main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My SW drawings **UPDATED JAN. 5**

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthShona, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    An amazing drawing of probably one of ROTS' most iconic moment. And you captured the moof of it just perfectly. This drawing just IS Anakin: you wonderfully captured the look in his eyes. :cool:

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:

D**m!! I missed another thread update!! I'm really falling down on my "reply duties" in this forum... ;) :p

Your painting of Palpatine and charred-Anakin: Wow!! I can't do zip with paint of any kind, so I really admire people who can--this is a wonderful piece: rich, vibrant colors, and the postures of the characters (like wick said--"the almost paternal" attitude of the Emperor is very contradictory, just as in that scene in the film). Beautiful!

And your "Sith-eyes" Anakin is great too--such rich contrast in the pencil work. Just curious, DarthShona--what sort of paper and pencils do you use for your drawings? I'm trying very hard to get more contrast into my own work, and yours just "jumps" out, so I'm asking around, trying to learn--I think materials, as well as technique, play a part in that richness. Beautiful work once again (or should I say, twice again!? ;) )

FF

3. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Just curious, DarthShona--what sort of paper and pencils do you use for your drawings? I'm trying very hard to get more contrast into my own work, and yours just "jumps" out, so I'm asking around, trying to learn

I use just your standard pack of drawing paper, and Derwent Graphic drawing pencils (numbers 2H, 4H, HB, 2B, 4B, & 6B). For blending values, I use my trusty little tortillions. For the paintings, I use acrylic-primed canvas and Pro Art acrylic paint.

Beautiful work once again (or should I say, twice again!? )

Thanks, twice again! ;)

4. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, that's quite a range of the softer graphite. The softest I have are 3B (and I have one F, but haven't had the guts to use it yet!)--I suppose that explains the rich dark tones you get. Thanks for sharing--it's always great to learn something from the other great artists here! :D

FF

5. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    I have one F, but haven't had the guts to use it yet!

That makes two of us!! [face_laugh] 6B is the closest to the dark side that I've dared to go! ;)

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I was beginning to wonder when you were going to update again. ;)

And an excellent drawing as always, Shona! I agree that you managed to capture his facial expression quite nicely. I really like the shading going on under the nose and around the lip area. You really managed to make it "pop" out and appear three dimensional.

The only thing I see that appears off is the nose. It looks a little bit to small for his face - especially around the bottom of the nose at the nostrils. Other than that, I think you did a fine job capturing his expression. :D

7. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I love how smooth his cloak looks, especially the part up top, right above his head. Even the blending of his skin is superb. Just some great work. You can really see the likeness, and those eyes are so haunting.

Kinda funny because when I first started the actual face and had that one eye outlined (without shading) I thought to myself, "Oh crap, I've ruined it!!" but as I started adding the values to it, I thought, "OMG! This actually looks like his eye!!"

Lol, I always get that feeling with everything I do.

- Suz ^_~

8. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Darth_Shona! This is such an iconic moment in Revenge of the Sith and you've handled it so well. It's interesting watching everyone's interpretations of this moment and here's another great one to add! The eyes have been rendered wonderfully, as well your graduating tones from dark to light are quite smoothly done. Well done and hope to see more from you very soon. :D

9. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks everyone!

HanSolo29, I agree with you about the nose. For me that's always one of the harder parts to draw on a face. I almost always make it either too big or too small lol.

My favorite part about this one is that eye. I REALLY surprised myself with that.

10. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Another one down! I just finished this after 5 hours over 2 days.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/evilshona84/mustafarpainting.jpg]

I just love my trusty glitter paint! ;)

11. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    The drawing is pretty good! You certainly have a talent for drawing in you. I'm really liking the robes. :cool:

The painting previously with Anakin and Plaps is awesome!!!! It looks like an arial shot from the movie! I love the lava, and the way the red tissue in Anakin stands out is chilling. Very dark, but it really captures that moment. Very impressive. =D=

12. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    I love the lava, and the way the red tissue in Anakin stands out is chilling. Very dark, but it really captures that moment. Very impressive.

Thanks! I really wanted "Charcoal Ani" to stand out a bit, so that's why I slathered the red glitter paint over him to make it look bloody and gutsy. ;)

13. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    UP!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
    great work Shona!! ^_^ as usual, love the level of detail you put into your work! so keep it going!
    And also,you should draw a picture or a painting of "Helllloooooo" [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    ....................with M'Tarkey there as well. LOL

14. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    And also,you should draw a picture or a painting of "Helllloooooo"

LOL!!!! Actually, I probably COULD paint that!!! [face_laugh] [face_thinking]

Except I'd do it on watercolor paper instead of canvas, that way Charcoal Annie will look even MORE messed up and distorted!!!!!

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Shona, I really like your lava painting. The lava looks 'hot'. Super cool! :)

16. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks!

The lava looks 'hot'. Super cool!

Hmmmm..... isn't that kind of an oxymoron? :p

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Y'know, I thought that as I typed it. But it made me laugh, so I left it. :p :)

18. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I always miss cool stuff on this forum...

That lava painting is excellent! Great range of warm colours... it definitely looks like a hellish place. How big is that convas?

19. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    It's 8 x 10" . :)

20. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Very nice job, Shona, as always! =D= =D= I have to agree with T_F as that picture of Anakin was very well done. Also, I agree with wicktone as far as the colors used in your painting. Nice job all around! :)

21. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks. :)

When I first started doing the lava river at the bottom, I originally had some of the brownish-black land mixed in with it, but it just didn't look right. So I put some white paint over it and smoothed it out with my palet knife so it'd be even, then I painted over it with the reds and oranges.

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's been ages since I looked through your thread, don't know why I keep missing it. You've got some great pictures, I especially like your graphite work, but your paintings are coming along great as well. Always scary to go from controllable graphite to the panic of paint, but you look like you're going to do fine. Excellent work.

23. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks.

I finally got started drawing 'Darth "NOOOOOOOOOO!"' earlier tonight, and I've got it all outlined except for Palpy and the designs on the floor. I should get those done tomorrow and then get to the shading. So far, it looks great! :)

24. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Okay, here he is!

[image=http://www.geocities.com/evilshona84/darth-noooooo.jpg]

The floor is mostly improvised; the pic I had didn't show a whole lot of it because of the mangled droids scattered all over the place lol.

Also, I don't know if any of you notice this, but there should be five of the black rectangles on the side of the table; I originally drew it too big, so I had to shorten it by one level to make it look like Vader had taken a couple steps away from it. ;)

25. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Man, I am on a bigtime drawing spurt! 8-}

I just finished this one. The inside cover of "Vader the Ultimate Guide."

[image=http://www.geocities.com/evilshona84/pensive.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.