main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver My Planned Agenda For The Next Six Months and an Announcement (The Countdown to ROTS begins NOW!)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TIEPilot051999, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    OK, folks. Revenge of the Sith is coming out in about six months time, and I want to set down an agenda of things I would like to do and get accomplished between now and May 19th.

â?¢ 1. Viewing Of The Star Wars Saga: This one is pretty much a given. As this is the last ever Star Wars movie, what better way to build up the anticipation than to watch the previous five? Obviously, we'll need to figure out how we want to watch them (I, II, IV, V, VI/IV, V, VI, I, II) and in what way we will do it (one from December until May, one from November until April, all five at once the weekend before ROTS opens) but I do think that this is something that would be a good way to get ourselves hyped up for watching Episode III.

â?¢ 2. Ewoks and Droids on DVD: I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but a DVD release of these two cartoons (not the entire series, sadly :( ) and the two Ewok movies is happening this month. And as I'm sure that none of us has seen them before, I figured that we could all enjoy looking at this less known facet of Star Wars lore.

â?¢ 3. Increasing Membership: One thing that bothers me is the lack of members of our little (and I stress that as far as it can be) group. This is a situation I desperately want fixed as May gets closer. I'm sure we can count on an influx of new people who will discover the boards as the 19th gets closer and closer, but I would like to see some action on the part of you guys to bring in members. I'm sure most of you know some people who like Star Wars, so give them the address of the board and tell them to sign up. And once you do that, start putting up messages around your schools and workplace. Get the message out.

â?¢ 4. Increasing Group Activity: I will not beat around the bush. The fact that Rudy organized and planned an activity without my say so or input was not something I particularly enjoyed. Neither was the fact that you guys totally spaced on my DVD Trilogy party. (Especially since you guys knew about it for two months.) But at the same time, it made me realize the biggest problem that our group faces: the fact that we don't communicate. This, I think, stems from the fact that we don't normally get a chance to talk to one another. And no, I'm not talking about talking at activities here. I'm talking about talking in general. We don't just meet up for the sake of meeting up. We don't do anything just for the sake of doing anything. We never communicate over PM's, E-Mail, and very rarely through Instant Messaging. And frankly, that bugs me. One of the things I really want to start doing is getting together on a weekly basis to hang out. We don't have to do anything that requires spending money, and we don't have to make it an "official" deal, but I would greatly enjoy it if we could get together more often.

And there is one final thing that I would like to say.

I am not going to try and sugar coat this. Being the Chapter Representative of this group has not been an enjoyable experience. And trust me, I know what you're asking yourselves right now. "If I don't like it, then why the hell did I take up the title?" Well, the answer is simple, folks. I have the title and responsibilities because none of the rest of you are able to. The rest of you are either too young, too inexperienced, and to be frank, too flighty to represent us both in the community and on the boards.

The simple fact is that both myself and Dan took it upon ourselves to make something of this place. And for the most part, we succeeded. But ever since we became official, we've seen a sharp decrease in communication and activity, both of which I have stated constantly before and have tried to attempt to fix on numerous occassions. (Right now being the latest.) This agenda serves two purposes. Not only is this agenda to serve as a list of stuff we can do over the course of the next six months, but it is going to prove to me whether or not my time and effort is best spent trying to keep this thi

2. SquallLeonhart

SquallLeonhart Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    Let me start out by saying that I was glad to see that you were back to trying to lead this fanforce...that is untl I actually read this post...After reading it all I have to say is that you are not "In Charge" of this fan club. You're the chapter rep, which isn't much more than someone who monitors the boards and relays the informaion therein to other higher ups...in other words, a glorified secretary. You're right, none of us have the time to do this, so it falls on your shoulders...but that DOES NOT give you the right to bully us around! The fact that you would post that you were hurt by Rudy organizing an event "behind your back" is incredibly childish and unprofessional, even if you did have a valid argument. Which you don't! Just because you have a title does not mean that all fanforce activities have to be cleared with you before their posted. If you hadn't noticed, this is a community, not a dictatorship. So if you're looking to be the "Captain" of anything, I think you're in the wrong place. Maybe I'm out of line saying all this, but I'm getting rather tired of having to explain that your behaviour is innapropriate. Posting like this on the board is not going to attract newcomers! As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it discouraged people. When I joined up it was just so I could post stuff about Star Wars to discuss it with other fans, not be bullied by a angry chapter rep, and I think there are some here who would agree.

3. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Wow. I cannot believe how far off base you are, Mike.

First off, I never implied that I was attempting to bully you guys. If you consider my attempts to get this place more active "bullying", I really think you're looking at the situation from a very warped perspective. Try thinking about it from my point of view for a second. Ever since I've become Chapter Rep, we've only done three activities. Now, counter that with the dozen or so failed attempts to have an activity, and that makes me look very foolish. Most other FanForces have lots of members communicating and having activities on a very regular basis. Me, I'm lucky if I can get ten posts on this board that aren't mine in a month and have a single activity every once and a while.

And yes, I was hurt when Rudy went about making his activity, but what hurt me most was the fact that both you and Phillip got on my case when I said that I didn't want to come. And to be frank, we don't nearly have enough conversation going on around here to justify your desire to "post stuff about Star Wars to discuss it with other fans". In case you haven't noticed, the first page of this board has threads dating back to August that have barely over a dozen posts. And frankly, six people aren't enough to carry on any real conversations, especially when a bulk of those people go weeks on end without posting.

Oh, and about that PM you sent, I fail to see how you can do anything to remove me from the FanForce. And quite frankly, I fail to see what that would accomplish. The place is falling apart as it is with me here, so just imagine how it would fare if I were to just up and leave.

4. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Alex, first you're not correct when you refer to my activity; it was our activity. There would have been no activity if Mike, Cassandra, and Phill hadn't come out that evening. And I'm not sure why I (or anyone) would need your "say so" to suggest a get-together, this is an open forum not your personal little e-fiefdom.

Additionally, I would question why we even need the postion of Chapter Rep (or any of those other e-status titles). I don't know about anyone else, but in my own experience with friends, we don't elect a "leader" among us to tell us what to do and how to do it. Now, I don't really care if you keep your blue colours and your fancy title, but don't even pretend to think that gives you any more rights or responsibilities than anyone else here.

Finally, as Mike put it, "When I joined up it was just so I could post stuff about Star Wars to discuss it with other fans, not be bullied by a angry chapter rep, and I think there are some here who would agree." You can count me among those who agree. Try reading your first post objectively and then ask yourself if this is the kind of person you'd like to hang out with. I suggest that you take some time to think, and gain some perspective.

5. Master_Ikrik

Master_Ikrik Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    OK, Alex i tried to apologize to you and what did you say to me "I'm not in the mood to argue with you" You put alot of input into the conversations about "The Incredibles" and frankly i would like to take back almost everything i've said on this forum, because its childish and full of stupidity. You being the captain of the ship is as farfetched as saying that Mike is George Lucas, sorry Mike. Alex you ARE the rivits that hold this ship together, without you we wouldn't be the ship, we'd be scrap metal floating around with no place to go. You're also the engine because you take us to where we should go and steer us in different places! i totally respect you Alex and Mike calling you a child is about as scary as Rudy coming at me with a butterknife, which isn't funny by the way. We are getting more activity with Omar and a couple new members but we need support, we're like a destructive cheesecake right now, we need to focus on what we do best, which i have absolutely no idea what it is. I'll admit i haven't been extremely active but i am working on changing that, don't count on it though because it will take quite a long time for me to be posting every day, or every other day. But Alex, we need your support, and Mike and you have to stop being Princess Leia and Han Solo. WORK TOGETHER!!!!!!

6. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Alex you ARE the rivits that hold this ship together, without you we wouldn't be the ship, we'd be scrap metal floating around with no place to go. You're also the engine because you take us to where we should go and steer us in different places! i totally respect you Alex and Mike calling you a child is about as scary as Rudy coming at me with a butterknife, which isn't funny by the way. We are getting more activity with Omar and a couple new members but we need support, we're like a destructive cheesecake right now, we need to focus on what we do best, which i have absolutely no idea what it is. I'll admit i haven't been extremely active but i am working on changing that, don't count on it though because it will take quite a long time for me to be posting every day, or every other day. But Alex, we need your support, and Mike and you have to stop being Princess Leia and Han Solo. WORK TOGETHER!!!!!!

You know what I find amusing about this? The fact that Phillip, the guy I half expected not to understand where I'm coming from, is the only guy who understands where it is that I am coming from.

He understands what I've been trying to tell you guys for the longest time: we work best when we're all working together on the same page. And frankly, we haven't been doing that. And that, folks, is where the bulk of my frustrations come from.

And like I said, I think that it's really amusing that this comes from Phillip, as he's the one who I suspected wouldn't get it. Mike and Rudy are the ones who I thought would get it. Instead, they seem to me to only want to complain about the situation instead of doing anything to correct it.

Like I said before, I want to try to make a difference around here. But I can't do it without support. And I, quite frankly, don't want to make the effort if I'm the only one who is going to.

7. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hardly encouraging for any lurkers who might have considered joining us here.

The suggestion to start meeting on a weekly basis is frankly, pretty far-fetched. It's going to be near impossible with everyone's schedules, and maybe we don't want to see this particular group of people every single week!

Internet chat forums are not a commitment! They are a place to meet people when time and desire permits.

The reason the few of us that are still here ARE still here is because I think we all want to make a community of this too. But if you keep beating on us for not 'contributing' more, I'm sure we'll just disappear and post somewhere else. You may not think that a loss, and that's fine, but I'm not sure how long any new people would stick around if the negativity factor doesn't improve.

8. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Hardly encouraging for any lurkers who might have considered joining us here.

In what way? I'm actually trying to encourage people to come. And all I'm asking is a little help. Is that really too much to ask?

The suggestion to start meeting on a weekly basis is frankly, pretty far-fetched. It's going to be near impossible with everyone's schedules, and maybe we don't want to see this particular group of people every single week!

In other words, you really don't want to try and make an attempt to get together more often, totally going against what it is that I'm trying to do.

Yeah. That's going to work.

Internet chat forums are not a commitment! They are a place to meet people when time and desire permits.

Well, if you ask me, we need to try and make "time and desire" permit more often.

But if you keep beating on us for not 'contributing' more, I'm sure we'll just disappear and post somewhere else.

I find that incredibly ironic because, for the longest time, it's been you that have always pressured me to do something about the negative situation around here. And I find it amusing that when I finally do, you guys get on my back about it.

9. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I think that we need to take a deep breath here gang
    and some changes are going to be required as I have had it with the unrest going on in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.