main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My own designs (updated Nov 8th... although not SW)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CucumberBoy, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CucumberBoy

CucumberBoy Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 11, 2007
    Thanks guys. I'll definitely try to make her grip harder - shouldn't be too difficult :)

I just wanted to say the image is 1300 px high now. If anyone would like to have a look at the full-res version it's here: Full-res

2. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Ok so I guess this has nothing to do with Star Wars but I'm sort of happy with the design and I wanted to show it to you guys.[image=http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs18/f/2007/172/d/7/Bomber_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

3. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Cool design! I really like the shading in the colouring.

4. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, I agree! A very cool design (and I love airplanes of all kinds, so think this rocks! :D )! Love the shading and "propeller effect"--and the b/g looks great, just like a forest from altitude! Great job!

FF

5. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Thanks - I'm glad you guys like it. Especially the shiny render which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Here is a design that is a bit more Star Warsy :D

[image=http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs17/f/2007/185/5/0/Cruiser_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

I'm not anywhere near a scanner or my tablet right now - so this is the quality you get. It doesn't have near as much detail as when you look at it on paper. Oh well.

6. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Yo - what up? I decided to upload two more of my drawings (I have a few more which I figured was not ready for publishing yet)

[image=http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs17/f/2007/185/1/d/Force_crystal_cave_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

The story is that the a sith lord is drawing power from the giant force crystal before engaging our heroes. I have more concepts about this location which I can upload later.

[image=http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/185/3/3/Amphibious_aircraft_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

It can land on water and the pontoons are retractable which I think is pretty neat. Don't forget the proton missiles.

7. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/185/a/8/Super_bomber_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

hey. once again - the quality is sh** but I like it.

It's a transport for giant EMP bombs to release at massive droid armies (it's a republic bomber). It can only hold one bomb at a time. The bulge in the middle sort of "wraps" around the bomb - thereof the shape.

I cannot wait to render this one - I hate having to use my crappy camera.

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I have to say that I'm enjoying looking at your pencil sketches, CB--it's always fun to see how artists go about their process (in your case, from the traditional to the digital), and these are no exception.

I really like the location/scene--the sense of scale is awesome, and the perspectives are wonderful. This would be an awesome scene to see rendered, and I hope you'll undertake it sometime!

The "pontoon" craft looks great, and I could so see this in planetside naval operations! The bomber is an impressive craft--it looks as though it could engage in fighter-type activity after delivering what could only be described as the "planet-buster" type of bomb...sure wouldn't want to be under one of those things, that's for sure!

Thanks for sharing these WIPs--like I said, it's fun to see how folks go about their art!

FF

9. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hi FF - it's nice to see someone is finally replying to this thread after my sketches were posted (I'm not surprised it's you :D). Either people don't like them or they are spoiled with all my finished work. Or perhaps they spend their free time outdoors now when it's summer and all. I do, as much as I can - unfortunately the weather is pretty dull. But the bright side is that that gives me time to come up with new designs (I have a few going on...)

Cheers

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Don't read too much into the lack of comments--sometimes things get pretty dead (especially during vacation times and when everyone's busy with exams in school)--it's nothing you've done or haven't done! ;) And not everyone likes to see the WIPs, though it's one of the things I really enjoy! :D --keep up the great work!

FF

11. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs18/f/2007/196/a/3/Inside_the_chasm_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "Just like Beggar's Canyon back home!"
    :D

Awesome landscape! I love the curve to this canyon, and the overhangs--looks very much like some of the canyon country I've seen in Utah (uber-cool, that!); great work on the light, too, with it spilling over the rim, and the soft sunset/sunrise colors above. Is this for a scene you're working on, or just an exercise in rendering...? Just curious--I can almost see the podracers roaring through here! ;) :D

FF

13. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Thanks FF. Yeah it's more of a exercise. Here's ust some random thing I had in my mind and drew in a few minutes. But I think it's worth a real enviroment render somtime in the future.

[image=http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs17/f/2007/197/a/7/Desert_cliffs_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

14. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I like your last pic very much!!

AG88

15. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hey this is (according to me) my best piece ever! Here ya go - it's the old force crystal cave.

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/204/a/f/Force_crystal_cave_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey, CB! Sorry I've been so tardy in commenting on these latest pieces... :(

I LOVE the desert scene: the "aerial perspective," the scale and the overall light in it is just awesome! =D= It's almost like one of those Japanese silk paintings, with the softness of the shadowing and line--the "misty" effect near the ground is a gorgeous touch. You say you want to embellish this someday--I rather like it as it is now, myself: keeping the softness and the "loose" quality would be a good choice, IMHO. **nods**

Great job with the Force-crystal cave, too--again, superb scale to this (with the tiny Sith and his double-bladed lightsaber there on the platform). I think the only thing that's bothering me about this one is the "lining:" with all the light generating from the huge crystaline structure, you could, I think, eliminate some of the dark lining in favor of light--use "rim lighting" to define some of the overhanging rock and edges. It would lend a bit more realism and atmosphere to the piece, I think (keep in mind this is strictly my opinion, and may not be what someone else sees here). As with most of your work, the perspectives and structures are gorgeously done!

Keep up with these--your skills sharpen with each and every one!

FF

17. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Thanks FalconFan, I'm glad you like it

I know what you mean about the linework taking to much space in this drawing. I did try to fix that when I was working on it but never got it quite right. Now when someone elese has noticed it too - I'll have a look at it. But it'll have to wait, because I'll be gone for two weeks.

ciao

18. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/222/c/9/Space_cowboy_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

Was 600 kilometers away from my computer so I used what I had.

19. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/228/9/d/Star_destroyer_down_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

I'm really glad how this turned out. It's a Star destroyer shot down over Ryloth. I didn't care too much about the details on the destroyer - I think it's pretty obvious what it is.

20. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/228/a/8/CIS_walker_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

A heavily armed, fast walker for the CIS droid army. In run mode it leans its head and neck forward for balance. The run cycle is very similar to that of an ostrich.

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    These last three pieces are great, CB! The figure/character sketch is wonderful--relatively good proportions, though you may want to slim down the hips just a tad (on most men, the shoulders are wider than the hips)--that's really my only suggestion! Cool painting of the dying Star Destroyer--that plume of black smoke is pretty ominous... Can you imagine the impact of something this big...? **shivers** The new attack droid is yet another terrific design: all the armament and just the shape of it is pretty threatening--love the depth in this piece, too--excellent shading! Wonderful updates!

FF

22. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Thanks FF. I'm glad at least some one is enjoying my hard labour :p Slimming down the hips seems like a very good suggestion and I'll defenitely try that if I find the original. That reminds me, I have to redo the force crystal cave... Anyway, it was nice getting some feedback. See ya later

btw, my 17th birthday was the 12th of August and one thing I got was financial aide for a new computer I'm building (with a little help from a friend :) ) and in time I'll cram it so full of RAM, NASA will be in awe. Nevertheless, when I get my computer I'll be busy with school and I'll probably be doing other things in my spare time than sit in front of my screen - so the updates might be sort of slow... just so that you know.

alright, bye

23. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Happy Belated Birthday, CB!

Your work keeps on getting better. Love your landscapes. They're all so impressive. =D=

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, belated Happy Birthday! Hope it was a happy one! :D

FF

25. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hi Miranda and FF, and thank you. It was indeed a happy birthday. I have something in the works now. You'll just have to wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.