main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga My young apprentice--Ani/Obi vignette, post TPM

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sock_of_Darth_Vader, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    It was raining on Coruscant.

It didn't often rain, for the creators of the planet's weather control programs had assumed that most of the inhabitants disliked being drenched. But tonight, it rained.

Obi-Wan watched as the drops of water sluiced down the outside of the window and ran away down the outside wall. At one corner the static seal had been broken and the raindrops trickled in to form a small puddle on the sill. I need to fix that, Obi-Wan thought, but still he sat and watched the drops of water running down. There were drops of water on his face too, but they were salt.

Here, in the quarters in the Temple he had shared with his Master, the events of the past few weeks seemed unreal, a forgotten nightmare--

except Jedi don't have nightmares

forgotten, that is, until he remembered that it was his Padawan not his Master who slept in the other room behind the closed door. His Padawan. He,Obi-Wan, was meant to be the Padawan. Had been the Padawan until the Sith with the face like fire and shadows had arrived in the hangar on Naboo, fighting like a fury, his red blade stabbing into Qui-Gon's body and driving the life from it.

He is the Chosen One...he will bring balance...

Qui-Gon's dying words had been all for the boy, the talented child he had picked up by chance,

in my experience, there's no such thing as chance

not his Padawan, the one he had chosen, to teach and to guide. The Padawan he had been ready to rush through the trials so he could take on the child in Obi-Wan's place. Anakin, that vergence in the Force, that volatile bundle of latent raw power. Despite Obi-wan's eagerness to be Knighted, his eager protest to that effect, it had stung bitterly. The journey to Naboo had been awkward, strained, because of that rejection. If he had known...if only he had known! On Naboo, he had apologized to his Master, but it had been a mere retraction of statements of fact, not a trure healing of the breach between them. And then the Sith had come, and he had failed, and it was too late.

Obi-Wan was so caught up in his thoughts that he failed to hear the door opening, and failed to sense the vergence in the Force until it landed in his lap with the impact of a small proton torpedo.

"Uffgh!" Obi-Wan said. "Anakin, is it necessary to be quite so enthusiastic?"

His dignity as he uttered this rebuke was futher injured by the fact that he had to sniffle like a youngling with a head cold in the middle of it.

"You're sad about Master Qui-Gon, aren't you?"

"Yes," Obi-Wan admitted, wiping his eyes. A pair of small arms wrapped themselves in a stranglehold around his neck.

"I'm sad too, Obi-Wan. We can be sad together."

Obi-Wan put an arm awkwardly around Anakin. He had had no contact with youngling since he had been one himself, but he suspected that even if he had it wouldn't have helped him much. Anakin was hardly a typical Temple initiate. His warm little body was taking shuddery breaths, his head pressed down agianst Obi-Wan's shoulder. Obi-Wan could sense his child's grief.

"Master Obi-Wan?" Anakin asked presently.

"Yes?"

"Why do people have to die?"

Obi-Wan put a hand on Anakin's little stubbly head, half-smiled.
    "It is the way of the Force, Ani."

Anakin sat up. His bottom lip pushed his top one out of line and his blond eyebrows were knotted together. "Isn't there a way to stop people from dying? Couldn't someone fix them so they don't?"

"You can't fix humans like you can droids, Anakin."

"The Thing," Anakin said, going off on a new tangent. "If I had shot the Thing before it killed Master Qui-Gon..."

For a moment Obi-Wan saw the red-and-black demon face filled with evil glee as it felled Qui-Gon, and felt as trapped and helpless as he had at that moment.

"The Sith. I tried to stop it, Ani, to help Qui-Gon defeat it, but as Master Yoda says, there is no try, only do or do not."

"What's a Siff, Master Obi-Wan?"

"The Sith use the Force for evil, the Dark Side."

"Fear leads to anger, ang

2. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    That was just perfect, a beautiful combination of sweetness and sadness.

I loved the rain, how in tune it was with Obi-Wan's melancholy and Anakin fixing the window for him. I think Obi-Wan did a very creditable job of explaining the difference between what Qui-Gon said and what he probably meant.

All in all this was a very believable beginning for the two of them.

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wonderful job of looking at both of their thoughts and emotions at the beginning. It's nice to see someone show the softer side of both characters. :)

4. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    That was sweet! :)

With everything Obi-Wan is feeling and going through, he still has the patience and understanding to answer Anakin's questions, and to guide his understanding of the light side / darkside, and how to interpretQui-Gon's advice of Feel, don't think.

I really enjoyed this vig.

~Bek

5. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    That was great!!!! And it had Ani/Obi mush!!!! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!

6. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Really nice. I love mush too.

7. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I could have sworn I replied to this . . . :p

Very cute, Cat. :) I enjoyed it muchly. :D I guess Obi-Wan just got in the habit of calling Ani his young apprentice after this, hmm? :p My talented mini-me. ;)

His dignity as he uttered this rebuke was futher injured by the fact that he had to sniffle like a youngling with a head cold in the middle of it.

I loved that line. :D

8. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Reihla: That's pathetic fallacy, that rain ;) I'm glad it was believable. Thanks!

obi_ew: Yeah, they cannot always be fighting!

becah_k: Obi-Wan's a patient man. He'll need to be, over the next 10 years :D

Diamond_pony and Opal: A bit of mush is good at times. We can't live by angst alone!

oba: Poor sniffly Obi-Wan... [face_love]

9. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    that was a sweet and wonderful post filled with emotions of both Anakin and Obiwan.

10. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    great dialogue. Liked the part about the weather.

11. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    UPPERS AND YUPPERS!!!!!!!

12. Lorax

Lorax Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2003
    Aww. This was soo sweet.

I love the interaction between the two.

My favorite line;
    Obi-Wan realised suddenly how much Anakin didn't know about the Jedi way, how many gaps there were in the knowledge that the Temple younglings learned at Yoda's?well, not knee. Ear level perhaps.

13. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    CrystalKenobi: Yes, one CAN like Obi and Ani together ;) And in the same one-post fic.

Keeper_of_Swords: That was what started it--Obi-Wan looking out at the rain and crying. Poor Obi, that boy needs a hug. Anakin gave him one though. [face_love]

diamondpony2002: Thanks for the up!

Lorax: I couldn't resist a tiny piece of humour ;)

14. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I liked this a lot. I think it put the characterization of how they would feel right after TPM exactly.

15. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Yes, it's very soon after TPM. A few days I would think.

16. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Very sweet. Obi Wan trying to hide that he's crying, being jealous of Anakin, Ani coming and trying to give and receive affection...
    Very true to the characters.

17. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Padlei: Thank you! I'm not so used to the PT characters as the OT. They are sweet, aren't they. Poor boys... [face_love]

18. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Are you going to write a sequel? Or an A/P vignette maybe?

19. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    I don't have a lot of time at the minute, but I am writing an AotC mini-fic

20. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Very nice interpretation of both characters - sweet sadness rather than the gut-wrenching agony more commonly depicted.

Lovely.

CYN

21. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    CYN: No, I don't see Angsting!Gut-wrenchingGrief!Obi-Wan myself. It's...undignified, somehow, for Obi-Wan. I can't really express it, but, oh well. Glad you liked it. :)

22. rogue_winter

rogue_winter Jedi Youngling

Sep 26, 2003
    Nice...sweet. It's always good to read an Anakin/Obi-Wan bonding fic. Most writers prefer them at their throats even post-TPM.
    However, the characterisations were not very accurate. Anakin is not really that physically affectionate (remember how he squirmed from his mother after the race) and Obi-Wan's jealousy over Qui-Gon wanting to train Anakin is also rather unaccounted for. But despite that it was a good story and I enjoyed reading it.

23. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    rogue_winter: Obi-Wan is still feeling jealous and slighted as regards Anakin. He hasn't really dealt with that, he's just shoving it under the carpet. I don't think it could be dealt with to any extent in a vignette. It would take him years to get over it, I would think.
    As for Anakin, Anakin the triumphant pod-racer, wanting to look good in front of him new friend and his first crush, is a lot more cocky than homesick, lonely, grieving Anakin. I agree he would only be physically affectionate under special circumstances, but I think he might be trying to seek a little comfort.
    Thanks for reviewing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.