main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My thread is gone, what happened?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Whimper, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    To Whom It May Concern:

I've been away from the JC for a few months, but I check in every once in awhile. Recently, I was reading through some threads from earlier this year, and I found that one of my bookmarks has turned into a dead-link. It says the topic may have been moved or deleted, but I don't see why this would have happened now. It had enough replies and was recent enough to ensure it wouldn't be pruned, and yet nobody ever PMed me regarding it's content or anything.

Here is a link to the original (now vanished) thread:

Is it wrong for me, as a teacher, to have sex with a student?

Thread locking is one thing, but has it become policy to delete old threads on a whim? Or is this a board glitch?

If someone knows something, could they please tell me?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    How long ago was it? It may have been auto-deleted.

3. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    The thread was from this spring. Early May, or so, I'm thinking.

4. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Well, there was a lot of board errors while you were gone; that could have something to do with it too.

5. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    Well, if i'm not mistaken, the thread pruning function was turned off in YJJC... So either a mod deleted your thread, or an error is to blame.

6. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    Have lots of people had threads deleted due to errors lately? That sounds kind of scary, if you ask me.

7. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep, we had some really bad errors over the summer. The JC was completely down several times. Gandy had to press the big red button a few times too.

8. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It wouldn't be the first time, either. We lost some big threads before - the first Basher's Sanctuary in the TPM forum (all 8,000+ posts) and the TPMDF got whacked about a year and a half ago because of board problems.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And in some forums (Don't know if JCC is one of them) mods will go through some of the way back pages form a few months ago and delet some of the older, locked threads. Could be what happened.

10. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    a bunch of threads fell off the edges this year..... [face_plain] :( :_|

11. Whimper

May 11, 1999
    mods will go through some of the way back pages form a few months ago and delet some of the older, locked threads

Why would this need to happen? It can't be an issue of server space- this place is huge. It can't be an issue of content, because these threads can do no harm once they've been locked. They can't be upped again, for instance.

So why go and delete stuff? It makes no sense to me. [face_plain]

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Helps tidy up in some forums. I do that for the Senate, and have since I was promoted. However, it's pretty much always threads at the bottom of the first page (locked ones that didn't make it past 10-15 posts for the most part), or at the beginning of the second page. In the JCC, I think the short-lived, locked threads eventually cluster together, and deleting them can help keep things a little more streamlined.

However, as I recall, your thread was several pages long, and I know I wouldn't have deleted it under any circumstances. I don't think many other moderators would either. A system error might have deleted it, as we've had many of those in the past that have deleted entire threads.

13. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    We delete older locked threads in 3SA, too. Just keeps things neat. We have to lock so many threads that if we didn't delete them after a bit, the back pages would be nothing but locked threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.