main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My Thrawn and Chiss art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Inwe_Galathil, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inwe_Galathil

Inwe_Galathil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 2005
    I felt like torturing Grand Admiral Thrawn, lol. [face_devil] Btw, its supposed to be read in the traditional right to left. :)

Therapy Pt 1

Therapy Pt 2

Not the funniest thing in the world, but I was mostly working on facial expressions, eyes, and lips, the feel, than on humor. Faces to be more precise. Does some of it look like normal manga or even somewhat resemble Japanese manga? Any tips to help me become more authentic would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT: Question: I didn't update my art for awhile and later on couldn't find it in the fan-art gallery. It was removed? If so I'll make sure to update more often.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Inwe, and welcome back to the forum! Sometimes threads that sit inactive too long "go away," so if you couldn't find your previous thread, it's fine to start a new one!

These are very close to what I see as anime or Manga, but I don't see a lot of it, so might not be a good measure. The expressions look pretty good to me, though with some of them, going a "bit more" with the brows or mouths might help. I laughed at the idea of Thrawn having to do therapy because of nightmares about "fangirls," lol! I think most of the characters in the SW universe would need that, too! [face_laugh] My only suggestion might be to consult some of the many Manga books available out there for reference--you could also visit this site, which has some wonderful tutorials for Manga type drawing (some can be used as general references for any type of drawing, too!). Glad to have you "back in the fold," so to speak!

FF

3. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Domo arigato gozaimosu! (Thank you very much)

I'm the type of person who tends to give up really, really easily. But if I keep going I know I'll be able to achieve my goal of rewriting one of my Star Wars fanfics as a manga. I know it won't get me anywhere in life, but at least I can practice on someone else's characters before making up my own.

Thank you so much for sending me the link to that site. I looked at it and that's what I desperately need at the moment. I'll try to stick around here.

4. Ryuuri-chan

Ryuuri-chan Jedi Master star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    don't give up !!! You're on your way. Keep praticing! if you need any help just ask. I draw anime /manga myself so I'll help you as much as I can.

Ry

5. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks! :) I'll remember.

6. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
  7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    ROTFL!!! Grand Admiral Thrawn, of the art studies and starched white uniform, a metal rocker!! [face_laugh][face_laugh]=D= Oh, lord--what a great guffaw I got from that! Wonderful pose, Inwe--sort of looking at his spiffy new "duds" and grinning madly! Great update!

FF

8. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Thank you! :D This whole pic was actually an accident--I was practicing side facial profiles and then it quickly evolved into GAT in goth/punk clothes, lol.

9. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    It's hard to draw manga at the beginning, but I advice you to first copy manga characters you see, then try to draw them without the model. It's a good way to improve.

10. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    That's a great idea! What would make that easy is the fact I have seven manga volumes of Fruits Basket that would be really useful for that. The only reason I haven't done that a lot is because when I get on the computer I get so lazy. ^_^;

11. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Yet another drawing. This could be Thrawn or just a random Chiss. I have a colored version as well, but this version is much better.

Thrawn Ver.1

Here's Thrawn (or Flim) JTHM-ified

I'll color that one later, btw. It's too Nny-ish at the moment.

That's all the updates I have at the moment. There will be a flood of them soon.

All right, so here's the colored version of the first image. It's not quite done yet:

Thrawn Ver.2

I still have to shade and fix it up so that it looks smoother. He almost reminds me of Kuchiki Byakuya from BLEACH.

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Inwe wrote: "The only reason I haven't done that a lot is because when I get on the computer I get so lazy."

:p Don't we all...? ;)

Try this: make one hour of your afternoon the time to practice sketching (for this sort of thing I like to use a big, cheap newsprint tablet and a soft graphite pencil, but if you have a Wacom, it would work as well)--have everything out and ready each time, and just sit down and sketch. Don't go more than one hour (unless the "muse" is upon you and you just feel like it--then go ahead!), but make sure you spend at least an hour. Draw random things--faces, hands, full figures. Practice of this sort can be very helpful--I do it a lot!

The "random Chiss" is very good, although I think you might want to use a different color for the background: his uniform, being black as well, sort of disappears, and we lose his outline. Perhaps a gradation of color behind him (lighter to darker) would work to keep him more visible...? I know you're not done with it yet, so these are of course just suggestions for the WIP. I like the way you sort of "mess up" their hair--it's rather rakish, and gives them a more mysterious quality! ;) Glad to see you posting again, Inwe!

FF

13. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks! And thanks for the advice! I was thinking along the same lines, but again--laziness rules, unfortunately. At least, now, though, I don't have an excuse to be lazy. I have supplies now. Paper, mechanical pencils, special gel pens, ink. And I find that my art actually seems to be improving ever so slightly.

Here's another pic I did (Did this today, so it's a little sketchy). I'm in the process of working on it to make it more viewable. It's of Kurosaki Ichigo from BLEACH (an anime/manga from Japan. For more information clickie this link) posing with Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Ichigo and Thrawn

I think these two would end up being close to friends if they lived in the same dimension. Ichigo wants to protect everyone against Hollows, and Thrawn wants to unite and protect everyone against alien invaders.

Edit: Ichigo doesn't look quite right, but that's because I'm not used to drawing him. :)

14. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
  15. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    This is a Morgriv. Morgrivs are spirits of the Chiss I made up in the Clone. I was heavily influenced by the Hollows from BLEACH when I drew and inked this, btw. Anyway, because Chiss are so far out in the Unknown Regions and the fact very few become Jedi, I decided to make it so that their spirits were different from those of other species. But, while being different, their lifeforce works inside the Force while also operating outside.

According to my own imagination, when a Chiss warrior dies legend has it that his soul takes on the form of a draconic being and he stations himself around the outer edges of the Unknown Regions, guarding his people from harm. Normally, this is a good thing.

But, there are some Chiss (like Thrawn, for example) who have died and their souls are heavy with regrets or sorrow. Death should give release or peace from such things, but sometimes grief and regret can be too heavy. The soul becomes heavy and is partially visible to the naked eye. At this stage the Morgriv roots itself to a certain area and drains the midichlorians out of living things like an invisible leech, causing death and destruction wherever it goes.

Seeing a Morgriv is considered bad luck because it means certain death.

Morgriv

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    LOL, I like the drawing of Thrawn and Ichigo--it almost looks like we should be seeing the infamous "V"-d fingers there behind Thrawn's head! Great mood in this one! Very nice coloring on your Nny-Thrawn (those gel pens really are vivid, aren't they?)--and the Morgriv really reminds me of the old Japanese silk paintings depicting dragons (and I love dragons of all sorts, so like this very much!)--there's so much grace and detailing in this, it's quite beautiful. The description of this wraith is rather grim, but the image is still beautiful!

FF

17. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Thanks! :D Oh, and that image DID have the "V"-d fingers--the scanner cut that out. :( Actually, I didn't use gel pens on the Nny-Thrawn. The coloring was entirely done painstakingly on the computer.

I admit I was really influenced by Japan in general when doing the Morgriv, lol. :D

That reminds me--lately, I've been busy practicing my manga. And yesterday and today I remembered to spend an hour practicing online as you advised.
    Here's the first page of the doujinshi "the Clone" which is based moderately off of my fanfiction by the same name. Btw, the people talking together is Luke and Mara Jade. The first person talking is Luke and the manga is red from right to left in traditional Japanese style. If you haven't read any manga that originates from Japan you may be a bit confused.

Because the Force.net has stricter guidelines on what is appropriate for fanart I blurred the nudity. Even though the breasts are covered with hair, I felt it wasn't enough. So, to be safe I smeared it (besides she's floating in liquids and the smearing gave a nice watery effect).
    [link=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Annitar/CloneDoujinshi2.jpg]Clone[/link]

Edit: Somehow, that link isn't working at all. And I've noticed my other links aren't working either. :(

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    "And yesterday and today I remembered to spend an hour practicing online as you advised."

Good for you! =D= Making the commitment to practice is a great one, and you're doing it for yourself, so it's even better! Good for you! Remember, though: the practice should also include your sketch pad and pencils, and not just the computer! ;)

If you're ever not sure about the appropriate-ness of a piece for posting, never hesitate to run it by our wonderful moderator HanSolo29 via PM first--that way there's never a question. Thanks for the advice on reading Japanese-style manga--I would have been lost for sure! The face looks quite nice, what we see of it--with her bangs hanging over her eyes, it's only the lower portion of the face we're seeing. I'm a bit fuzzy on the last image at the bottom, though--is that a wave of water...? It's a little hard to tell, but to me that's what it appears to be. Are you going to be cleaning up and inking/coloring this, and is it part of a larger work? Comics seem like such huge undertakings--I have enough trouble generating a drawing every month or so, lol--I can't imagine trying to do a complete comic!

Keep up with the practicing, and we'll be looking forward to more!

FF

19. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    It's actually a short manga. Like, it's probably consisting of only the first chapter of my fanfiction. I'm still really working with Japanese manga. Or, I'm TRYING to work with Japanese manga. It's better than it used to be (the first comic was horrendous) anyway. I feel somewhat guilty at the moment that EVERYTHING I've put up has something to do with Thrawn and not any of the major characters.

I'll remember to PM next time. The next piece is a bit more risque and I had to smear and blur it as well. I actually have it ready to put up. I just need to ask about it.

Oh, that's actually supposed to be hair, btw. :D

20. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Here's the next part of the Clone. Expect the next one to be up in about a week or so. Or, at least by Tuesday.

The Clone Title

Edit: I recently completed working on a picture I worked on for a handful of hours. I used ballpoint pen, scanned it, then retouched it up on PSP. I'm SO proud of it! :D

The Chiss is supposed to be Chorv'elk'ornou from the Clone (my OC) but Velkor is a much more docile, wistful, and dreamy character. So I don't know who it is, really.

Warning: Some blood.

Renegade Chiss

21. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
  22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Inwe--nice work on the new pieces! The "Renegade Chiss" is a little grisly, but no more so than some other pieces I've seen. His expression is very fierce and intense, and the situation of course adds to that feeling as well. The background is very interesting, too--it looks like an interior wall of a starship or something like that. One thing I will mention is that the face seems "skewed:" the center of the forehead and the center of the chin don't line up vertically. It can be much easier to spot this sort of error if, when you get the head/face roughed out, you turn the entire paper upside down and look at it again--from this unfamiliar perspective, it'll be much easier to see if the head/face is properly aligned. Another technique is to hold the paper up in front of a mirror and study it (or just upload it into your editing program and flip it--same effect)--any time you alter the way you look at a drawing, it will "freshen" your eye and allow you to spot errors in proportion/perspective.

The Thrawn/Ichigo piece is coming along well--Thrawn's mad grin here still makes me laugh! Just the absurdity of it--I don't think I recall ever reading that the stoic Grand Admiral ever smiled spontaneously--it was always a calculating sort of smile, and one I interpreted as a sort of mocking of the witness to that smile... So this is still a fun piece!

FF

23. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004

24. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Thank you for the advice Falcon! Honestly I didn't realize the head was skewed until you mentioned it and I looked again. *sigh* Oh well. I'm still learning. I'll have to remember that tip. :D And thank you academygrad88! Your story sounds very interesting, btw. :)
    My fanfic can be read right here: The Clone

Here's the third part of my little doujinshi. This time I tried to make it look more "official" (I still need practice. After reading your comment Falcon I realized Velkor's head is skewed).

To explain what's going on in this piece the other clone was found that Luke and Mara had killed (hence the skeleton floating in the pool of water in the bottom left corner of the page). Velkor, my OC reminiscences on the seemingly hopelessness of the situation as the clone is being buried in Nirauan's soil.

Unlike the other page, this one is read left to right because I forgot to make it like traditional Japanese manga instead of a normal comic. Sorry about that.

Clone Pg 3

25. Inwe_Galathil

Jan 28, 2005
    Risa Nuruodo

This is the mother of Mitth'raw'nuruodo and Mitth'ras'safis who appears in my fanfic Unwanted and in the stories I plan to write. She is psychologically abusive to her sons, of which she had planned to abort both of them when they were in her uterus and each time was tricked into going full term.

She's a bitter, bitter character whose goal is to be recognized by the Nine Ruling Families. She believes her sons are holding her back in life. She holds a certain jealousy for her sons who became merit adoptives of the Eighth Family.

Her method of discipline was to lock them in a dark, sound proof room where they would remain for a day or so. Even if the crime was very, very slight, it was an excuse to get them "out of her way" so to speak. In her cunning manipulative mind, she managed to turn one of Thrawn's closest friends against him.

Taking comfort in each other through their hardships in life, the Mitth brothers became all the more stronger for the trials ahead of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.