main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Spoiler Free Review

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by stormcloud8, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    OK, at first I wasn't going to post this tonight, cause honestly I am a little confused about my thoughts on the film. Part of it is the sadness that it is all over. I won't give it an overall rating (cause I don't know what I would give yet), but let me tell you how I felt about some of the general categories:

EFFECTS: mindblowing, best I've ever seen

DIALOGUE: snappier, catchier

ACTING: Portman was light years better, Christensen also better

STORY: mostly good, but I did have one big issue with how the story progressed that is giving me a hard time

COMPLETING THE SAGA: absolutely. everyone was left where they needed to be, everything I needed explained was explained

ACTION: plenty of good action, plenty of crazy scenes

COMEDY: some funny parts, much better than PooDoo

CRYING: yes, one part did get me just a bit!

CELEBS: Carrie Fisher got a big round of applause, as did her mom who was also there

MUSIC: good, though nothing really struck me especially

AWKWARD PARTS: yes, there were a couple of scenes that didn't really work for me, but definitely fewer than I and II had.

DARKNESS: wow, I didn't think George would go quite that dark...

Would love to hear what the other charity screeners thought.

PM me if you have spoilerish questions you don't want to post.

2. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    Thanks for posting your thoughts. What charity was this for anyway?

3. Kittles93

Kittles93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    what was the general audience's reaction? also, how do you rate the other five? just want to get a sense of your views

4. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    on a scale of 1 to 10 how dark was it?

5. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    It was for the Children's Defense Fund.

The audience was very enthusiastic. At times you couldn't hear the movie cause people were cheering or laughing. It had a lot of 'wow' moments and funny moments.

I can't rank all the films tonight cause this one throws that all up in the air again. I need to see it again to watch closely. There was a lot going on and it happens very quickly.

On the dark scale...for a Star Wars film it was 10 dark. Certainly it doesn't compare to Silence of the Lambs or Seven, but it was darker than I thought George would have the guts to take it.

6. Kittles93

Apr 17, 2005
    did it bridge the gap in terms of overall "feel" from OT to PT in your eyes? to me, each has a decidedly different feel. sorry for bugging with questions...

7. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Stormcloud, if it weren't for the fact that I have no money I'd have been sitting there with you!

What theater did you see it at? Did you meet Dojotony? Why, oh why do the two guys who saw a charity screening tonight have to be from my area?

8. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    You're not bugging! I want to talk about it! I dared to cross over to the Spoiler Forum when I got back, but you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, so I've come back here.

There were definitely some 'bridge the gap' scenes.

It was at the Uptown in DC. I thought about going up to the balcony and yelling "Hey is dojotony here" but then I had a funny vision of him being with a girlfriend or friends and that maybe his star wars message board identity is best kept a secret. If the tables were turned I might have felt a little silly!

9. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    This is one of the few places on The Internets where I can read peoples' comments and not think to myself, "where did these people learn to read and write?" The other forums, sadly, do not have that distinction.

Wretched hives, indeed.

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, I posted an inquisitive review thread and it garnered about 28 replies in about 3 minutes and I could sense them getting ready to attack me before a mod closed it down.

11. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    Hey storm, I'm glad you got to see the movie! And you did it at a charity screening - man - get to see a movie you want and help people on the way. Maybe I shoulda done it like that. Oh well, I'm very curious on this huge story issue. Apparently, its changed how you perceived things if you have to watch the other movies now to get your thoughts in order. Did this change in any way affect your opinion of the film in terms of the quality? Or your like or dislike of the film? Its probably a very "duh" question I'm asking, so yeah . . . heh . . . I'm glad for you though

On the other hand, I finally watched Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love tonight.

12. Kittles93

Apr 17, 2005
    this board is very civilized indeed...one of the best i have seen....i assume the spoiler forum is more along the AICN lines?

anyways, back to the movie:

did the opening scenes grab you?

is there anything to look forward to in terms of banter between Anakin and Obi-Wan?

13. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yes, it definitely changed my view of the film. Without the story issue (and I've asked around and some don't consider it an issue, never fear spoiler free people) I might have been willing to give it like an A rating.

Also, as anyone who knows me (either in here or real life) will tell you...I am very critical and find fault quite easily. I can see how many many people will consider this to be their favorite Star Wars movie, period. If I can get past this issue, it just might be mine.

Just thinking back now...SO MANY DARK AND EVIL SCENES!!!!

Regarding the opening scene - I will need to see it many more times before I am able to take it in. So much going on.

14. oLiquidRusho

May 8, 2002
    Man, well storm, if it means anything, your non-spoiler review is the first review to make me say "Damn I want to see this movie now". Whereas the others have made me anticipate the film more, yours is the one that gets me rolling. The main reason being that - I really would like to discuss the issue if I knew what it was. Seems like a VERY interesting story development, good or bad.

From your posts, I gather people were about to get nasty on you for your thoughts over in 3SA. If so, then frankly, thats just messed. No one should get bad treatment because their views differ. Well don't let them deter your opinion! Do not let them sway your opinion, be it positive or negative!

15. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

Did it meet your expectations?

16. dojotony

dojotony Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    If the issue is what I think it is, I have to say I actually enjoy it -- at least more so than how it was before RotS. Wow that sounds cryptic.

Ha, that would have been hilarious had you shouted my name. I probably would have answered it without even thinking just because I'm used to it.

A lot of people are saying the music isn't anything special, but I found it very effective and rather well done. Subtle for the most part, but it weaves all parts of the sage into the background.

17. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Ahhh...now expectations are the tough question...with all the CRAZY reviews coming out, I think my expectations were very unreasonable, to be honest.

I don't know yet. I need to see it again, I think.

I have some issues with the film, but it most definitely FOR CERTAIN had some of the best Star Wars moments EVER.

Like the other PT movies, there are certain parts I could have done without. But I think if you had asked me 15 years ago to tell you what I thought the birth of Darth Vader and the Empire would look like, this film was EXACTLY it. Dark. Dark. Dark.

(hmmm...maybe the initial shock is wearing off, cause at this moment I am DYING to see it again...)

18. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Thanks for your reports so far Storm. Can't wait to hear more as you digest everything. I have a feeling I will be overwhelmed next week myself.

I agree with what a few of you said, DarthTickle,oLiquidRusho and Kittles93, about this forum, we speak with intelligence and handle all issues in a mature manner. That's what makes us a special board.

Me thinks I need to see ROTS quite a few times next weekend. Starting to plan on it! :D

19. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Ok, the more I chill out and start throwing off all the expectations I had, and the opinions the critics had forced on me...the more I just LOVED this movie.

It did things I totally did NOT expect and which really change things a lot, and that's hard to ponder.

In particular - I see Palpatine quite differently now than I did before.

20. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    OK, it just hit me like a sledgehammer in the side of the head...the OT really IS different now. Wow. Wow. I don't know what to think. My brain is short circuiting.

The PT is now different. Wow.

(Be back in a bit...need to bust out my red saber on KOTOR II and slaughter some innocents. Long live the Sith!!!)

21. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    :D glad to hear that. Lucky you, you were watching a wonderous Star Wars movie while I watched Lucas' hilarioulsy awful cameo on the OC!!!! lol

22. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I have that on TIVO and will deal with it in good time...

Hey all of you...HURRY UP AND SEE THE MOVIE SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT!!!!

23. oLiquidRusho

May 8, 2002
    Come May 19th, somewhere after 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, we shall talk about it indeed.

24. Aragorn_the_Elfstone

Aragorn_the_Elfstone Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    Hey, it's not my fault! I keep telling Wednesday night to get here faster. It's just not listening!

25. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Wow, a 10 on the Darkness scale. That [explitive deleted] is something I was not expecting. Ever, especially from George "I am God" Lucas...

And yes, he is my god. I have a lil shrine dedicated to The Almighty Plaid One in my office, with little candles and everything.

Well, no, not really. I'm not that obsessive about SW. Yeah, no on that too. Haven't watched anything but SW in the past 3 months...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.