main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT My son gets it!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthIshyZ, Apr 20, 2016.

1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I've shown my boys SW so many times it's not even funny. They've also played the Lego Star Wars video games. Last night, though, I decided to put in Ep III. Last night my youngest (7 yo) said to me, "So... that man who started out as that little boy became that bad man Darth Vader?" I couldn't be prouder.

A little while later, my oldest (11 yo) was asking me more about it, so I asked him, "I could give you the full story in about 20 minutes. Are you up to it?" He said he was, so I reviewed from when Anakin was "born" on Tattooine with no father to Kylo idolizing DV. He seemed to get it, too and had some of his own theories (really just being silly) about where Rey came from.

I'm raising my geek kids right!

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You must pass on what you have learned

DarthIshyZ, Lulu Mars and Dandelo like this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Congratulations! :)

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  4. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Parenting done right! =D=

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  5. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    I wouldn't exactly call Darth Vader a bad man, I would call him slightly messed up in the head. It is the fact that he didn't want to lose his girlfriend that made him do some bad things to try to become strong enough to keep her alive.

He was manipulated by Chancellor Palpatine into turning to the dark side. Anakin is not a bad person.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  6. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    He choked his own wife, murdered young children and gave orders for various other atrocities as well as amassing a considerable personal body count. Anakin is very much a bad person. There are sympathetic reasons for him becoming bad, but bad he was.

7. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Good for you!

I have been having moments like that with my girls whom are 8 and 10. More so with my 8 year old, as she seems to have taken a genuine and deeper interest in the movies. The 10 year old just sees them as action movies, and is kind of bored with them.

My 8 year old though seems to be interested in the Skywalker lineage, and why Anakin did this, Luke did that, and why Ben Solo killed his father. So it makes me proud and anxious, as I look forward to future conversations, like the true meaning about the cave scene in ESB.

And yes, even though I personally dislike TFA by leaps and bounds. I took my kids to see it. The 8 year old liked it, but again, the 10 year old was just bored with it. They don't know that I dislike TFA as much as I do, and they probably won't find out for a long time. It's still Star Wars, and it's allowed at least a little bit of bonding between me and them on something that is important to me, and that isn't pokemon, or teen titans, or princesses or dolls etc etc...

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This thread makes me happy, on a rather depressing day.

Hope to have kids one day, first and foremost, and I hope they are unabashed SW fans.

9. borgrel

borgrel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2016
    smile, thats pretty cool.

i thought that the modern generation of trekkies and starwars geeks and all the fun rivalry between them would be duplicated with avatar and ?game of thrones? maybe.
    i expected that it would be the same yet different, with more modern stories as the corner stones.

your way is better, me thinks.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Unless you've shown your kids 4-6 then 1-3 you are guilty of child abuse... [face_mischief]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Actually, I'm a fan of Machete Order. Look it up. A very logical way to get the whole thing (and not much Jar Jar).

Ezon Pin likes this.
  12. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Hmm, interesting. Although the Machete Order ruins the lightning surprise in Jedi. :emperor: Apart from that an interesting idea.

ObiWanKnowsMe and DarthIshyZ like this.
  13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Actually showing it to them in that order is the child abuse. 1-6 is the only way.

14. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Child abuse? Really?

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It certainly is. Let's treat throwing around phrases like "child abuse" like we treat casual use of the word "rape," i.e. very inappropriate in this context and potentially offensive. No more, please.

17. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Wow, sensitive stuff.

Apologies for any offensive caused guys, it was meant in a light-hearted manner [face_peace]

DarthIshyZ and heels1785 like this.
  18. borgrel

borgrel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2016
    Really?

19. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Quote removed.

Exactly - by hiding fun films about robots and space wizards from their kids, because errr...there is a kid in it and a goofy alien.[/quote]

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Why can't heartwarming threads just stay positive without going downhill?

Anyways, great post on raising a child on star wars. :)

21. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Awesome stuff........When I eventually have kids, I hope they enjoy delving into the immense Star Wars-universe as much as I did growing up.