main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST My pre viewing fears hope are NOT justified.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marsekay, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marsekay

Marsekay Jedi Master star 1

Oct 2, 2005
    So, my hype for this movie has been up and down. from initial conception i was like OK I'm easy either way, then we got the first trailer and i was only a little more excited.
    Then came the force friday stuff and then i was well up for it, very much looking forward to things.
    Now i have some weird fears which are probably totally unjustified, so this is me getting these fears out, hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong :p

1: Ridley is a bit wooden. Yes i thought this before the Mayhew interview, and its ONLY from hearing a couple of lines, but something in the delivery of her lines feels weird! "I'm Rey" sounded like two 5 year olds meeting to me..

2: they would play Boyega as a black stereotype, yes i know what you think, but i was worried he would be a little "gangster" i wanted race to play NO part of his part, and for the most part i don't think this is the case. then i heard that "hell no" line... which brings me into 3

3: so hell exists in the star wars universe??? Hell no?? that line took me out of universe. not cool.

4: Maz, i don't like the look of her. i know its prejudiced. i hope I like her. i really do!

5: Han is just too old to be running about! i know, i hope its portrayed right in the movie, I've yet to be convinced!

6: Some bits look like they are filmed in my cousins garden! it doesn't look very "far far away" too clean? too colourful? I'm not sure...

7: not enough ship variety. i want more than x wing and tie, yes i know theres the falcon, and I've seen the LEGO C-wing so I'm hoping its just held back.

Anyway, thats about it. don't get me wring, I'm not letting these things get the better of me, these are just weird little feelings i've picked up. probably from the pressure of it to be REALLY good.

I reckon come the day it will be great!

Am i the only one thinking these things?

2. Deus1138

Deus1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Yes, you are the only one.

And in Empire Strikes Back, Han yells, "then I'll see you in hell." Any real Star Wars fan would know that line. The fact that you dont proves to me you're not a real fan.

3. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Yes you are.
    Sounds ultra nitpicky and like you are trying to disparage it.

Filmed in my back yard? You've seen the original trilogy right? How is this any different?

Import_Jedi likes this.
  4. Marsekay

Oct 2, 2005
    I totally forgot about that line :p so yep, my fault!

5. Marsekay

Oct 2, 2005
    not trying to nit pick, everything else looks amazing to me, the return of the sullustian pilot, the starkiller base, plasma, kylo ran, i love all of that.

And yeah, this looks too green to me, i think its the Takodana sections. It pulls me out of universe!

6. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    I think it's too early to tell if Rey and Finn will be played well but there's little evidence one way or the other. No point worrying about it until you see the film. Other than that I think your fears are unjustified based on what we've seen.

7. Marsekay

Oct 2, 2005

Oh i agree completely, i hate to judge something before i've experienced it. these are just little feelings i'm picking up from somewhere and wanted to voice them.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I've rarely met a wooden five year old. Nevermind two of them.

There are THREE instances of the word "hell" being used in the original trilogy.

Uncle Owen: "There'll be hell to pay."
    Han Solo: "What the hell are you doing?"
    Han Solo: "Then I'll see you in hell!"

"Hell no" is not a "gangster" term. It's been in use in America from at least as far back as the Civil War. Plus, there's nothing "gangster" about Boyega's delivery. At all.

I don't understand. The films have mostly given us planets that seem inhabitable by humans. Desert worlds (Tatooine, Jakku), snow-swept worlds (Hoth, Starkiller), jungles (Dagobah), rocky worlds (Geonosis) temperate worlds with grasslands (Naboo), etc. Why does a green world with forests not fit?

In short, most of your fears/ nitpicks are unjustified. Enjoy the movie! :)

Dra--- and Rabs like this.
  9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    How? There are no green places in the GFFA?

That'd be like people in Arizona rejecting Star Wars becuase Tattooine is a desert planet, and it doesn't look different enough from where they live.

Dra--- and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  10. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015

That's fine. I'm still secretly worried Snoke will be disappointing but I trust Andy and JJ to get it right.

11. SHARKY_CHOMPCHOMP

SHARKY_CHOMPCHOMP Jedi Master star 1

Feb 26, 2001
    [face_laugh]

12. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    There's a danger in labeling people not real fans for forgetting a line. The danger, in this case, is that another fan will come along and tell you that you're also not a real fan for failing to point out that there are actually three lines in the original trilogy with the word hell in it.

Uncle Owen: "There'll be hell to pay."
    Han Solo: "What the hell are you doing?"
    Han Solo: "Then I'll see you in hell!"

Instant karma. ;)

Import_Jedi, Strongbow and Rabs like this.
  14. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I love when people comment on the acting based off a few lines in the trailers that honestly seem pretty aligned with Star Wars. It's always been campy, cheesy, and fun. That's why they usually cast unknown actors.... You don't want to picture some A list celebrity in a role because all you will see is the A list celebrity. You want to picture someone who could potentially be in this universe and what comes with that is sometimes rough acting but not a bad rough a good rough.

NOTHING from the footage i've seen suggests bad acting in the least. Daisy crying over the body looks unbelievably genuine, he look staring off at the ship flying away conveys so much emotion without words, and her greeting Finn has a certain cuteness that only a person stranded on a planet never being around people could convey.

In other words, they're nailing it.

Strongbow and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  15. Marsekay

Oct 2, 2005
    Ha i won't be dragged into arguing, its all point of view anyway!
    I'm glad people are telling me I'm wrong as its reducing my fears.
    its a bit like therapy :p

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Nice to see someone open to changing their mind. It's a rare thing on the interwebz. Kudos!

Strongbow likes this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I presume you either wanted to be talked in off the ledge, or to start a fight. I'm glad it was the first! Now, back to prepping for the premeiere!

18. Deus1138

Deus1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Yes, but the Han line is one of his defining moments. I was also aware of the others, but recognize that a lot of casual fans wouldn't remember them. They just kind of happen. The Han line I gave was significant.

19. TheForceMakesCoffee

TheForceMakesCoffee Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Ugh. Can people please stop acting like "Hell no" is a stereotypical "urban" or "gangsta" expression. It's not, at all, in fact it's been used for centuries. It's not as if they had John say "OHH HELLL NAWWWW".

He just said, Hell no in a pretty convincing fashion.

Rabs and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  20. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Nah. I think it's going to be a pretty good movie.

21. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    My troll-sense is tingling.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I know. But my point was not that you're "not a real fan" for not mentioning the three instances. It was that you should avoid labeling others lest you be labeled yourself. By someone with more extreme standards than you...

Stones and glass houses, and all that.

Import_Jedi and Rabs like this.
  23. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    Lol I love how the OP keeps saying "it pulls me right out of the Star Wars universe" and then keeps having to be told what the Star Wars universe actually is.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. FirstOrder

FirstOrder Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 26, 2015

Regarding this, you have to remember that she's independent and probably doesn't have a whole lot of interaction with other folks on Jakku.

This is more than likely the first time she's spent any amount of time with someone her own age ... and someone that doesn't want to kill her!

25. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    "What the hell are you doing?" - Han to Leia in ANH

"Then I'll see you in hell!" - Han in TESB

I reckon a long life for this thread...okay, no I don't.

[​IMG]

Pfluegermeister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.