main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Place is at Your Side (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Firedrake88, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firedrake88

Firedrake88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    In case you miss it in my warning below, there are a couple of things I want to say. Recently, I've been trying to practice writing action scenes of different lengths, to see what suits me best. Unfortunately, in this story, they're all LONG and with way too many details. They go on and on forever. Also, in some non-action scenes, I kinda set challenges for myself to see if I could describe things in a certain way, and those also ended up being really long with a lot of useless details. I have a whole bunch of that kind of stuff thrown into this story and it probably has a negative effect on the flow of the writing and might get kinda of boring. Soo?for those of you who are willing to plunge through that, I really hope you enjoy this story and I promise my next stories are less experimental! Oh yeah, my warning definitely applies to the first part?beware of action.

Title: My Place is at Your Side
    Author: Erika
    Rating: PG-13
    Summary: When Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn fall prey to a vengeful madman who has planned and plotted his every action, will they be able to escape with their lives or will their loyalty to each other condemn them both to death?
    Time Frame: Obi-Wan is 18
    Spoilers: For JA
    Category: POV, angst, action, drama, h/c, non-slash
    Disclaimers: The Star Wars universe and all of its characters belong to George Lucas, I'm only borrowing them to have a little fun and I promise to return them unharmed (well, at least mostly unharmed =0). I'm making no money from this and this is written for entertainment purposes only. Any characters that are not recognizable as being part of the Star Wars universe belong to me, but you guys probably figured that out, right?
    Feedback: Both positive feedback and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated and will be cherished! (firedrake88@yahoo.com)
    Archive: Jedi Apprentice, Early Years, Wolfie's Den, JAFD, The Guardians of Peace, The Temple Library, Telly, and archives who have any of my other stories. Anyone else who wants this, please ask and send me a link to your site so that I can check it out. =D
    My Website: http://thesanctuary.fateback.com
    Warning/Author's Note: I'm not a doctor, nor do I pretend to know a lot about medicine, physiology, or anatomy (my high school class was good, but it was pretty basic), so don't expect everything in that aspect of this story to be perfectly realistic! Also, there are a bunch of rather long action scenes here, seeing as how I need to practice writing those, but don't worry, if you can wade through those, I promise there are lots of touching moments between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to make up for them.
    Special Thanks To: My good friends Cassia and LunarBlade. =D =D =D =D

Things enclosed in < >'s are <telepathic> communication through the Master/Padawan bond.

My Place is at Your Side
    ~ Part One: Storm Front ~

Obi-Wan:

"Brace yourself!" I called over my shoulder to Qui-Gon, who was meditating in the back section of the very small, very compact vessel we had been given by the Seltec Government, "We'll hit a little turbulence entering the lower atmosphere!"

Quickly changing the vector of our approach to compensate for the changing wind speeds, I grabbed onto the control console to keep myself steady. "Hold on!" I warned just as tremors seized the ship, making everything vibrate, including my body.

Although I knew that the vessel was being badly agitated and thrown about by this planet's exceptionally strong air turbulence, its shock absorbers had the remarkable ability of holding us relatively still.

Carried by an unexpected vortex of strong turbulence, the shuttle abruptly lurched forward and dropped nearly a hundred feet in altitude. For a few seconds it felt like the floor was falling out from under me, as if I was hurtling through a hole in time and space that was s

2. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Wow- you really know how to catch a reader's attention!

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    That was great! You really thought that scene through! :D

4. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Thanks guys! The next part will be up un Thursday, when I get back from school. :)

5. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was great. I already read it on your site (everyone should visit it! It's really great ;) )so I just came to up you here! Can't wait 'til Thursday! [face_love]

6. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Thanks LuvEwan, glad that you like the story and the site. :) Here's part two! I would have posted it earlier but I had a dentist appointment after school. Hope you enjoy!

~ Part Two: Crash Landing ~

Obi-Wan:

As my mind relinquished its control over my body and receded into the beckoning arms of sleep, the agony slipped from my mind. It was strangely inviting, the lulling world of painless rest, and I almost yielded to it without a single protest.

Almost.

No! The thought came with surprising fortitude. I could not lose consciousness! If I did, the ship would crash and Qui-Gon and I would both surely die. I was stronger than this - I had to fight to stay awake.

With desperate strength and determination, I pushed the darkness away, not letting it consume me. Rushing back to full consciousness I accepted the pain back into my system, taking it for what it was - a sign that the night would to claim me. My head swam and my thoughts were hazed, but I didn't let it faze me. Instead I blinked several times, struggling to clear my vision.

Finally, surrendering to my willpower, the shadows retreated and I was blessed with the semblance of clarity. The pounding pain that claimed the entirety of my head was furious in its unrelenting presence but I forced myself to ignore it. I had to regain control of the ship and issue an emergency landing - it was the only way we'd survive.

Groaning softly, I rolled my splayed body up off the floor and managed to get into a crouching position. I swayed precariously and nearly fell down again when my movements caught up with me and a flash of bright hot pain engulfed my thoughts. Viciously encircling my mind, the agony seemed intent on thwarting me.

I shook my head - I had to land this ship and I wouldn't let anything stop me.

Reaching out to the Force I let it wash over me and offered up my pain to it, willing it to ease the brutality of it enough for me to think. Infinite in its possibilities, the Force embraced my body and the light of its sheer serenity washed over my body, soothing away the harshness of the agony.

Despite the terrible, earthquake-like tremors that shook the ship, I was able to climb to my feet and stumble into the pilot's chair. The pain was still there, all too stinging in its touch, but it was bearable now.

Even as I took in the information that the computers were flooding me with, I reached out to Qui-Gon. <Master?> I sent to him, <are you all right?>

There was no answer.

Momentarily turning, I saw that my Master was splayed across the computer console directly across from his chair. A pool of blood surrounded his head, seeping to cover the shiny surface of the control panel. He trembled with the violently shaking ship but he was completely unresponsive to any external stimuli and alarmingly lifeless. He was unconscious.

I grimly returned my gaze to the flashing panels before me - I would have to do this alone. For Qui-Gon's sake and my own.

Taking in the swirling mass of black and red that covered the visual readout, I intuitively imputed the new vector that would lead the ship through the calmest patch of air that I could find. However, considering the tempest, that wasn't saying much.

It was only then that I heard the alarm's warning cry. The sound was no different than it had been before - equally loud and grating - but it held in it the warning cry of a thousand sirens. An ominous hum in the Force served to chill my blood - the unsettling feeling shot through me like the tremors that wracked the shuttle.

My gaze was drawn to the systems panel. The flashing red light told me all I needed to know - the navigational array had gone out. Without it I had no way of telling where the ship was - no way to gauge our altitude or position. All I had was the small visual readout, a display of the air space immediately surrounding the vessel.

Instead of letting myself worry over what to do, I trusted my instincts. A second's glance at the visual readout had me altering t

7. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    [face_shocked]

8. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    ~ Part Three: Eyes in the Dark ~

Obi-Wan:

Placing my hands on his shoulders I began to shake him almost frantically. "Master!" my voice was urgent and loud in the dead silence of the shuttle. "Qui-Gon!" I exclaimed, with more urgency this time, denying that he could really be gone, that I could have lost him in such a senseless manner. <Qui-Gon!> now I sent my frenzied plea through our lifeless bond and imbued my voice with all the powerful, uncontrollable emotions I was feeling.

My own loud breathing suddenly filled my ears and I was struck motionless by the sense of distorted reality that replaced my previous terror. Now, under my tightly gripping hands my Master was completely immobile, and my heart clenched upon receiving no reaction from him. I was so overwhelmed by my emotions that I almost missed the soft moan because of the pounding of my heart as it threatened to beat its way out of my chest.

I sucked a quick breath of air into my lungs and held it there, forcing myself to remain totally silent as another, louder, groan emerged from deep within Qui-Gon's chest, sounding to my ears like the most beautiful noise I had ever heard. His eyelids remained closed but underneath them I could see my Master's eyes moving, as if he was trying to look around. Then there was a gentle, disoriented touch on my mind through our reawakened bond, followed by a flood of agony that wasn't my own.

"Qui-Gon," I whispered softly, my relief so great that his name caught in my throat and my voice was gruffly strangled. Tears stung at my eyes, blurring my vision. Despite my best attempts to hold back the childish display of emotion, a few stray droplets of water slid down my cheeks and fell to wet his face.

I swallowed hard and blinked several times to clear away the tears. Then I brushed my bloodstained fingers through his knotted hair, determined to try and soothe away the lines of pain that had formed in Qui-Gon's brow. The agony of his head wound was pulsating in my own mind and I instantly delved deeper into our bond in an attempt to help him deal with it better. My endeavor was thwarted by Qui-Gon himself for my actions served to tell him that I could feel his pain and seconds later his control was strictly in place, effectively blocking everything he didn't want me to feel.

Shaking my head, I sighed softly. My Master always wanted to protect me from what he thought would hurt me but I wished that he would let me help him. Whenever I was hurt he used our bond to alleviate my pain and now that our places were reversed, I wanted to do the same for him.

Qui-Gon's eyes fluttered open and I immediately read the concern in them. A questioning tendril touched my mind and it was then that I realized that he had sensed my previous panic and had taken note of the tears that still pooled in my eyes. It humbled me that despite the pain I knew he was feeling, he was still worried for me.

With my terror for my Master's life having faded, I abruptly felt extremely embarrassed. When I had seen Qui-Gon lying on the floor I had panicked. I hadn't thought to check for his pulse, I had simply reacted. Everything I had ever been taught as a Jedi had vanished from my thoughts in the face of the fact that I thought my Master might be dead.

I felt a faint blush color my cheeks and shook my head slightly, trying to tell him that everything was all right. "How do you feel?" I asked, attempting to mask my shame from the bond.

Qui-Gon smiled slightly to reassure me, "I?I'll be all right, Padawan," he rasped, his voice cracking badly, but as soon as he answered my question he followed with one of his own. "H-how are?you?"

I immediately knew he was not talking about my physical state. "I-I thought that you?that you were?" my shaky voice was barely audible and I choked on my words, unable to finish the sentence as emotions swelled inside me. The memory of my previous fear for his life battled with my relief, making my heart ache.

My cheeks flushed even further and I closed my eyes, attempt

9. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    You really know how to push up the angst on this thing!

10. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Oh my god!! You sure know how to do this right!!

MORE!!

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Just reviewed this on ff.net..I'll review it here too!!!

That was FANTASTIC!!! :D

12. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    OHHHHHHHHHHHH BYYYYYYYYYYYY THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FORCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

13. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi! I just wanted to thank you guys for the FB!! I'm you're liking the angst/cliffhanger *innocent smile*. :) And thanks, LuvEwan, for reviewing my story on ff.n too! I'm glad you like the way I portray their relationship - I love writing it. :D Thanks again!

Like I sais before, the next part will be up on Wednesday!

14. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi everyone! Here's the next part, I hope you enjoy it!

~ Part Four: Tauntingly Familiar ~

Obi-Wan:

Pain expanded in my chest as I began to grow lightheaded. My lungs felt burningly empty and my heart pounded in sheer agony. My head thudded, causing my vision to swim, and I knew that if the man didn't release me, I would soon pass out. Through hazing eyes I struggled to make out my Master's form. Qui-Gon, with soaked and dripping hair, had frozen in place and was staring at my captor with what I shockingly realized was fright. Fright for my life.

Through the rain I heard loud footsteps approaching from the other side of the ship and squinted to see two people, just as large and imposing as the one who held me, emerge from the darkness. I could not see them very clearly but I knew, by the angle of their glowing yellow stares, that they were poised to jump Qui-Gon, and that my Master had seen them. Normally he would have moved - prepared to defend himself - but now he stayed completely still, and I could sense that he feared one false move would end my life.

"Release him," Qui-Gon commanded with a wave of his hand, imbuing his voice with a touch of the Force.

A bitter laugh sparked fear deep within me, "Save your tricks, Master Jinn, they will not save your apprentice," if possible, the blade dug further into my skin and I could now feel my own blood coating my flesh, running in cool tracks down my body with the rushing rain. "Surrender, or I will cut his throat and you can watch him die."

My own fright at realizing that he was Force-immune barely registered in my mind as the world began to swim in rippling waves around me. Through our bond I could feel Qui-Gon's stab of worry and I knew that although he was not one to easily give in, he would never endanger my life.

Qui-Gon would surrender, would let them capture us both in order to save my life. These people had to be responsible for the sabotage. How else would they know who we were and why else would they be attacking us? They wanted us dead. Once they captured him, they would kill us both anyway. There was no reason for him to sacrifice himself needlessly. I couldn't let him die for me.

<Go, Qui-Gon,> I urged him, fighting off the darkness in hopes of staying conscious just a few moments longer, <Leave me.>

My Master shook his head firmly, <Never,> his voice brooked no room for argument.

The emptiness in my chest was unbearable now and obscurity even thicker than that of the storm was rapidly encroaching upon my mind. I could barely think, but I refused to give in. <Please,> I pleaded softly, <don't let yourself be captured as well, they'll only kill us both.> Some part of me knew that Qui-Gon was too stubborn to back down once he had made up his mind, but I couldn't condemn him to this senseless death as well, couldn't die knowing that. <Go!>

When he didn't answer, I knew I had failed. Qui-Gon raised his hands and made an acquiescing gesture of surrender. When two of my captor's comrades stepped forward on either side of him, he stared straight into my eyes and allowed them each to take one of his arms and pull it back behind him. Holding him tightly in a grip that had to be painful, they forced him to kneel and one of them deftly bound his hands with electro cuffs that shown brightly in the night.

My Master turned his unwavering gaze to the man that held me, "Release him," his voice was firm, betraying none of his emotions, but when he spoke them I could feel the uncertainty that filled him. He was worried, worried that they would kill me anyway. I was worried that they would kill the both of us, that my Master's unwillingness to leave me would end his life. It was a thought I could barely manage to finish, even in the silence of my own mind.

My captor sneered, his hand pulsing hotly against my smothered skin, but after a few moments of purposefully painfully stressing moments, he drew the tip of the blade out from my skin and slowly withdrew his hand.

Sagging forward, I forced down

15. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    And the plot thickens...

16. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
    WONDERFULL WONDERFULL!!

17. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Oh nice, more!

18. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Thanks guys! :D

19. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Here's the next part - I hope you guys like it!

~ Part Five: Inexplicable Collapse ~

Obi-Wan:

The temperature had dropped substantially during the course of our conversation and even though I tried to ignore it and meditate, I could not. I was freezing. My skin was covered in large goose bumps, causing the hairs on my arms to stand on end, and my teeth were chattering. My fingers, swollen and colored slightly red-blue, were stiff and ached in protest when I clenched them into fists to help keep them warm. The very air I breathed was a foggy white when I exhaled, and the water in my tunics was frigid enough to feel like icicles.

Wrapping my arms around myself for warmth, I tried rocking back and forth slightly, but it was to no avail. Meditation would help, but I couldn't concentrate enough to initiate it. If we weren't released from this "Ice Box" soon, I was afraid that I'd suffer hypothermia. If I entered such a state, I wouldn't be able to help Qui-Gon escape should the opportunity arise.

I jumped slightly when I felt the coarse touch of something being draped over my shoulders. Opening my eyes, I saw that Qui-Gon had removed his outer cloak and was in the process of wrapping it around my huddled body, tenderly smoothing it over me. "It's wet on the outside," he whispered, "but a Master's robes are thicker than a Padawan's, and the water didn't completely soak it."

He cupped my cheek, "It will keep you warm for a little while," he smiled, and then returned to his position across from me as calmly as if he had just given me a cover on a cold night, as opposed to warmth that he needed as badly as I did.

I shook my head, "Qui-Gon, no. I can't accept this." His unwillingness to leave me behind had landed him here, but I wouldn't let him selflessly sacrifice what would keep him conscious. Relishing the warmth for only a few seconds, I quickly shrugged the robe off of me and attempted to hand it back to Qui-Gon, who calmly bore a look that plainly told me in no uncertain terms that I could hold it out to him for the rest of time and yet he still would not withdraw his offer.

"When the Tarcalian threatened to kill you, Padawan," he spoke so softly I could barely hear him, "I couldn't tell if he was bluffing, and that scared me. I did not let them capture me in order to watch you freeze."

A flood of emotions thrummed within me, manifesting as a tender ache in my heart that expanded to make my throat tighten and my breath catch. However, as much as I was grateful to Qui-Gon for what he was trying to do, I couldn't let him. Before, when the Tarcalian had held me helpless, there was little I could do. Now that I could act, I would not accept this. "I do not wish to watch you freeze either, Master."

Qui-Gon still made no move to take the robe back from me, so I let it drop between us, its warm folds of material going unused against the cold metal floor. It was silly for neither of us to take it, but I was determined that my Master would use it to preserve his warmth. He was the most skilled; it made sense for him to retain the most strength.

My Master stared at me intensely, his stubbornness shinning as clearly in his eyes as I was sure it did in mine. He was very bullheaded when he had made up his mind, and having been trained by him for five years, I had picked up the same trait. The result was a stalemate in which neither of us was willing to back down.

Finally, Qui-Gon laughed softly and moved as far back in the cage as he could. Then he shifted from kneeling to sitting cross-legged and extended his arms to me. "Come here, Padawan," he ordered, "Our combined body heat should keep us both warm for the time being."

Hesitating only momentarily, I scooted forward and crept onto my Master's lap. Then I turned around so that my back was tucked against his chest and my head was resting just under his chin. After letting me adjust my position for a few seconds, Qui-Gon closed his arms around me and drew the robe forward, spreading it out over the b

20. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Awe..nice mushy post. I really wanna find out what's up with Qui though...I hope it's soon!!

MORE!

21. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
  22. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    Hi! Thanks for your comments! I'm glad you guys like it so far and I hope you enjoy the rest of the story too! :)

23. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl

Jul 16, 2001
  24. Firedrake88

Jul 25, 2001
    ~ Part Six: Scalaris ~

Obi-Wan:

As soon as Qui-Gon regained enough of his strength, he and I went back to the shuttle to salvage our packs, the medical kit, and some food rations. By that time we still had over six hours of sunlight left and decided to start the journey to the capital city. Not being too familiar with this planet's terrain, I hadn't been sure which direction to head in, but Qui-Gon, mysteriously, seemed to know exactly where we were and had simply started walking through the forest in, what appeared to me, a completely random direction. "This way," he had said with an enigmatic smile, refusing to answer me when I asked how he knew.

Although we traveled slower than usual, due to Qui-Gon keeping a relatively calm pace so as not to bring about any other inexplicable collapses, we covered a great deal of land. It hadn't been until about three hours into our journey that my Master was left suddenly short of breath. Concerned, I had warned him not to push his luck but he refused to stop and I had eventually given up on arguing with him.

Now, however, his shortness of breath had turned into loud, grating gasps and through our bond I could feel his dizziness and disorientation. Every few minutes he stopped for a handful of seconds to calm his body, but as soon as we started walking again, his wheezing returned. Each step he took seemed heavier, harder, and I could tell, and feel, that he was losing this battle against fatigue and...whatever had caused his collapse.

Seeing how weak he truly was only served to increase my own fear for his health, which had only grown during our trek. Every breath he struggled for, every time he stumbled, had my throat and chest constricting. My heart was pumping worry through my blood and my body was stiff with my scared tension. Would this lead to another onslaught of uncontrollable pain? It had broken my heart to see him huddled up in pain, and I wouldn't let his stubbornness bring about another episode. He needed to rest and regain his strength.

Finally, I stopped and turned to him. "Qui-Gon," I implored, "you have to stop, now."

My Master shook his head, "No, we need to get as far as we can tonight. Whoever sabotaged our ship and hired the Tarcalians is still after us, and the sooner we get to the city, the better," he managed to say all of this between his gasps for breath.

Force, it sounded like my Master had just run seven Intergalactic Marathons in a row and yet he still wanted to keep going? Was he trying to provoke another attack? "I understand that," I assured him, "but if something happens, how will you be able to defend yourself if you can barely stand?"

Qui-Gon conceded my point by remaining silent and I pressed my advantage, "Exerting yourself like this could make you...collapse again."

"We don't know that physical activity will trigger another bout," he countered.

I closed my eyes and called upon the Force for patience. Was it my imagination, or was he acting more like a Padawan than a supposedly wise Master? "We don't know that it won't," I pointed out firmly.

He opened his mouth to argue but I cut him off by taking his hand into mine and finding his gaze with my own, "Master, if our places were reversed, you wouldn't let me continue. Please...stop, for me. I'm worried."

Qui-Gon must have heard the anxiousness in my voice for his face softened and, smiling slightly, he sent me waves of understanding and comfort through our bond. "Your concern gratifies me," he said softly. Then he looked around at the endless trees that surrounded us on all sides, "As soon as we come across the next clearing, we'll stop and set up camp."

I squeezed his hand and flooded our bond with my own gratitude, "Thank you."

~~~~~~~~~~

Distractedly, I stared into the crackling, constantly leaping and falling orange flames of the campfire I had made. The dancing figures hidden in the tendrils comforted my soul, just as the warm glow soothed my body.

After a little over ten mi

25. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Whoa...can anyone else say they have a bad feeling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.