting with the director tomorrow so i can check then.

4. Master_Beorn

Master_Beorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Hey!

If they need costumes....

5. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Congrats Allen that's wonderful!!
    Where are you doing Shakspeare?

6. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    The story of the film is about a play company that is doing a production of Othello. Things get bad when, during the fight scenes a prop sword gets mixed up with a real one. So I'm one the the 'actors' in the play- as well as playing a character offstage. As far as Othello goes, for those of you in the know, I'll be playing Roderigo- I get killed by Cassio.

7. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I remember seeing Othello a few years ago as an Opera. Very good.

Um...Just don't cut off a leg or something okay?

8. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    well - we're using rapiers so it would be pretty hard to cut a leg off. Impale? thats another matter ;)

9. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Like I know the difference. :p

10. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    sorry :) rapiers are like the swords in Princess Bride which are thrusting weapons and not really cutters. Cutting swords would be more like ones in Braveheart.

11. Master_Beorn

Master_Beorn Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    No, the ones in Braveheart are in all reality crushing (blunt) weapons. When a sword gets over 4 pounds, it's primary purpose is to crush and bludgeon, but in a "precise" fashion. Smashing a cuirass so the occupant is unable to breathe, etc. A good example of cutting swords would be something like a roman Gladius or a cavalry style saber.

Sorry, my inner blade historian coming out...

12. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    *bows down before the Blade Gods master_beorn and Allen*

I'm not worthy!
    I'm not worthy!

13. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    Speaking of swords and star wars....
    Over in the Fan Films section there is a new article by John Clements (in the real swordfighting circles he's one of the best- He entered the World Wide armed kung-fu championships and used European techinques against all the asian styles and won.) His article is aimed at those trying to do lightsaber duels in their fan films. He offers some great, expert advice and is just entertaining to read. It's not very often that a real professional swordsman, with the credentials to back him, post an article here! :D I have one of his books and have learned alot of what I know from him and his studies. I am a member of the organization he is director of, and it's been a joy working with those people. (he isnt here in Utah- he's down in Texas somewhere I think- but he usually makes a trip here once a year to do a seminar.) heres where the article is.
    http://www.theforce.net/theater/theaternews.html#1058

14. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    Master_Beorn and whoever else that cares ;),
    not to start a battle, but to engage in friendly debate... :) There are a few flaws in our statements. I referenced Braveheart as kind of just a general idea. Problem with that is that most of the clothing, weapons, and armor was not historically correct for that time period. Kilts did not exist then, for one. The predominant use of armor at this time was mail and padded jacks (coats). So your statement of 'crushing a cuirass' wouldnt really work cause large plate armor didnt exist at the time. There is some evidence of knee and elbow cops- but thats about it. Here is a link to one of the best historicall re-enactment groups in the world for this time period and location. Just go here: http://www.gaddgedlar.com/ and then click on the side on 14th Century for William Wallace (Braveheart)era info with pictures and research. The swords at the end of the 1200's and the early 1300's (time period of William Wallace) were mostly single handers and weighed, for the most part, under 3 lbs. For the common man the single hand sword and buckler (small shield) was a common pair to have. The earliest swordfighting manual we have depicts this in amazing detail for its age. Called the I.33- you can view the whole manual here: http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/i33/i33.htm

Though not written as a fight manual (or fechtbuch as they are commonly reffered to in the sword circles -German for 'fight book') There is another beautiful series of manuscripts with extensive pictures depicting life and battle from around 1300-1315 called, 'Die Mansesseche Liederhandschrift'. To see this beautiful book go here: http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/manesse/manesseHome.htm
    Most of the battles or tournaments (fighting in tournaments was a little different breed than what went on, on the battlefield during war), depicted in these pages are single handers with a heater (classic shield shape) shield or a buckler as in I.33. Not shy about showing blood, there is plenty of evidence of the cutting power of these swords. Granted not every cut is going to cleave through cleanly. But there is little to no evidence of helms being crushed without them being cut. Again, notice that the armor is almost exclusively chain mail.
    Again, swords during this time were mostly in the under 3 lbs range- more so in the 2lbs and a little change area. Swords weighing 4lbs and up are not all that common. I have a late 14th century bastard sword, (this is a real term! - I guess i can also call it hand and a half, but that takes too long ;)) that is 48" long and weighs only 3lbs 11oz. And this sword actually weighs more than the originals would- its been beefed up a little bit to take alot of hard practice. Here is the actual sword I have: http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt2146.htm

There were some 2-handers at this time, but they were usually only in the hands of knights and rarely seen by the common soldier. Here is a fantasic example of one of these types: http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/deltin/dt2146.htm In fact, that company's line of swords called, The Albion Mark? Next Generation Hand Made Line, are all fantasic examples of historically accurate swords as far as design shape and weight go. All these blades are heavily reserched from surviving antiques and period texts.
    The hand and a half's and two handed swords of the mid 1400's still didnt weight much more than 3.5 lbs or so.

Sword techniques aginst plate armor was designed to get around the armor- not through it.
    Its not until the mid 1500's and into the 1600's that we start seeing the bigger swords weighing 4+ lbs. Though they certainly had the ability to crush, and did, they were certainly able to cut viciously. Even in later times, a blow that is going to crush your plate armor (the aforementioned curiass is basically a chest plate), is going to shatter your ribs and make you basically useless. That and with a hard blow like that- the second you are hit with that kind of force, you opponent is going to was

15. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    Further clarification: I cant resist! ;) Though I mentioned earlier that 'The Princess Bride' used rapiers in their fights- it is NOT an accurate example of how they were used. Just saying... ;)

ALSO: I mentioned the Gadgellar site above as a good place to get accurate info on "Braveheart" era warfare. (They also have great info about Scottish warfare from the 14th century all the way through to the 16th century). They have a Frequently Asked Questions area with a whole section on 'What was Wrong With Braveheart?'. Look for the Frequently Asked Questions tab on the left side if you wanna learn some ;)

16. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    So, when I finish the screen play for my fan film you're going to do the choreography for the saber fight, right Allen?

17. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    Well I'm not cheap.... kidding ;) Of course I will.

18. RenegadeFury

RenegadeFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2003
    Allen, I love you.

Yeah I know John Clements, I did a seminar with him with the Provo ARMA chapter while I was up there still going to school. I LOVE the Knight vs. Samurai and Rapier vs. Katana essays on the ARMA site!

19. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    Cool! Yeah those are the great ones! I love how no one expects a plastic knife to cut through paper, but as soon as someone sees a katana they suddenly find it resonable that it can cut through concrete, machine guns, and SUV's ;) Physics and common sense take a back seat when it comes to anything Japanese!

20. 20x6

20x6 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I've cut through paper with a plastic knife. Maybe I should try the katana machine gun thing!

21. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    *sits down with popcorn to watch the specticle*

22. AliKatKelts

AliKatKelts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2003
    *Drags in luvsacs and joins Ondiv*

23. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    One of the greatest video clips EVER!!!!
    For Sale: Set of "Battle Ready" Practice Katanas with Lifetime Guarentee!

Go here: http://sickjokes.about.com/library/blmedia.htm

and its the 6th one down under Latest Clips- called 'Selling Swords'

This is what happens when your blade is made of stainless steel and has CHINA or PAKISTAN stamped on the blade.

On the reverse side - here are some clips of John Clements - The guy who wrote that article on lightsaber fight suggestions over in fan Films:
    http://www.thearma.org/Videos/TPVideos.htm

24. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    "a bit breaks off and clips him, causing him to fall and whine a lot"

Why can't stuff like that happen while I'm watching the HSN?? The business student in me wants to know what happened after that with the sales of the katanas ;)

25. AllenReturns

Apr 14, 2004
    the katanas were fine... but that special "ninja-proof" table skyrocketed in sales! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.