main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My pitch for the TV show

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jasperjones, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    HI guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place. What do you think? It's just ramblings mainly. What would other people like to see?

What makes/made Star Wars great?

Characters you love and can identify with, and the rapport between those characters.

A sense of fun, a sense of risk, danger and real menace.

Humour without gags that come from the characters and the situations they find themselves in. These need to be real people with real issues, not merely mythic cyphers. And more focus on the human characters, or at least the humanity, or lack there-of of alien and droid characters.

Planets that are not too fantastical. As much as possible should be shot on location, with sets built whenever possible. Bring the reality back to the SW universe. Bring back the grit, the dust, the grime: the used universe. CG should be used to expand rather than envelope. This is not anti -cg rant as CG used well can be excellent but overload is responsible for a disconnect that alienates some audience viewers. It would also enable actors to connect to their roles and environments better.

Dare I say it? Make SW more adult. Empire Strikes back is easily the most adult and yet still popular with children. Removing the childishness will not mean that SW is no longer for children.

Plot- Focus on the time between Sith and a New Hope. The story should focus on a Jedi general: a more earthy Jedi than we?ve been used to. Male. Human. Early 30?s. Let?s call him SI DIGGS (although it could really be anything). A powerful Jedi but never comfortable with the strict rigidity of the Code and it?s rather blinkered outlook on the force, he was lucky to learn from JESS HERNE, a female Jedi master, ten years his elder, who fostered his curiosity and encouraged him to question, rather than fear what he did not understand. His exuberance would often boil over into recklessness but she was always there beside him when things got out of hand. Truth be told she found the excitement exillarating and the pair formed a close bond. Tired of butting heads with the Council the pair spent less time on Coruscant and more time at the rough end of the galaxy, seeking to learn more away from the gleaming spires of civilisation and use their powers where they were needed most. Little did they realize that the real menace lurked at the heart of the galaxy.

When The Clone Wars began they did not hesitate to join the crusade against the separatists, and at first they served together, Jess taking the rank of General with Diggs under her as Captain but as the Jedi ranks were thinned by the devastation of war, Diggs was promoted to General and took his own command.

As the story begins, the Clone Wars are almost at an end. The might of the Republic has driven the separatist army back and lies on the brink of victory. Herne and Diggs are stationed on the planet OPUCHI. Once a lush temperate planet it has been blasted to desolation as the struggle to control the strategically vital planet (it has huge natural fuel reserves) has intensified into catastrophic stale-mate. The surface is a barren no-man?s land of trenches as the two armies pound each other to oblivion. The environmental upheaval caused by the destruction has led to almost constant downpour and the acidic rain plays hell with the technology of both armies, although not quite enough to render the droid army hepless.

The first episode would get us to know the characters, principally, Diggs and Herne, as well as their clone commandos (who would be wearing practical suits), and key members of the idigenous guerillas. The focus would be on the intimate and the personal. We would need to get under the skins of these characters and really care about them otherwise what?s the point? Diggs will lead a team of commandos and guerillas on a covert raid through a secret trench system behind enemy lines while Herne leads the main assault over the top. As victory is within their reach it is snatched cruelly from them as across the galaxy, Chancellor Palpatine, declares himself Emperor and all Jedi ou

2. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Some good ideas, I'm sure the TV series will be nothing we expect just like the PT was.

3. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    YOu're probably right mate!

4. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Whoa-wo-wo-whooooah fella! I reckon Kyle Katarn might have something to say about that ;)
    (and what a perfect moment to re-mention that a Kyle Katarn series would be the perfect action-vehicle for SWTV; different missions/locations/enemies/cameos every week; mint!)

:D {||||| ?||} -----------------------------

5. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    Those are some truly great points. I think it would be best for the show to return to the OT. I think it would be difficult to do now, with all the PT has done. I would go a little further than you have and take a staunch anti-CG stance. It would probably not end in good things if CG were a prominent thing. BSG is good with the CG usage. I think that a little more of the on-site shooting would also be great.

The real locations is what the PT missed that should be accented in the show.

6. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    OK, we'll add Kyle Katarn to the list of characters...Diggs'll take him under his wing as he gets older.

7. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    Well, since we're brainstorming, and jasperjones started the ball rolling . . . . .

I like the idea of a new sage Jedi leader being introduced. Perhaps even taking some adventurous gang of misfits under his watch. Maybe even trying to tutor one or two on the elemental ways of the force, with rather limited and frustratingly unreliable success.

What I really think is an interesting angle is telling the contrasting stories of the growth of the Empire along with the formation and survival of the Rebellion. Not many TV series have been dedicated to the bad guys points of view week after week. The audience loves to hate the bad guys, but the theme must vary week-to-week for a series to survive. GL will likely be forced to temper the Empire story line with that of the heroes for the sake of morally focused parents and advertising sponsors. Perhaps these good/bad story lines could, at some point down the line, merge with one or more of our more familiar saga characters for a moment or two.

Of course, Bobba Fett figures to play a leading role from what we've heard to date. His 'rise' in status is a good tale to tell, and it would be cool to see how he gets some of those 'worn' areas on his suit.

I'm hoping we also get to see some Dark Jedi, not true Sith apprentices, who do Vader's dirty work after he 'persuades' them to pledge their allegience to the Emperor. And expanding the Tarkin bio plus meeting one or two other powerful Moffs would be pretty cool too!

GL has a lot of colors to paint this 'episode' with. Anything goes -- I think GL will rule on the small screen.

8. jasperjones

Oct 24, 2001
    Yeah, the great thing is that SW is full of fantastic villains that you could really spin off around for certain episodes. What could be very cool is that the galaxy and time frame are large enough yet familiar enough so that you could have a break from the main characters and completely focus on Fett for a show or two, which could also help with passage of time ( I wouldn't particularly want to see a teenage Fett).

I think the best thing about the series is that hopefully he'll get good writers onboard, which I would say has been his main problem so far. His ideas are normally great but they could be expressed far better, and watching something like Firefly/ Serenity I can't help thinking this is basically what SW used to be - lots of witty banter between likeable characters. Somewhere that went missing and that's what they need to get back. Add the SW universe to that and you've got something amazing. But you need to get back to the humanity on a more real level, not the epic.

I had thought about the idea of the Jedi setting up the rebel base on Dantooine and possibly attempting to train there. I'd love to see more Jedi training, especially the Trials, but I would love to focus on Jedi who weren't as stiff as the Jedi of the prequels. This is a dark time and they have to adapt to survive so they're not goody two shoes anymore and I'd get rid of all the master/ my apprentice dialogue as it's stilted and hard to relate to. THese guys need to be a bit more down to earth. Saltier I guess.

9. UPwind-ooooh

UPwind-ooooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2003
    Well, the Dantooine idea definitely ties into ANH with Leia spewing lies to Tarkin about the location of the rebel base. All we know is that when the planet was searched, the rebel base was abandoned. It would be cool to see the back story to that little line on the Death Star and what went on at Dantooine.

10. DarthSecura

DarthSecura Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2005
    Ok now you've started something, my pitch is as follows.

Series 1
    10 x 1 Hour shows. 2 parts to each show - so effectively you get 5 new films!

Various Location Visisted - Aldaraan, Dantooine, Tatooine, Korriban, Corellia, Coruscent, Utapau, Kashyyk, Bos Pity, Cato Niemodia, Felucia & Mygeeto

Split the shows up so they follow 4 or 5 character's. Band Of Brother's did this well by having mostly the same character's each episode but having the focus on a different one each time.

A show about the clones and how they slowly get replaced by enlisties, plus this would be cool to see a few war episodes, when they go into battle trying to occupy a planet. Make a bit more urban combat style like over running a capitol city.

Boba Fett Obviously should make an appearence and have a few couple of show's focus on him. Learning his trade, being a simple man/boy trying to make his way in the universe!

Mara Jade - as the emporer's hand or on route to being - Big EU favorite and am guessing would be a TV fav too. Along with Talon Karde, kinda cool to see him as a young rouge.

Han Solo - Young lad joining the Empirial Navy and then deserting, becasue while on shoreleave he runs up debts in a Sabaccclub with his mate Lando! and needs to make a quick escape! Ok maybe not but at least younger versions on the characters would be cool, maybe when the clones are taking over Kashyyk and enslaving the wookies, at the end of the series Solo could save Chewie! and Win his Millenian Falcon of Lando. This could also be good for line" I flown from one side of this galaxy to the other and seen a lot of strange things"

Quinlan Vos or Any Oher Jedi/'s multiple would be good trying to adapt. Maybe some Dark Jedi or Force Pike carrying Bounter Hunter's etc.

Any way if i think of anything else i post it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.