main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My own designs (updated Nov 8th... although not SW)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CucumberBoy, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CucumberBoy

CucumberBoy Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 11, 2007
    Thank you, MASTERANNIE :) I'm glad you liked the previous one as well. It took ages to paint :p

2. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/025/f/3/f33267d4099b5ef0.jpg]

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, my! Awesomely cool! I love the latest piece (and really need to take a good long browse over at dA!)--the light is wonderful! It comes through on my monitor a bit fuzzy, but it looks like a modified X-wing style of craft, foils situated forward rather than aft... I could so see this as Jaina, flight testing a new prototype--doing the Beggar's Canyon thing her Uncle Luke used to do! ;) The balance in the composition is wonderful, with the light areas on the right and the large shadowed cliff on the left--beautiful focus on the craft, too. Wonderful!

FF

4. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Well, well... If it isn't good ol' FF. I'm glad you like my most recent. The starship design was just something I scrambled together really. I'm glad you find it alright :D I'm looking forward to seeing you on DA!

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woah, that's amazing!!! I love the colors.

6. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/038/d/f/Approaching_the_hangar_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

It's a bit meh, but I'm very comfortable with the technique I used here, I might use it in the future.

The LAAT Gunship is not my own design. Once again I use it as foreground :p

7. ART2-D2

ART2-D2 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 17, 2007
    How do you get that look?, I enjoy your style, the muted grey wash look. I'm not big on color.
    Thumbs up...

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow. That is AMAZING!!

9. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah--AWESOME light, once again! =D= I love the way you handle it in your work--there's a beautiful luminosity that seems to infuse the entire piece, much the way our own beloved wicktone used to create, and a lot like Ralph McQuarrie's fabulous work, too. Excellent feeling of "altitude" here, as though we're really quite high up, and the consistency of the shadowing is wonderful! Again, a beautiful work!

FF

10. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Great stuff, all of it since I last posted in here! The lighting in the last one is particularly outstanding.

11. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hi guys, thanks for all the nice words!

As for your question ART2-D2, the process is simple. I start of with a lineart layer and create a new layer below that, which is a layer with shades of grey. Above the lineart I've got some paint daubs, mostly highlights and brighter areas. And then I finsih off with a layer on top of all the others, completely filled with blue, I seat it to 'Colorize' (only available in Painter) and voila! A lot of people (and by a lot I mean 4 or 5) have asked me about the making of this one, so I'll get started on a tutorial as soon as I can.

12. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    Wow looks cool, I like the x wing there passing by.

13. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/055/4/9/49280275ca7c3d99.jpg]

14. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    That one there gives me almost an Indiana Jones vibe.

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, kewl!! Love the colors, and the light (...as always! :p )! I totally agree with Giolon here: there's a definite "Indiana Jones" vibe!! [face_laugh] That eerie, beckoning portal...what terrors and treasures lie within...? Wonderful framing and composition with this one, too--there's a real sensation of being DEEP in a dark jungle (...I can almost feel the hot, humid air! :D )! Very nice work!

FF

16. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/164/0/5/Rainy_day_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]
    [image=http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/165/5/0/Cool_fighter_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

17. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Very nice images, I really like the new two ships with their unique style and that forest temple scene is breathtaking. Bravo again!

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the new fighter and that rainy day. Great work and that temple Indy IV?

19. ART2-D2

ART2-D2 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 17, 2007
    Love the top ship where it looks like rain. That is so Awesome=D=

20. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Thanks guys. Glad you liked them. As for the jungle - it's not really inspired by Iniana Jones IV (or any of the Indy movies actually) since I drew it long before the movie. Can't remember what the inspiration was. I think I just saw some photo of a forest or something and decided to give it a shot...

21. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    [image=http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs28/f/2008/173/0/7/Rock_arch_planet_by_CucumberBoy.jpg]

When I was a kid I used to be so amazed by those arch-shaped rocks in Utah and whatnot - so I decided to scale it up a bit.

The impressionist brush in Painter is awesome.

22. DaMaher

DaMaher Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2008
    this stuff is amazing! could you please post a tutorial of you making one of these speed paintings? Amazing work!

23. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Wow I can't get over how beautiful your art work is!

24. Paul-RMQ

Paul-RMQ Art Director/Designer - for Ralph McQuarrie VIP

Jun 30, 2008
    Hey there.

Nice stuff - I especialy like the ship landing in the rain and the foresty environment.

Lovely use of light and colour - you obviously 'get it'. Only suggestion I'd put forward is that it could be a good idea to concentrate on what's underneath that for a while - push your draftsmanship skills a little(perspective etc).

Ralph has a preference for clean and simple designs - strangely they can be the hardest to get to. It's just so tempting to overwork a piece isn't it?

Keep it up, it's very cool stuff, and a life as an artist is a life were you just get better and better (so never throw away your old stuff!).

25. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    A big thanks to all of you!

I suppose I could do a tutorial.

As a response to your message Paul, I've always been told I have a really good sense for perspective and if you have a look at my earlier stuff you'll see that I had a lot of problems with rendering early on (this thread is basicly my entire artistic history of drawing in color) so I decided to focus on lighting and color and whatnot to get better at that instead of just perspective. I'm glad you think it looks good. It's always great to hear some constructive criticism (especially when mixed with compliments :p ).

And Ralph is a genius, what can I say. I try to keep my designs relatively simple as well but they're nothing like Ralph's I suppose. I try to find my own style and I draw a lot of inspiration from real world aviation. Nevertheless; Ralph's a huge inspiration source.

Again, you guys are what makes drawing Star Wars worth while with all your nice words and enthusiasm. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.