main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My new Religon (Check This Out, Its Interesting)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Kung-Fu-Yoda, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Kung-Fu-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    So I was listining to the radio today, and the guy says that 27% of Americans consider their religon "Jedi" :p Yippee! I have a new religon LOL :) What do you guys think of this? Are you Jedi? ;)

-Yoda ;)

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I've heard that before. I think I'll be a Jedi when I move out. I think I read somewhere that people in Australia or New Zealand or somewhere people would be fined if they lied in their census. Brave people, the Force is strong in them all...

3. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Yeah, there's an urban legend that says if X number of people list Jedi as their religion on the census, it would become an official religion. It's not true, from what I've read. This sparked a debate with my friends, where I argued that Jedi was just as valid as any other religion, lol.

4. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Can't you get fined if you list a phony religion? That's what it said about New Zealand or whatever.

5. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Sep 26, 2002
    Trust me, That didn't go in my census, I actually think that its screwed up that somebody would list thier religon as "Jedi". I mean I like starwars, but Im a christian, not a Jedi (as much as I'd like to be)Did anyone here put Jedi on their census?

-Yoda

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Okay, there's a fine line between fandom and insanity... [face_plain]

teamhansolo likes this.
  7. JediRuler

JediRuler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2002
    The people in Australia were fined $1,000 but I heard in England that so many people put Jedi, that they British government had to put it down as a religion on their census. They even put it in the Dictionary! :D

teamhansolo likes this.
  8. JediRuler

Jul 15, 2002
    Well if you're atheist, and you put Jedi, what does it matter, it doesn't mean you're insane.

:confused:

9. bjork_109

bjork_109 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    Well actually Jedi-"ism" fallows almost every single guideline real religions do: Expect for worshipping a certain Divine being...although people could agrue about the Force playing that part.

But getting away from the serious stuff, that is pretty darn cool. Think about it; I went to a Morman Temple once with my friend and they asked me to fill out a card and they asked my religion. Would have been funny if I said: "Oh well I'm a Jedi. May the Force be with You friend..."

*Lol!* ;)

-Bjork.

10. JediRuler

Jul 15, 2002
  11. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Sep 26, 2002
    "There's a fine line between fandom and insanity" -Mar17swgirl

That is sooooo true!!! :p

I think you guys all have valid input. Yes, I think you can get fined for making up a religon, but then again all of these cults out there, aren't they made up religons? I agree with "TheWombat" once X amount of people say its a religon, It's a religon, weather it actually is or not is another story. America has enough to screw around with right now, without the sanctioning of a new religon. Thats about all I have to say for now...Alright post number 50!

-Yoda ;)

12. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Remember:
    - Attachment is forbidden
    - Possession is forbidden

;)

13. DarthTader

DarthTader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    De Gods! what es mesa sayin'?

All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force
    All hail da Force

14. SONOFBEN

SONOFBEN Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2002
    no there wouldn't be a fine if you lied and said your religion was "Jedi". Remember that our country was founded on religious freedom. It is stated in our constitution that we have the right to choose our own religion.

In all actuality the religion of "Jedi" wouldn't be so bad. From what I've gathered, it is a combination of many, many different religions. So in becoming a "Jedi" you would be using all the good parts of each religion. Most of the popular Eastern religions don't worship a diety, so that solves that problem.

I'm not advocating changing your religion. I'm a christian and probably will be unless my thoughts and faith change, but being a "Jedi" wouldn't be a bad thing to supplement my faith in doing what is good and serving people.

15. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    All hail the force!

16. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    That'd make an awfully cool religion. Honestly, that'd be so neat.... Insane, but neat. And belief in the Force as an all powerful, energy- emm- thingy- isn't really that different from some Wiccan beliefs, correct me if I'm wrong, about positive and negative ebergy and stuff.

Seriously, though, if you're an atheist and don't have a religion, what do you put on your census?

17. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Sep 26, 2002
    If your an athiest you probably put "other", or there might be a "none" or "athiest" box, if there isn't, there should be. As far as simmlar wiccan beliefs, I think wiccan is a screwed up religon too, I apologize if I offened anyone, but thats me personal belief. My advise is stick with your religon, dont change it just because a couple of wacked out peolple lied on their census. Stick with what you believe, "Tis demanded by da Gods it tis"

-Yoda ;)

18. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Sep 26, 2002
    *waits for a reply*

I feel soooo alone....

-Yoda ;)

19. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Jedi-ism is a real religion they have doctorines and even some temples. Seriously look it up on the internet. I have read some of the literature and Ideals. It seemes heavily based on Buddism.
    There are real followers, who are not crazy or lying. Bashing others religious beliefs and calling them crazy is not in the spirit of the boards. Based on your postes, most of you are coming across as somewhat ignorant. insensitive and prejudice. Sorry if I am harsh, but you don't see me bagging on your religion.
    If you want to debate PM me and we will take it outside.

20. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Well, just to clarify, I hope I didn't come across as insensitive. Maybe a tad ignorant. Honestly, if people make Jedi-ism into a real religion, that's fine by me. It's all good. I try to be openminded.

21. ArichTheViking

ArichTheViking Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Jedis are fictional characters from movies. Religion is something a person is supposed to believe, as the truth of the universe. I am not sorry if I offend someone, because creating a religion based on a movie concept is freakish, absurd, and could be considered satan-inspired by followers of real religions. While the concepts and ideals of Jedi may be something a person admires, believing you are a jedi and that the force exists is insane. Furthermore, 27% of America does not follow this "religion." That is CENSORED

Mod Edit: Watch your language [face_plain]

22. Kung-Fu-Yoda

Sep 26, 2002
    My apologies, QuiGonTim, I didn't mean to come across like that, Im not like that.

-Yoda ;)

23. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Please take any aguements PM.

This thread is about puting "Jedi" down as a eligion in you nation's latest census recording. Please don't discuss other religions or put this thread off-topic.

24. Obi-wan-Damion

Obi-wan-Damion Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2002
  25. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I forgive you all, for you know not what you say,
    Back to the original topic. In this country we are supposed to have freedom of religion. Free to believe what ever we want, and not be ridicled for it. Our founding fathers believed that was what would make us great. Jedi-ism is valid, but even if it were not, people should be free to put what ever they like on the census. Also I am sure it amuses the census takers.
    And it seems to upset small minded, cheese head vikings, with faciest attitudes tward religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.