main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My own designs (updated Nov 8th... although not SW)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CucumberBoy, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CucumberBoy

CucumberBoy Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 11, 2007
    Wow, that was really helpful. Like a deep, profound jedi speach. Thanks a lot for the guidance. We'll see what path I will follow.

I don't want to make this thread about me, but what's the first thing I need to work on in your opinion?

Anyway. Next one. A design by Mitth_Fisto.

[image=http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m254/Cucumber_Boy/joshsship.jpg]

2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Yes, listen to the bird you must! Truth he speaks.

See this is why I am also happy that I am just a language teacher at presence and not doing art classes. I always find it difficult to judge the kiddos. I want them to grow and find things out. Some just got deeply hurt by a bad mark and just stop exploring themselves.

And in the end, learning never stops. You are always on the way to perfection...

3. Paul-RMQ

Paul-RMQ Art Director/Designer - for Ralph McQuarrie VIP

Jun 30, 2008
    "Wow, that was really helpful"

Great, I'm so glad (that was the idea). By the time you hit 40, you kind of figure a few things out you wish you'd been equipped with in your 20s! Sorry if I got preachy, just trying to be give you a hand.

"Jedi speech" Lol - my nieces call me "Uncle-Obi", I kid you not ;)

"I don't want to make this thread about me" I don't see why it can't be, there are plenty of threads that aren't, but then that's up to you of course.

"What's the first thing I need to work on in your opinion" - "attack any weaknesses you think you might have"

Just be honest with yourself, you're probably the best judge of where you need to grow. If you think it'll be difficult to execute - that's maybe something you should try.

Maybe make a list of challenges and incorporate them into some of the images you really want to paint. ie: paint fire, rain, waves, moving people etc, etc - you name it basically.

If you'd like my opinion, (based on the handful of images here) I'd say you're off to a fantastic start! Just ask yourself what you might be asked to draw in your dream job - then show yourself that you can draw it now. If sci-fi is your thing then you'd probably benefit from painting a little hardware - maybe a few starships, robots, ground vehicles etc.

I like the ship painting, nice angles, very elegant strokes.

4. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Why thanks, Uncle-Obi.

No no no, I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. What you're saying does make sense. I'm going to try drawing a city some time in the future. That has always seemed hard to me.

Yes, sci-fi is my thing. I'm not sure, have you seen my starship designs on the other pages of this thread? There really are quite a lot. And I'm not talking about the ones in the first post :p

5. Paul-RMQ

Jun 30, 2008
    Hey, no problem.

Perspective is one of those things that still trips me up occasionally even after all these years. When you get comfortable with an image it's easy not to notice any subtle mistakes.

One of the most useful pieces of advice I was ever given was this - flip the image horizontally occasionally - then look really closely at what you've put down. If somethings not right it'll jump out at you. Just don't do it too often while working on the same piece, or you can loose your objectivity.

If you're working on paper, put a mirror up against it and check out the reflection.

Yeah I checked out all of your vehicle designs, they're great. You're definitely off to a flying start! Technology is always the place where draftsmanship has to be bang on, with landscapes any roughness is more easily accepted.

Everything looks wonderful, you've nailed some stuff that can take a long time to figure out - contrast, colour, balance etc - no problemo. I'd just keep a slightly closer eye on your centre lines and the direction of your lines of convergence.

It is obvious you know this stuff. But then one of the great things about being an artist is the way your skills can always just grow and grow!

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Lovely, lovely work! =D==D= The almost epic nature of your landscapes is truly awesome--long views, gorgeous aerial perspective and depth, wonderful references to scale... The colors are luscious, and the way you handle light is truly beautiful... Awesome work!

FF

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very cool! I love the detail.

8. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hey everybody. Thanks for taking the time!

Paul, I'll try what you said, flipping the canvas. Found it in Painter and I'll be sure to use it next time. Because yes, after a while the painting just grows to familiar and everythings seems to make sense, even though it doesn't. Again, it's great to have your feedback - thanks.

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, it is always great to stumble over great artists here in fanart section and see them develope into even greater artists!

10. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Why thank you. That means a lot. Hopefully you can see that I've made at least some progress...

11. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved that new art of that ship

Great work=D==D=

12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    At least some progress?

:D

Hey, you are growing with each piece of art you do and get more and more amazing than you already are... tz!

13. Paul-RMQ

Jun 30, 2008
    Hey, 'some progress'? Your stuff is great! Don't let any 'critiques' disourage you buddy, be happy folks are getting behind you ;) I'm seriously looking forward to your next post. I'll definitely keep checking back as long as you put your work up here! I get a bigger kick form some of yor stuff than looking at the work of many so called 'profesionals'.

14. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    That's great to hear. Thanks. I'll be updating as soon as I can, but that might be a while. I'm pretty frickin' busy now. School mostly. I've got like 5 or 6 requests waiting. After that - no more requests for a while...

ok cheers
    /Gustaf

15. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Busy like hell... I took a few minutes to draw this though. Enjoy. (sorry it's not Star Wars btw)
    [image=http://fc65.deviantart.com/fs38/f/2008/312/b/2/b2972626155a8b75980b1b48481d41b9.jpg]

(stupid chemistry piece of crap assignment)

16. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    "stupid chemistry piece of crap assignment"

LOL! Hey, we all need to get our assignments done! ;) :D

This looks really cool--is it a concept, or an actual vehicle? I love the quick, loose feel and steep perspective--nice use of light, too! Hope the "busy" doesn't go on too long! :D

FF

17. CucumberBoy

Mar 11, 2007
    Hey FF, it's great to hear from you. It's just a concept. I don't usually draw cars; but when I do, it's a lot of fun. I'ts kind of relaxing too.

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That looks pretty cool!

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Could have been the new Bond car...

*also imagines your car on display in the "Autostadt Wolfsburg" in Germany that was raised by VW*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.