main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Successor!

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Welshguy, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, you all know by now that i've handed my notice in, so it's now time to start scouting around for someone to fill my impressive shoes.

If you are interested in becoming the next Welsh CR, please post below and give a brief outline of your intentions and aspirations.

I shall then hold "Apprentice" style auditions and set you all a series of cunning tasks in order to better judge your suitability...

Either that or most votes wins. :)

2. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Damn my infernal age.
    I just want some pretty colours being the shallow person I am...

:p

3. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Why do you think I was in the position for so long?

You know you can technically have whatever colour you want, though the CR's do ask that you stick to the standard CR blue.

But since i'm quitting soon.....

4. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    When I was CR you couldn't even underline your name without some mod PMing you and telling you off. Doubt anyone will complain about a purple background - afterall, your name is still blue ;)

EDIT: Or even a bizarre luminous green background - whatever takes your fancy :p

5. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    How does my name look now?

By the way, i'm going to start a Transformers Movie thread here since no-one else seems interested on the main board.

Long live Megatron!!!

6. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    Hmm, shame you can't keep those colours. What the FFUK really needs right now is a Decepticon to keep things in order.

Yeah, how can they not be interested in Transformers :eek: I'm so disgusted I'm considering changing my birth certificate so it says Cardiff in stead of Manchester.

7. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I know, you would think that it would be perfect fodder for a bunch of sci-fi internet geeks, but they don't want to know?

Still, we'll be ahead of the game when the movie hits next summer and we can say "told you so".

8. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    Bleugh Transformers!
    I still want colours.
    Maybe I should suck up to gabe (JOKE) or someone...
    Nah, OOOH I'm nearly at 1K posts.
    Does this prove my level of undying geekiness?

9. GalvaGuy

GalvaGuy Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2006
    So when do you turn 18? Maybe you could battle some of the other posters for the CRship.

Though no-one has requested their name be put down yet, so things are a little awkward.

ODJ, Stuey, you guys interested?

10. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Oh I thought that my pm was enough to say I was interested. :p

11. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    Gah, I'm not 18 until next June.
    Guess I'll have to bump off the next mod this time next year!
    :D

12. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    I'm interested. Is living on the East coast of England a problem though?

13. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    Nooo idea. I thought the competition was going to be between odj and Stuey, whereby we'd make them do strenuous tests involving carrying muppets on their backs whilst running around a swamp.
    Or am I thinking of training up Jedi?

14. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    I wasn't going to put my name down originally, and i assumed it would be ODJ to be his Welshness's successor. While i think that ODJ would probably be the better candidate, in the spirit of competition I put myself up for consideration

Were i to achieve this role as Chapter Representative for the Greatest country on Earth i would attempt to expand our ranks.

Living in Cardiff with easy access to a few geeky amenities I would advertise our chapter to try and recruit new members and arrange for meet ups. This would include advertising in sci-fi shop windows, contacting other local groups (for example I know a few people in the Cardiff University sci-fi society which i can try and recruit).

I also think i would look good in blue, although it would probably mean either losing my Plymouth FF icon (only 3 years after PFFC shut down) or attempting to remame this chapter to fit the acronym under silent bob

Also making our presence known at all the major events in the area. If there are any conventions in the local area, existing members can meet up and then hand out flyers with a link to these boards. We can also contact organisers of such events to ask establish links where we promote their events in return for them promoting our membership

As discussed in Welshguy's film thread, i'd like to start a series of regular meet-ups (possibly in the cinema) probably on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. Ideas and locations for meet-ups would be decided by the whole chapter so as to make things as convenient as possible for everyone

A systematic, covert invasion and subsequent overthrow of all aspects of English culture would also be carried out under my guidance. I would like to recruit the experience of my predecessor to aid in this attempt

Essentially, this chapter seems to be just starting to grow, and while there are big shoes to fill (you know what they say about people with big shoes) i think the most important job Welshguy's successor could do would be to carry on being as dedicated to this board as he was. Never let it die, even if it means talking to yourself

Inspite of this post containing my manifesto, i support ODJ becoming CR more than myself so i have dug up the following dirt on myself to discredit me

1. I am actually only half Welsh, tragically my father, possibly while drunk or possbily in order to disgrace me in this campaign, married an English woman

2. While being an avid spectator, i haven't actually played rugby since i was at school

3. I did not have relations with that sheep

Thanks, and God Bless Wales

This was a paid political broadcast on behalf of the Don't Vote for Stuey, He'll Only Mess Things Up Party

15. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Best election campaign manifesto EVER!

I particularly liked the self deprecation angle. Get in before your apponents do, smart move. Very savy of you Stuey. But your right though, I think the Plymoth icon would have to go.

ODJ, your rebuttle?

16. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Wow how do I follow up such a great post as that Stuey? Thanks for making it easy mate. ;) :p

I'm not the best at speaches/statements/things so please bear with me. :)

If I was made CR I would try to organise more meets because in my opinion those are the best thing about a community such as this. From the experience of the meet in Bristol I got a good idea of what kind of meets Tim is trying to organise throught the UK.

I myself have organised a few meet ups for a different web site and they have been successful, the best thing about these meet ups in my opinion is getting to know the people you know online IRL. This would be the main thing I would focus on in meet ups such as Stuey mentioned e.g. film, bowling, social meet ups.

Obviously since we are on a SW web site conventions and such events would be the ideal situation to base a meet arround. Although these events are alot of fun they can get tiresome from walking arround the same booths for hours on end. :p I would suggest spliting the day in 2 and having half of it for the SW convention and the other half going to a pub, or bowling, or a film, or whatever.

To follow up on Stuey's 3 statements at the end I might as well post those but from my point of view. :p

1. I am actually only half Welsh, tragically my mother, possibly while drunk or possbily in order to disgrace me in this campaign, married an English man.

2. While being an avid spectator, i haven't actually played rugby since i was at school

3. I did not have sex with that sheep..... I wanted to...

17. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Like I said, i'm on your side. But you've got to earn it :p

18. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well i'm split down the middle here. Both have good arguments and good plans. Both have been honest and aplogetic about their unfortunate English heritage and both have denied having relations with sheep.

All the boxes are ticked gentlemen!

Tell you what, if all the other Welsh poster vote for who they want to be the new CR, if it's a tie, then i'll cast my deciding vote. At this early stage I don't want to infulence the outcome either way.

Does that sound ok to everyone?

19. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    You forget something though Welshguy. You are all the other Welsh posters

20. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    lol. At most times you would be right, but as it is right now we actually have quite a few memebers (well, for us anyway).

So your plan of overtaking the Welsh boards with have to wait for another time Mr Boba. I know your game young man. We won't be having any invasion by foreign posters here!

21. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    I abstain from voting.
    I'm too young anyway!

22. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Well your too young to stand, but you can certainly vote.

I hope you do anyway. My plan is that there will be enough votes for the new CR, so I don't have to be the one to chose between two such fine Welsh posters.

23. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    As for Stuey's icon being Welsh:

Pride of FanForce Cymru?

I would probably run, if it weren't for the fact that I live in England, am Scottish and only 1/16 Welsh, currently in the South Chapter, and am too young :p

24. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Pride! good shout sir!

I had the FanForce Cymru bit but couldn't think of a good P, i'm so keeping it now

Am I allowed to vote as a candidate?

If so i vote for ODJ

25. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Yes, as a Welsh poster, your entitles to vote for whoever you want.

Though a word of warning. In a recent CR election, someone did the same thing as you and it ended up costing him the election, which he wasn't too happy about. Turns out the guy he voted for didn't return the compliment and ended up winnin the election by 1 vote.

Though I would like to think that us Welsh posters are a little more civilised.

[face_plain]

Cobranaconda: That's a fairly big list of reasons why you can't stand for the Welsh CR. Still, it could be worse. You could be English. [face_mischief]

Liked your idea of a Welsh fanforce icon though. That's something I never got around too. Should be on the list of jobs for the new CR me thinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.