main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA My resignation as CR of SFFF

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Hey, everyone.

First of all, let me say that I'm sorry I've been out of touch on the boards, but that's been for several reasons: 1) I've wanted to things to cool/die down, and 2) I've had to deal with lots of phone calls, paperwork, legal stuff dealing with my parents, and 3) my part-time (and only) job security may be in jeopardy, which will affect mine (and Dale's) financial future, so I apologize. I've also been spending the last month thinking carefully about how to phrase what I am about to say.

As was mentioned previously in meetings, I've been wanting to step down as CR for a while now. Real life has cast a big shadow on our family, with my dad's passing last year (along with several friends and relatives), and the emotional toll that has taken pretty much made me to decide to finally do it. However, we weren't able to have a vote a the the holiday party, and I was going to wait until the next meeting. But with some post made in December, it obviously makes it more strange, difficult and uncomfortable to do it properly without alienating, hurting, or offending people. It would have been so much easier to casually say it at a meeting (like we've done before), then to have nominations and have an election on the boards.

I PM'd Jedi_Tenken immediately after he initially got upset about a post, and I apologized for some things, and in hindsight, things Dale and I posted could have been done or phrased differently. I see that. There are things to say about Ming that make him a stand-up guy, but the way he handled things I just don't agree with. Our intention of the post was not what it was seen as, and what should have been a private matter could've been resolved by more communication between the parties involved. As a result, it just got out of hand by being made public, and in the process, mine and Dale's reputations and leadership qualities were questioned for the past month, which also resulted in the entire club having to suffer the consequences. For that, I apologize.

--------------------------

As far as elections go, here are my ideas on how I think a fair election should be:

Beginning today until 12:01 am on Jan. 31st, nominations are open for CR and Council Members. Whether you nominate yourself or not, it should be seconded by another SFFF member.

In order to participate in nominations and voting, one should meet ALL the following criteria:

1) Must have been a SFFF member as of 12:01 am Jan. 24, 2010, and had attended a SFFF meeting or event in the last year.

2) Must have posted at least once on forums or Yahoo Group in the past year.

3) One other member can vouch for knowing who you are by having met you in person.

To be fair, I will send the list of qualified members to not only the RSA's, but to the current active core members of SFFF who have been there from the beginning.

All nominees would have to be seconded and they would have to accept the nomination. After that, the voting would have to be open for one or two weeks, and I've been given the option by the RSA's that a non-local RSA, would be PM'd the votes, and after a deadline, the winner would be announced on Feb. 7, which would be my last day as CR, with the new CR taking over Feb. 8. How does this sound to everyone?

--------------------------

The last thing I want is to see this club take sides, divide, implode, or just disintegrate after all we've accomplished. We've been through a lot and have come out pretty good, considering. I still want to be a part of this club, just not in the same capacity. I'd still post occasionally and go to events, but there are things that have to come first, and for Dale and myself, that's family. I believe I've done all I can as CR for this club, and I hope that as we reach our 7th year this May, that we can only grow, and that the new CR, whoever he or she may be, can truly live up to the title - represent a chapter that continues the comraderie and friendship that is SFFF, and that we can once more be "the Fun Side of

2. docrichsgirl

docrichsgirl Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm so sorry to see you reisgn, Matt. I thought you did a good job and you have done alot for the club. I'm sad to see you stepping down.

--Joan

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I am also very sorry to see you step down as CR, but family and RL do come first, as I so well know.

You are going to be a very hard act to follow, for whoever is elected CR in your place.

You've done a great deal of good for this club!!

4. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for all the hard work you've done for the club over the years Matt. Sometimes, it's just a good idea to pass the torch and take a break :)

5. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Indeed. Thanks, Matt, for all the work you've done for the club over the years.

6. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    Thank you for all the hard work you've put into the club Matt!

I'll never forget the first day my sister and I met you at the Metreon almost five years ago. [:D]

I know the club has had it's issues (including my brother). However, I feel that we have had more "fun" as a club and we should focus on that for the future.

Take care and I hope everything works out.

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for making SFFF a team effor to make it what it is (and could be). I saw the position of CR as a means to introduce SFFF to other fans not just locally, but on the internet. Through my experience in customer relations, I think I did a pretty good job at establishing SFFF as one of the more active and visible Fan Force groups around.

Please give Rachel and the Council the same support you gave me to help keep SFFF going strong!

:D

8. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Heheh - Matt, you need to wait until Midnight tonight! You said midnight January 31st in your posts as the deadline for nominations. (I was wondering if it was you or me last night who was confused....)

*EDIT* Hum, OK - I stand corrected. I guess it says Jan 31st 12:01 am. Maybe I'm not the only one who read/remembered it wrong.

Congratulations Rachel! As for the council, Rachel may alter the deal... I guess she's entitled to do what she feels she needs to if she wants Tom to have a chance at being part of Council.

9. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Thank you SFFF for the last 5 years as your CR. Looking back at the galleries of events we've done together, I think I've done a pretty good job getting things organized and accomplished for this club. Thinking back how we started, we've all come a long way, and have lasted longer than other SW clubs, not just in the Bay Area. All along the way, I've tried to accomplish what we (including Chanel) wanted back when we started in 2003 - to have a fun club that was an integral part of the SW club community, while at the same time working in harmony with the other clubs in the SF area, and I did my best with that in mind.

As I pass the torch to the next CR, here's hoping SFFF can pull together and get through this "seven-year itch".

MTFBWY!

Happy Birthday, Chanel!

@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.