main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

My Views on God

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by triggerfinger, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kip_Duron

Master_Kip_Duron Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    I understand what you are saying, it is easier for children to have absolute faith, because they have not been put out into the world, they do not have all the doubts that adults have, even though we like to think we can have absolute faith, it is much harder because we have to get over our old man nature first. If a child has been brought up in the Word then they know nothing else and therefore it is much easier for them to have faith.

2. Adelaide

Adelaide Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    *raises an eyebrow* I guess that's what I'm saying...couple words go a long way. *is lost at this point*

3. Master_Kip_Duron

Master_Kip_Duron Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    i must go now, if you wish, we can continue this discussion tommorow. My aim id is sevenaa. Later.

4. Taz_Jinn

Taz_Jinn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Well I'm just saying these people who think they are all holy and stuff go trying to put God on trial and trip over their own fix on religion... they become just like the most despised people in the bible.... (i'm sure most can guess who they are, and it's not the tax collectors)

5. Runaway_Shadow

Runaway_Shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    I don't believe in God. I used to once, but not anymore.

Now I believe he is a she.

Everyone should just respect other's religion. You shouldn't convince others that you religion is the best or the only one.

6. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    Well I'm just saying these people who think they are all holy and stuff go trying to put God on trial and trip over their own fix on religion...

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. People who think they are all holy are trying to put God on trial? Could you elaborate? Maybe provide an example?

7. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    I can't think of an example anywhere in the universe where there's one path to any person, place or thing. One's path to enlightenment, like any place else, depends on from where they are coming.

Even quantum mechanics and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle disagrees with that idea at the subatomic level!

As for Brahma, yes... Brahma would be the equivalent of the Christian "God".

However, it's useful to point out that Hinduism is henotheistic. It recognizes the validity of other paths, and does not encourage the disparaging of other faiths or the proselytization of individuals who do not believe in Hinduism.

8. han_notsolow

han_notsolow Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2001
    The Koran is a summary of the Torah and the Bible and some more. Muslims consider the prophet Abraham as the founder of their religion. All the prophets following him, including Moses and Jesus are revered by muslims.

As for differences and beating up other groups-human beings always search for differences and and at the same time finding common ground for grouping. WHen their is no religious difference then they find other differences, language, culture or if none is found and they are not in danger from outside interference then sub groups of the same religion fight it out.

Take france in the 1700's they were all christians but then catholics and protestants were at each others necks.

God is the one supreme being that has the final say on all matters. Religions that worship many gods have one supreme god that is above the other smaller ones. That God would be the equalant of Allah and Jehovah.

9. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    If there is a god...he/she is laughing at us because of how juvenile and child-like humans are.

"I hate you because you don't worship the same god as me"

"My god is better than your god"

"If you don't believe in god, you don't matter"

I could care less about god. I got bigger things to worry about than what happens when I am dead.

And Taz-Jin...you are the one who is being "HOLY". Lighten up, God just asked me to tell you to take a deep breath and count to 10 :D

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Look, to put it simply, the Christian God is different than that of any other religion. Our God is the only god who loves his creation, and who has mercy on them allowing them to be saved. According to all other religions, salvation is based on works.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Chris2

Chris2 Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm not sure Christianity doesn't depend on some form of works. One of the major creeds of Christianity is to aid those who are in trouble-poor people, those without support, people with disabilities etc. and generally be humble and attempt to abstain from the sin nature.

12. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    Those are all things that a Christian is supposed to do, but believing in Christ and that he died for our sins is what grants us eternal life.

I will concede that differing religions place emphasis on works, but in my study of the Bible, it is the equivalent of extracurricular activities. Great to have, but not necessary for advancement. :)

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you truly believe, you will act on your faith.

Faith without works is dead.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    exactly, KW. Christianity teaches that it is by faith we are saved, not by works. But if we have faith and an acknowledgement of what Christ did for us, then we will want to live out our lives. The "fruits of the spirit" are evidence that our faith is active, but the works themselves don't save us.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    I really dont see how faith should count more than ones actions in terms of eternal salvation. The logic behind that can be seen in two ways, 1. It is the result of an imperfect God who needs to be acknowledged(This is a human fault) or 2. The craftiness of an organized religion who uses faith as a way to keep its power.

16. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I'd have to disagree with you, Solojones. I think the Christian god is rife with contradiction and double-talk. Its not the Christian god I have a problem with. Its the followers. Please don't take any offense. I can respect anyone's right to choose.

It is all the stuff that has been done in Christian god's name. Murder, war, witch hunts. I have been on the receiving end of alot of harassment on the part of christians. To many of them, I am a satanist. Not because they have proof of my communion with the devil...because of the way I look.

I have long hair. I listen to metal music. They look at me, and say I am going to hell. Why am I going to hell? Thats just silly. These closed minds are what gives decent christians a bad name. For the record...I am most definitely NOT a satanist. I think satanists are misguided too.

Most satanists are clueless as to what satanism really is. Just as most christians are a little blind when it comes to what its all about. It is not right to say "You are a buddhist. You are going to hell because you are not a Christian.". Thats going overboard.

An example is the missionaries who go over to a country where the natives don't know anything about Christianity. They go over there and indoctrinate these people with the "Do what OUR god says, or you will burn.". Thats not right.

The religions of the world should begin to adopt an "open door" policy. If our religion works for you...great! Welcome aboard! If not, thats ok, make your own way. Especially in these trying times.

Once again...this is just my thinking. I am not condemning you if you happen to be christian. Whatever works...go with it.

:D

17. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    My answer to this is because it is harder to acknowledge an influence in your life that you cannot see and have the very human characteristic to deny existence thereof. Therefore, if you have faith in Christ, and that he did the impossible, and he did it for you, it is a greater decision than that of one to just do "good works."

18. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    You mean it is better to suspend my disbelief in the impossible than to do good for another human being for the sake of being good?

Im sorry Maveric that does not make sense to me

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree that sadly, many Christians don't know what they're religion teaches, but it's the same with every religion. I wish it weren't that way. However, you have to realize that the Bible does teach that the only way to be saved is through Jesus. Yes, some people have a tendancy to put this too bluntly or to misuse it to judge, but it's still part of our religion. I believe it, too. It's not about being stuck-up. Christianity teaches that I'm no better than you, I've just accepted Jesus as my savior.

Christianity's emphasis on faith rather than works is not as you see it. It shows that we are the creation and that we can't do anything to make ourselves holy and like the creator. But that the creator (God) had mercy on us. Doesn't it make sense that GOD is the one in charge of our salvation, not ourselves? Just a thought.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Okay, so if Christ really is the only way to reach salvation, why does he let all these other religions flourish? Seriously, what does he have against Buddhists? They never hurt anyone.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    He doesn't have anything against anyone. God gave people free will, to chose what they would do and believe. That doesn't change the fact that Jesus is the absolute truth, in the view of myself and other Christians. That's what the Bible teaches.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. RyoJo

RyoJo Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 1999
    "religions are man made rules used to control your life through God, when in reality God only really wants you to beleive in him and love him and realize that he sent his only begotten son to die and be raised from the dead for you."

this isn't the case for all religions. for instance, it seems to me that the main sources for the jewish religion's rules and beliefs are the books of moses, which, if you believe this, came from God. so if you are Jewish, then apparently your religion isn't just man made. the same holds true for me, being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints(Mormon to the lay-man). We believe that Jesus organized a Church when he was on the Earth, that Church was corrupted, then restored again(hence the latter-day part). This means that to us, our religion is from God, not from man. We also reject the various creeds that came about during the middle ages which most other Christian sects accept, because these were just made by councils of men, making them, from our point of view, man-made.

23. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Have any of you ever heard of the Seven Noahide Laws? They are the laws that Jews believe non-Jews must follow in order to obtain salvation. They are the laws which are interpreted from the passages that deal with God's instructions to Noah after the flood:

1) To establish courts of law so that there be justice.
    2) To refrain from blasphemy - this means MUCH more than just cussing.
    3) To refrain from committing incest and adultery.
    4) To refrain from committing murder.
    5) To refrain from stealing.
    6) To refrain from worshipping idols - not just statues, but anything that pulls attention away from righteous living.
    7) To refrain eating a limb torn from a living animal - this is a dramatic way of saying to be kind to animals.

One 'positive' and six 'negative' statements to live by, which I believe most of the world pretty much understands and incorporates into their own religions without the use of a bible.

A link to an interesting site that delves further into this belief is here.

24. Maveric

Oct 17, 1999
    sleazo wrote
    You mean it is better to suspend my disbelief in the impossible than to do good for another human being for the sake of being good?

Im sorry Maveric that does not make sense to me

I can understand your opinion, I was in your shoes a few years back (completely against religion and doubted that God existed). I wish I could explain it better than that, and I really tried my best to do so. In God's view, faith in Him must come first, everything else is secondary.

Perhaps someone could do a better job on this than I.

25. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    However, you have to realize that the Bible does teach that the only way to be saved is through Jesus. Yes, some people have a tendancy to put this too bluntly or to misuse it to judge, but it's still part of our religion. I believe it, too. It's not about being stuck-up. Christianity teaches that I'm no better than you, I've just accepted Jesus as my savior.

I am a Protestant (nominally) and this statement provides a concise summary of the Protestant view of scripture.

Do those Christians that do not believe in "Salvation by faith alone" such as Catholics or Orthodox Christians believe in the same god?

Also I view some Protestants such as Baptists as apostates since they interpret the bible in literal sense, which makes no sense and is rejected by the vast majority of Christians. Am I wrong to have such a harsh view of this group of Christians?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.