main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT My reasons for an original trilogy remake

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by skywalkerz, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalkerz

skywalkerz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2005
    Okay. I assumed that no one will be satisfied with an original trilogy reboot and realized that this topic's been debated to death even before I made this thread. But I felt like doing it anyway. These are all opinions of mine and are not to be taken too personally. So... let's get on with it.

2. Matt Sloan is a better voice actor for Darth Vader than James Earl Jones.

3. Ewan McGregor is a better actor for Obi-Wan than Alec Guinness.

4. The lightsaber effects aren't too sharp or pretty.

5. The word "Sith" was never heard in the original trilogy.

6. A more explicit version of Vader's redemption would be nice.

7. The lightsaber sound FX in the prequels sound much better.

8. I loved the opening music in the prequel trilogy.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    oh... my... god...

yeah um? the constitution also needs to be re-written with slang, ebonics and internet jargon.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_laugh] I'm all for listening to people's views/reasons why they feel the way they do especially about SW but this is just funny. Interesting 'gripes' but to me most of them seem rather trivial. Not enough to demand that the OT be re-made. It practically has been already at least 4 times with all the various tweaks in the re-issues.

I'd be game to hear why you feel those you listed are so grave of offenses that you seem to feel you can't abide them. :) I'd be equally interested to hear your reasons for feeling as though your suggestions would vastly improve the OT. I'm not attacking. [face_peace] It's just when people don't explain their reasoning, I don't follow their thinking and I am ponderous and analytical in nature. I *like* to think. Please explain your thoughts. *Settles at feet and listens*

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Once and for all we'll see who shot first.

We'll see the real Jabba the Hutt:

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/c9/DeclanMulholland_as_Jabba.jpg]

We should have a rancor in the DS garbage compactor. That'll give Chewie something to be afraid of.

YELLOW LIGHTSABERS.

When Leia finds out Luke is her brother in that scene on Endor she spits, gags, and grabs a toothbrush.

R2's bleeps and whistles will be replaced with Autralian slang. No one will understand that either without a translator.

At the battle of Endor all 25,000 SD's will be there.

13. skywalkerz

Nov 25, 2005
    It's not that I'm offended, but I thought a remake would be acceptable. You like the original trilogy better? You stick with that.

Would you feel more offended at the remake than with the Blu-Ray Complete Saga set?

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm not offended at all, I merely don't think one's needed. I have seen and owned all versions except the Blu Ray because I don't own a player and I'm rather a bit tired spending money on the same thing for such minute changes. I'd still find your reasoning quite interesting. Will you do so, please. :)

Now, if I found out that re-worked the PT to include more of Dooku, especially *Jedi Master* Dooku in PT I might well pick it up. Because I adore Dooku and think he was abysmally mishandled as was his actor in ROTS. Yet, what needs work or doesn't is completely subjective to the perception of an individual viewer. That's why I'm asking you to explain your gripes and suggestions to fix them.

I have been a advocate for Dooku and Tarkin since I've been here. Defending them in other threads why I find them worthy, cool, and just plain awesome. But an OT thread isn't the place to do that.

15. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I'd rather see a remake than constant tinkering of the originals.

Sitara, KilroyMcFadden and Heero_Yuy like this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd prefer the business stop altogether but out of the two given options, I'd consider seeing a remake. :)

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    most of the ot effects that needed tinkering got tinkered.

we need 7 8 and 9.

p.s. can i ask how old you are skywalkerz?

18. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I stopped reading after the first item.

19. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    As did I.

20. PTisgreat

PTisgreat Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2011
    Leave the OT alone, its was fine in 1983. Make Episode 7,8,9 instead of wasting time on OT changes, 3D releases, etc.

21. skywalkerz

Nov 25, 2005
    Grand moff Jawa, Starwarrior92,

If you stopped reading, all I can say is...

I don't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ahSCKmJAQY

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    James Earl Jones would sound much cooler saying that than Matt Sloan would.

23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Best thread ever. In before the lock.

24. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Wow....

Why does the Yoda line "Look I so old to such young eyes?" pop in my head reading this thread?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you'd like the Twilight actors and actress for Han, Luke, and Leia(and think they'd play them better than Harrison, Mark, and Carrie too)?

So the OT probably just looks too old compared to the shiney new PT for your young eyes, so let's reboot the OT so it'll better match, right?

Yeah, um I'll pass, thanks.

Chainmail_Jedi likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I wouldn't mind a remake, as it would change nothing on the originals themselves, but those are some funny reasons, especially the part with Matt Sloan. I respect the guy and all, but his voice sounds silly at times.

26. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    They already remade them:

Star Wars Episode IV: Star Trek (Abrams Edition)

Star Wars Episode V: Serenity

Star Wars Episode VI: Avatar

27. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Arguments of a remake aside (which would be bad), I'm taking these points one at a time.

Matt Sloan is a better voice actor for Darth Vader than James Earl Jones.

Blasphemy! I have no idea who Matt Sloan is and have never heard his voice, but I can guarantee that JEJ is better. His voice is what made Vader the iconic villain he is. This Matt Sloan guy, at the end of the day is not creating a new voice, he's imitating JEJ.

Ewan McGregor is a better actor for Obi-Wan than Alec Guinness.

This is the only point you bring up that would make for an interesting discussion. Both men are outstanding actors, and both men give outstanding performances as Obi-Wan.

The lightsaber effects aren't too sharp or pretty.

Isn't this like saying: "I don't like the color of my seat covers, I should buy a new car!"

The word "Sith" was never heard in the original trilogy.

The word Sith doesn't need to be said in the OT. And again, "My car is missing a cup holder, I should buy a new car!"

A more explicit version of Vader's redemption would be nice.
    Huh? Do you want Vader to disembowel the Emperor before tossing him into the shaft? Or do you want five minutes of exposition where we grind the movie to a halt and explain everything we just saw on screen? That's actually bad movie making. Vader's redemption is fine. What don't you understand? What still needs explaining? Every piece of information you need is there for you in the three movies. Its up to you, the viewer to piece it all together. Movies should not need to explain everything to you.

The lightsaber sound FX in the prequels sound much better.

See previous responses on this point.

I loved the opening music in the prequel trilogy.

Umm, its all the same music. There are a couple of small changes after the crawl has been read, but other then that its the same music, written by the same guy. Plus, if you were to do a remake, I doubt you'd have that John Williams writing the music. So you'd get vastly different opening music anyway.

Valairy_Scot likes this.
  28. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Wow.

No.

This hurts my brain.

29. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Sorry, but I don't see the need for a remake.

Darth-Dogfish-Head likes this.
  30. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    I'd be good with a remake actually. Because I think it would free up the people who hate the prequels to disavow them completely. They could just take their Originals and move on. It would allow people who like the Prequels to keep going and see how it shakes out this time around and they can choose what they would like.

But just for kicks...if it was happening and say the public was generally ok with it. The casting of Han Solo would become arguably the biggest casting discussion in the history of movies. Seriously. The circus that would go with that would be reason enough not to try it. And I wont even speculate who should do it.

-T

31. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    The big problem with remaking the OT is that, to make the whole effort worthwhile, you'd have to make the new version not just better, but staggeringly better. While the OT is certainly not perfect, I don't believe it could be improved to such a degree. You'd be better off getting yourself a TARDIS and going back to 1976 and telling Lucas, Huyuck, Katz, Kurtz, et. al. things like, "How about actually saying 'Sith' in the scripts, just to make it plain?" or "How about getting 20th to spring for some more stuntmen, so we can make the duels spectacular, with flips and wire work?"

Besides, one person's "better" is another person's "worse". You just can't win in a situation like that.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  32. skywalkerz

Nov 25, 2005
    Come to think of it, I pretty much agree with you. Lol

33. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.