main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Respects To A Real Life Superman......

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    He may of played him in the movies but the things he did made Christopher Reeves a hero in my eyes. I remember being very young and thats all I would watch was Superman the movie. That was in but he passed away this evening sometime. My father loves to tell many stories of me and my superman obession and in a way of paying respects I wll tell a couple of those stories now.

I would become a fussy baby if Superman wasn't in the VCR player back in the 80's. Which my dad would go on to talk about how I learned to walk at 6 months just to put that movie in the vcr, which he also says I did at 6 months I was operating the VCR and knew what tape it was. Next thing he would go to tell you when I began speaking my very first words were Soupman in attempts of saying Superman. Another story my dad loves to tell is how I loved to dress up as Superman and how I had pjs and toys and even dressed up as Superman for Halloween one year.

So what all does this have to do with Chris Reeve. Well everything, he brought to life a charecter who I've always admired then he himself became a real life Superman with his fight to find a cure to help him walk again. Though it may be a more extreme approach it still something he did to make himself better. He never let it slow him down either because he always tried and fought and still worked even if it was behind the camera.

So this is Dedicated to you Christopher Reeves, a real life Superman, God Bless your family and friends.

~Sonja aka PK~

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Very nicely written. :)

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "I've always admired then he himself became a real life Superman with his fight to find a cure to help him walk again"

He truly is a great man.
    I find it truly amazing and that it speaks volumes for his character that he continues to do some exercises so that one day he can walk again.

Sadly we live in bad times and the current administration will now allow science to progress forward. If our current President had only allowed it we could be researching how to cure Chris and so many others who suffer from similar illness. We live in a current time where science is pushed away and the President would rather secure his political base then to help those who are in pain. Let Medical Research continue and people like Chris won't be confined to his chair. Millions could be free of pain and suffering.

There is an immediate thing you can do to help these people. Vote for John Kerry who is in favor of this medical research.

-Seldon

4. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

You should try reading a newspaper. If you did, you might have learned that Bush is the first president in US history to devote federal money to embryonic stem cell research. He is the only one. Did you suggest that people vote for Bush in 2000, since the Clinton Administration had gone 8 years without devoting a single penny of federal money to embryonic stem cell research? I'm betting not.

Had you read a paper, you might also have learned that stem cells can be gathered from adults as well. You may also have learned that there is no federal restriction of funding for this research.

In your extensive research on this subject that led you to such a firm grasp of the issue, did you ever take note of the fact that there are millions of dollars of private funding being devoted to embryoninc stem cell research? I would suspect you must have missed that part, or maybe you think only the government can cure disease.

To declare this a reason to vote for a Democrat when being silent for 8 years while the Democrats neglected funding entirely is disingenous at best. Sometimes you come off pretty smart, Seldon. This is not one of those times.

AYBABTU

5. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    PPOR

Bush has said over and over again that he is will research some stem cell treatment options but not all of them. That is the reason why Michael J. Fox and Chris are so opposed to Bush. He has refused to research to the highest extent while Kerry has stated that he will.

-Seldon

6. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    The problem is John Kerry can say he's for it but to actually pass a law and give more money to kill more human life would cause him to get ex-communicated from the Catholic church. Because of his stance on Abortion in a 3 day period changed. Because he was in Iowa and asked if he was for it or against it. And he said yes I'm for it, there is nothing wrong with a woman having the right to chose if she wants a child or not.

Then not 3 days later when the Catholic church got wind of this said if this is how Kerry feels about the subject then he would be ex-communicated from the church not just for that but another issue that I forget at the moment. And Kerry that exact day changes his opinion that he's against abortion and a women should embrace bringing life into this world. I'm sorry I don't think someone who can change his opinion that quickly especially because of the Church should be President. Because that means he'll take that into office with him.

So Kerry will go with whatever the Pope tells him. The thing is the President as Rhett said has openned up Stem Cell research by being the first President to give it fedreal funding. Kerry had his chances during the Clinton adminstration to do something and he did nothing. What makes you think he'll do it now? Especially destroy life when it threatens his staying in the Church? When he already flipped once doesn't mean he can't do it again for the same reason.

~PK~

7. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

What the heck do you want me to post proof of? I just filled my post full of facts and then you made some emotional plea based on what Reeve and Fox think. What they think doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reality.

Why were you not so upset over Clinton's 8-year failure to fund embryonic stem cell research? Why won't you acknowledge that Bush has pledged money for embryonic stem cell research on the existing lines of stem cells, the first president in history to do so? Why don't you acknowledge the fact that millions are spent on stem cell research at the federal level, and many millions more at the private level, for both embryonic and adult stem cells? You cite these as issues driving your opposition to Bush, and yet he is doing all the things that you say he isn't. And you fail to explain why only federal money is worth anything when it comes to embryonic stem cell research. Would private money not lead to the same cures as federal money? Do you just want more federal money thrown at it? Well that's a pretty standard idea from a liberal -- throw more money at it, regardless of whether or not research so far has actually been fruitful.

It's all well and good to have an opinion on an issue, but I would try to keep the bold assertions to issues that you actually know something about.

AYBABTU

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I take personal offense to your statement that the Pope will tell the Catholic everything he needs to do.

I'm a Catholic and I don't give a damn what the Pope says. Stop judging people by their religion it means nothing.

Rhett I meant for you to post links to articles if your going to say that Clinton is so strongly opposed to it.

In the last debate Kerry made clear what he thinks of abortions. I don't mold my mind on what the church wants. If anything I would have thought that JFK proved that a catholic is not forced to follow the Vatican and that he removed some of the old prejudice. I guess he did not and people will still attack Kerry for his religion.

We were talking about stem cells, not aborition.

-Seldon

9. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Ummm... I did not say he opposed it. I said that he maintained a ban on federal funding for embryoninc stem cell research that has spanned several presidents. Bush is the first to remove that ban.

You seem to expect me to post proof for everything that your no doubt extensive research on the subject failed to reveal, but that isn't the way it works. I am drawing from a body of knowledge acquired by reading articles and watching newscasts. It's your responsibility to educate yourself, not mine.

AYBABTU

10. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "A decision to allow broad federal funding for the research could have put Bush at odds with many cultural conservative organizations -- and key GOP leaders in the House.

Majority Leader Dick Armey and Majority Whip Tom DeLay, for example, had said they would lead an effort to block any Bush attempt to allow federal funding.

Leading Democrats, on the other hand, have vowed to press for legislative language allowing federal funding.

"To support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research is to come down on the side of hope for the millions of Americans suffering from diseases ranging from Alzheimer's to cancer to Parkinson's to diabetes," said Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-South Dakota."

CNN.com

As you can see this is not an issue of the Pope controlling Kerry but the strong conservatives tugging on the leash wrapped around Bush's neck.

-Seldon

11. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I'm not saying Seldon that all Catholics are that way. I should of been more clear, I was using it as an example of how John Kerry flipped on an issue in three days. You think he's going to do all these wonderful things but the truth is he doesn't have too. As a friend told me the other day ist protected in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights that the people running for President can lie all they want.

John Kerry could tell us that he's going to give us all lunch for free at the same time everyday where we shut everything down and not have to do a thing about it. The truth is if John Kerry has felt this strongly about Stem Cell Reserach why didn't he do anything durring the Clinton Adminstratoin when he could of got it done. But he didn't, and that John Kerry not Seldon lets the Pope and church decide where he stands on certian issues.

Granted Bush does the same but the thing is he's always felt that way period. Not done something then told well thats wrong you shouldn't do that or we won't let you break bread with us no more. No Bush has always stood and done what he believs. Kerry goes with the wind and on certian issues he lets the church change his opinion to that of the church. Again not Seldon but John Kerry. He has not stayed consistent on any issue for very long. I expect at the next debates he'll be against the war again since he was for it and before that He's VP was saying he was against it and he was for it durring the first debates. Its his record you should look at it sometime.

This man has had 20 years to do something and he really hasn't done anything. It would be diffrent if he had a Senate reccord that showed stregth and conviction instead of flakiness. I'll be honeset I was going to vote for John Edwards if he was running because at the time of the Primary's John Edwards had ideals that I agreed with, ideals that were completely diffrent from that of John Kerry and all the sudden whne he loses and John Kerry asks him to be VP, John Edwards does a flip flop, which lost my vote. I don't want a flip flopper in office period.

I know Bush stands for everything and hasn't shown weakness in his stances on anything period. Neither of the other two have shown anything of that yet. But this isn't a place for politcal debate theres a couple other threads to discuss in.

~PK~

12. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"As you can see this is not an issue of the Pope controlling Kerry but the strong conservatives tugging on the leash wrapped around Bush's neck."

Only Bush allowed federal funding for embyonic stem cell research despite the so-called leash.

Please stop, Seldon, you're starting to make me feel bad for you.

AYBABTU

13. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    That is the reason why Michael J. Fox and Chris are so opposed to Bush.

No, Fox and Reeves oppose Bush because they are (are) nutball Hollywood liberals.

This whole stem cell debate reminds me of the Social Security debate -- you've got a bunch of old people willing to destroy the young ones to extend their lives a bit.

14. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I was at the Colts game yesterday and they played the theme to Superman during a highlight reel and it was at that point I decided I should go pick up the DVDs for Superman 1 & 2...then I hear that he died on the way into work. Sad.

As far as everything else about this thread...I'm personally for stem cell research, but who has apporoved or plans on approving bills for or against it has little to no bearing on my opinions of either candidate.

15. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    You know, not to sound harsh -- and I did appreciate his portrayal of Superman -- but what's the deal with making heroes out of people who simply do what's in their best interest.

Had he dedicated his life to paralysis research before his injury, I might have had a different reaction to this, but basically all he did was fight for a cure and funding for something he was afflicted with. Not to say that's not a good thing, but certainly not what I would consider heroic.

He was a good man (though usually on the wrong side of issues), a decent actor and a role model for other quadriplegics, but a hero?

16. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"When John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk. Get up out of that wheelchair and walk again..." -- John Edwards-- 10-12-04

Wow, they didn't even wait for his body to get cold before they started wheeling it out at campaign rallies.

I know politicians make a lot of campaign promises that they never intend to keep, but this is going a bit far with it.

AYBABTU

17. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    John Kerry is a liberal's Earnest Angely.

18. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I agree with Jim in that Hollywood types are no heroes.
    At least I don't look at them as heroes, I really can't judge them because I don't know them.

I can't stand John Edwards. Everything he says is either something Kerry has said, something Moore has said or something lacking intelligence completely (not to say what Moore says is intelligent.)

Personally I think that Edwards was a poor choice. I think Kerry would have recieved better support if he put a woman on the ticket (I'm not saying Mrs. Clinton...all I'm saying is a woman.)

-Seldon

19. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Well he did call me but I told him I'm don't play well with flip flopy liberals and I was going to run in 20 years and I didn't need any blemishes on my politcal reccord. He started crying and I told him it was okay, he can't help it that I'm a Republican. And he just started sobbing even harder and told me that in grade school he wanted to be a Republican but his mother told him he would die a horrible death if he did such a thing and so he decided to join the dark side.

I just listened as he went on to tell me that he's just a momma's boy. And he always will be, and that Thearsa prefers to wear the pants in the family. *I know big shock there folks.* But alas this is what he had said and just kept crying and crying for hours. And I still told him that I have to think of myself because my happiness is what counts. And he sighed and agreed and hung up and decided he to would go for another Mamma's boy, Edwards. And alas it is my fault that he chose Edwards. Oh well Go Bush!

~PK~

20. Qui Gon Jim23

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm ready to believe you.

21. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Well I think my verision of how Edwards got chosen makes more sense then whatever they'll tell you plus I'm not going to change my story every other day, just to get good poll numbers and look good to the people.

~PK~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.