main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY My take on Episode I and II

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by --SithLord--, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --SithLord--

--SithLord-- Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    Before Episode I was released, I really didn't know what to expect. I kept up with all the news and insider stuff, but how the movie would play out was still a mystery. After standing in line overnight and getting tickets for the movie, I was hyped more than ever about revisiting the world that Star Wars created for me when I was young. The morning of opening day, I was pumped. I was ready. Before the movie, I didn't really know what to expect. After the movie, I didn't really know what to think.

I think the reason for the heavy criticism of Episode I was because it was held up against movie greatness. (the first 3). As a film by itself, not held up against the others, it is still a good film. It's just not great in comparison. I can admit that I was a little let down, but I wasn't as angry as some fans. There were some aspects of the movie that I think it could have done without or less of, though:

Jar Jar Binks. Enough said, because I know all of you have heard it a million times. If his character was toned down and not made as much of a factor, then his character would have been much less annoying.

The pod race. I thought it was a great concept, and the delivery was excellent, but it was too long.

The movie was kind if Disneyish.

Character depth.

Anakin's space combat scene. The way it was done was way to kiddish. He just "happened" to get in the ship and start destroying stuff.

There are other aspects of the movie that could have been done better, but, it's STAR WARS! Why over criticise it? I don't think that Lucas has lost his edge like some say. I think he was trying to connect with the kids with the first installment, and whether we like it or not, it is HIS vision.

Episode I is a movie that is made to set up what there is to come. People have to view it as a small part of a big story. And this movie was good enough to keep the Star Wars fans waiting for the next chapter. Some excellent things about Episode I:

Special effects. ILM is on top of their game. No other movie, in my opinion, tops TPM as far as CGI effects. None, hands down. This movie was groundbreaking as far as that goes.

The final battle between Obi Wan / Qui Gon and Darth Maul was EXCELLENT. Enough said.

Darth Maul. This was a perfect character to open the saga with. Incorporating martial arts into sabre battles was a great thing. Ray Park was awesome.

The mystery. The way the movie closes definately makes me pumped for Episode II. It makes you wonder how Anakin will be seduced to the dark side. And the whole Darth Sidious / Palpatine thing adds more mystery.

I am definately ready for AOTC. Many are saying that it is more geared towards an older audience, and from what I have seen, my hopes are great with this one. aintitcoolnews.com has a rough cut review by Harry Knowles. If this movie is partially as good as what he is saying, AOTC will be phoenominal. I have seen a lot of characters from it, and what I have seen looks good.

What do you all think?

2. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I almost totally agree with your post. After all the hype, all the waiting, and everything leading up to it, I knew full well that there was absolutely no movie Lucas could have made that would live up to all the expectations. When I walked out of the theater after the midnight showing of TPM, I was both excited that SW was finally back on the big screen, but also a bit disappointed.

I think your comment that Episode I was too "Disneyish" is probably the best assesment of the film I've ever heard. I completely agree with it.

For me personally, ever since Lucas announced he was doing the prequels I've maintained that the film (of all six) that I'm probably going to enjoy the most is Episode III. Mostly because I want to see the fall of the Jedi and the rise of the Empire, especially Vader, who has always been my favorite character. I have higher hopes for AOTC than I did for TPM because it's getting such good advance reviews and because the storyline is now beginning to focus on the stuff I've personally always wanted to see (Anakin's fall).

3. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I think Episode II is going to blow many people away. I agree that Ep I could have been stronger, but I made sure not to get my hopes up. I think it will seem alot better when put in perspective with Epidodes II and III. Of all the films (classic trilogy included)Episode I had to serve as the introduction and kind of set up everything for what was to come.

Yeah, less of Jar Jar would have been good, but actually, if Jar Jar hadn't been such an idiot he might have worked. I didn't mind the rest of the Gungans, and if Jar Jar had just been clumsy and not so childish he would have worked alot better. I also think the great one should have stuck to his original idea and made Anakin a little older. 12 would have been alot more believable in both the podrace and the space battle.

I can't wait for Attack of the Clones! I'm already feeling the excitement!

4. --SithLord--

--SithLord-- Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2002
    I am ready as well. DrkFather, I agree that Anakin should have been older. An older kid would have fit the role much better. Unicran, I too have much higher hopes for AOTC.

5. sabe-oola

sabe-oola Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2002
    I dont know, some of the time I absolutely love TPM, but some of the time , I don't .

And I totally agree with you Sithlord, you expressed my sentiments exactly!
    Here was the one thing I disliked about TPM:

Jake Lloyd's performance-

It was not what I would expect to see for a child gifted and wise beyond his years, he seemed to immature, Anakin was supposed to be a "prodigy" believable as a mechanic, skilled podracer,and inventor. it coincides with what you all were saying about his needing to be older. I just didn't buy the fact that he was intelligent enough to do or much less think half the things he did..............
    Besides that, I loVed the movie, no matter what it is a Star Wars film ,and I can't help but love it and I do watch it as much as the other movies, it's a nice for a change sometimes............

EPISODE 2 ,on the other hand, is definitely going to be awesome, I know I can't bear the wait any longer........................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.