main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Views on God

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by triggerfinger, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triggerfinger

triggerfinger Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    i believe that all major religions all are the same. this view was discussed in the movie Dogma (kevin smith is a genius) that having a set of rules is the only way to worship God. Take the Muslims for example, i believe that Allah and God are one and the same. we just worship him differently. i dont believe in the belief structure. i believe in only believing in God, Jesus, and Heaven, and the Purgotory(sp?). all the rest should be ideas. with ideas, you can change an idea, but with a belief structure, people die needlessly defending belief. i chose to worship God like a Christian (Catholic to be more precise), but not always. see, i believe that Jesus had siblings. the Bible skips a lot of Jesus' life. it goes from age 12 to age 24. come on, do you really expect Mary and Joseph to stay together that long without getting busy? i believe that Mary was only a virgin to have Jesus. I also believe that Jesus was black. I got that theory from where he came from. in Israel, at that time, everyone was black.

p.s. - please, no flaming.

2. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    This sounds alot like the plot from Dogma.

-Mulacki

3. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Excuse my ignorance of the Catholic Church, but does not your version of the Bible include books James and Jude? Both of these books writers were brothers of Christ.

4. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    I also believe there are many paths to God. I don't understand why we spend time beating each other over the head with who's way is 'best', much less 'right'.

Choose the one that works best for you in creating an ongoing and strong relationship with God, and get on with it. :)

5. EvilEmperorJohn

EvilEmperorJohn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2002
    Here's a link explaining the Catholic view on Jesus' siblings/family relations:

Click Here.

Having been a Religious Studies major, I have studies most of the world religions (to some depth or another). I don't think they're all the same God, because if they were, they'd all show the same attributes to all the different people. But, what you get in the three religions of the Book (Christianity [as portrayed in the New Testament], Islam, and Judaism) is 3 different portraits of God. As I see it, Christianity (at its core) differs drastically because it is the only one of the three that teaches its followers to respect and care for all human beings. The other two have many instances where it's ok to disrespect or be violent toward those of different beliefs. Of course, Allah and Y*w*h show love an compassion and other good attributes, but Christianity is the only one that shows a God of love, forgiveness, compassion, understanding, and integration. After all, the stories of Jesus talking to people that even his disciples wouldn't go near give great testament to God.

I see very different pictures of God in just these three religions. I'm not going to say that I KNOW which is the right way, cause I don't. But I do believe that one of them is the one way.

The real problem here is the institution of religion as opposed to the practice of religion. Institutions give us rules and doctrines and tradition that sometimes contradict or ignore the original text or oral teachings of the practice of a religion. Religious institutions are dangerous things when the heads of those institutions hold power over many believers and can move them to whatever action they want. I don't think that's what God had in mind (not that I would KNOW what God is thinking, but it seems unlikely that He would want any of his people led astray by power hungry egomaniacs who lead them!

Maybe it doesn't matter, in the end, what religion we belong to or what doctrines we hold to, but just that we love God and each other and treat both accordingly.

Just my two cents or with this much text, it should be five cents. Any thoughts?

6. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    The other two have many instances where it's ok to disrespect or be violent toward those of different beliefs.

Well, in the OT for sure there are parts where God tells the Israelites to destroy the pagans in their midst. I can understand the reasoning behind this, but it is ancient history and as far as modern Judaism is concerned, there is no rabbinical interpretation that involves doing such a thing in this day and age. One can defend oneself against aggression by violent means, if necessary. One is not commanded to 'love thine enemy' (nor is there one to 'hate thine enemy' as is often misinterpreted) but to simply resist him.

But in Judaism as in Christianity, the bottom line is tolerance and compassion for others. This is where the legend of Hillel's teaching is crystal clear: A gentile, hoping to ridicule Judaism, approached Hillel and told him he would convert to Judasim if Hillel could teach him the entire Torah while the gentile stood on one leg. Hillel said of course. The gentile lifted one leg, and Hillel said "What is hateful to you, do not do unto others. Everything else is commentary. Now go and study."

7. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
  8. EvilEmperorJohn

EvilEmperorJohn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2002
    Thanks for the clarification TeeBee. I find that a great many lives have been lost (over the course of history) because of misinterpretations. Your story is poignant and illustrates a universal truth of both Judaism and Christianity (Islam, I don't know): the golden rule - "don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you"/"do to others what you would want them to do to you." It would seem to be the perfect edict for a peaceful and prosperous society. If only . . .

9. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    I pretty sure it applies to Islam as well. It is first mentioned in the OT (Leviticus, I believe), although it is sometimes mistakenly attributed exclusively to Jesus' teachings. But I am not familiar enough with the Koran to know if they include anything from Leviticus or where it might be if not.

I plan to buy a copy of it soon as I would like to understand better ALL three branches of this tree.

10. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    So Kevin Smith is an authority on religion now? errmm...ok.

11. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I think Kevin Smith knows more about it than 1,000 Catholic priests. :D

12. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    What if Jesus had children?

13. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Why can't all the religions just get along? :(

14. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Why can't all the religions just get along?

Because each religion believes their God(s) has a bigger invisible dick than the others' God(s).

15. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    What religion is Kevin Smith.? Smithism?

16. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Okay, I won't pretend I'm an expert on religion.

In fact I am the stupidest person I know when it comes to the Bible etc.

I say that all the religions should just get along and and stop killing each other for maybeone sentance in their holy works that is different.

Just remember that we're all friends here

17. Taz_Jinn

Taz_Jinn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Are these views on God or on religion?

Because last I checked God created man and man created religion...

**personal opining**

and the fall of man is the fact that he worships religion and not God.....

Now back to my regain of terror on this thread.....

1. the comment about ever religion not getting along because they believe their 'god' is bigger and badder.... well I hate to tell you that is soooo moronic!!!!

Hello wake up! Jew, Catholic,Baptist,Methodist,Lutheran, etc (and the list goes on) all have the same God. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. We just have our different takes on the Bible...

Now off of religion and on to God, which is whom this topic is supposed to be about....

Have you people never read Job? Your take on God doesn't matter! Hello who are you to judge the on who created you and everything else? Even if you could put him on trial the words wouldn't be able to come out of your mouth, just being in his presence would humble you.
    Come on seriously do you people think these scenarios through to the end?

18. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Taz_Jinn:

Calm down, we all have our own opinion and we shouldn't dimiss others because they sound 'moronic' to us.

Remember that we're all friends here, as I said earlier

19. Master_Kip_Duron

Master_Kip_Duron Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    A freind of mine once said something that i found really interesting, he said "Do you beleive in God? Yes, good. Do you beleive that he raised his only begotten son Jesus Christ from the dead? Yes, good, everything else is just extra credit." Now i dont think this is entirely accurate, but he has a point, religions are man made rules used to control your life through God, when in reality God only really wants you to beleive in him and love him and realize that he sent his only begotten son to die and be raised from the dead for you.

20. Adelaide

Adelaide Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Responding to Kip^

Yay. :D This is a point on which kids take the cake! (not sure if I worded that the way I wanted, tho...)

21. Master_Kip_Duron

Aug 14, 2002
    thank you, but i am by no means a kid.

22. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Just out of curiosity, where do Hindus and Buddhists fall in this "We all believe in the same God" deal?

23. Master_Kip_Duron

Aug 14, 2002
    Did i miss something, when was that said?

Edit: Nevermind, i see it.

24. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    In triggerfinger's initial post he said: "Take the Muslims for example, i believe that Allah and God are one and the same. we just worship him differently". I'm wondering if Brahma and God are also the same.

Edit - I suppose Brahma is closer to the Christian version of God.

25. Adelaide

Adelaide Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    Oh...uhmm..sry there @ Kip. :p I'm just remembering a whole buncha things I read about kids having it easier than adults, even in their beliefs... :eek:
    Like with Jesus and the little children, and something I read in a book that talked about a girl's "childish faith"

If anyone has heard about the Chronicles of Narnia, this is mostly to them: I think that saying Allah and God are the same.....is, uh, the same as saying that Tash and Aslan are the same. Tashlan? Imagine, Allod?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.