main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Saga - A Star Wars Documentary

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Master_of_Sith, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Master_of_Sith

Master_of_Sith Jedi Master

Mar 13, 2002
    My name is Adam Harris, I’m 35 years old from Australia, a huge Star Wars fan and nearly 4 years ago I was diagnosed with a brain abnormality called a cavernoma hemangioma . This was discovered the week my second child was born (October 2010) due to me suffering a massive bleed in my brain, this tumour like growth was situated deep inside near the sensory part of my brain. After 9 days I was told it was too dangerous to operate and I was discharged. I was to have consistent scans and follow-ups for the rest of my life. I still to this day have issues due to it but it is just something I have to live with.

As I lay there in my hospital bed I vowed I would show my children that you should chase your dreams. My dream was to become a film-maker due to my first cinema experience which was Star Wars Episode VI : Return of the Jedi back in late 1983. Star Wars for me (and like many others out there) became more than just a film, it became part of who I am and as corny as this sound, it saved my life as my childhood wasn’t the happiest time of my life. So after I stepped out of that hospital, I kept my promise and chased my dreams. Even though I knew how tough it would be being in a single income household trying to raise a family, but they all believed in me and what happened next was so unexpected.

I created a ‘mock teaser’ to a short film I made in late 2012 and shared it with people in the entertainment industry on social media sites like Twitter. Hundreds of people, actors, film-makers I had admired, like Media personality Katie Couric, film producer Gale Anne Hurd, the voice actors of The Clone Wars shared, commented and / or ‘retweeted’ the trailer and it helped spread the word of me chasing my dream. I even had actor David Arquette contact me and he has offered guidance to help me get started in the industry.

However I have wanted to somehow share my story and also my love for Star Wars. When Disney announced the new films I was beyond excited. Knowing that I would be able to share those ‘first’ moments with my now 5 year old son, Jack Anakin Harris (who is a huge Star Wars Fan like his dad!), that first time he experiences seeing the teaser trailer of the new film or the launch of the movie tie-in toys, the hype as it gets closer and closer and finally that first time we see the new film together. This gave me an idea.

So for my next project I have decided to make a documentary on my story and struggle as a child to turning something tragic into a chance to change my life, and at the same time also take my son on a Star Wars journey with both of us talking to people, and how Star Wars has impacted our lives. My hope is to interview not only the fans but cast and crew members from all the films (including the Ewok films) and the Clone Wars and Rebels TV series as well. I want to know what Star Wars means to them by being part of it and the legacy they wish it to leave for generations to come.

This documentary (which I have titled My Saga) is my legacy for my family and especially for the bond between myself and my son and our love for these films and that I hope one day he will pass his own Star Wars legacy to his children. There was a point in my life that I consistently lived in fear of 'is today that day I have another bleed/collapse' but it was my two loves in life that made me stronger... my family and as silly as it sounds Star Wars. I am wanting to donate all proceeds from the documentary to the Starlight Children's Foundation and the Royal Children's Hospital in Brisbane, Australia (as I spent a bit of time there as a child myself due to 2 severe asthma attacks). I just wish to share my story with the world.

I have been fortunate enough also to talk to Mr Cris Macht, director of The Force Among Us and The Force Within Us and he has offered some great and insightful guidance as I enter my own Star Wars journey.

So I have started a kickstarter campaign to seek the remaining costs for our production as we are wishing to conduct interviews in the US and UK with fans and hopefully some of the cast and crew:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73162198/my-saga-a-star-wars-documentary?ref=nav_search
    There are some great rewards on offer and we will ship them anywhere in the world (there is also 1 exclusive offer for the US fans). I urge everyone to check out the link and watch the video and read my story.

If anyone out there wishes to help or be part of this please feel free to contact me.

Thank you all for your time

MTFBWY!