main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Myrkr Is What Makes The NJO Work (And The Galaxy A Better Place)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, Nov 18, 2016.

1. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014

Anakin wasn't "the" hero of NJO. At most he was this in Conquest and Star by Star till his death, in the story as a whole Jacen and Han were already just as big or bigger characters. And Luke, untouchable and unstoppable as he is, was also still around, pretty big deal.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    xezene - That was... really excellent.

xezene likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, Conquest was a big change for the story as it seemed to be a big reverse of the clumsy complete failures of before.

4. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    True, I suppose I meant in the classical sense. Anakin is the swashbuckling, hero type, and that was really played up till he died. A lot of people looked to him to be that moving forward, too, fans and characters alike, but we all know where that ended up.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, in-universe everyone basically expected him to be the new Luke, and that was mentioned multiple times up to (and following) his death. "Ya got the makings of greatness in ya," to quote Treasure Planet, is how everyone looked at Anakin.

Barriss_Coffee and xezene like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    When they killed him -- the year the book came out -- I remember we all assumed it was a con and he'd be back as lead in the next book. Mainly because there was no one of his caliber to fill his shoes. We certainly didn't have high hopes for Jacen.

But that was what made it so brilliant in retrospect -- Anakin was destined to be the hero from the start of the series, and Jaina was always the dependable heroine. Jacen was the feet-dragging ruminating sibling who second-guessed everything all the time. There was no "hero's journey" for the first two because they were already heroes (Jaina having brief forays in the Dark Side notwithstanding). But Jacen had to really work to achieve the same status. And the major impetus for that was Anakin's fate, because Anakin had been his hero who he had, for whatever reason, always deferred to thinking he could never be as good.

(In retrospect after reading LOTF, perhaps he took mirroring Anakin a bit too far, re: "Don't you get it? You're exactly what I want to be when I grow up." "What, dead?":p )

xezene, Trip and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Re-reading the NJO, I was surprised how much of a jerk Anakin could be; basically him, Kyp and the pro-war Jedi used their negative emotions and amplified them into their characters. Pro-war Jedi were very quick to act up aggressively against the people on their side that didn't share their exact point of view. Anakin "winning" the NJO might therefore have ended with him as a Revan-like warlord or something. Now here's your "what if Anakin survived" fan fiction.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the NJO would have been better if Anakin had taken the shot at Centerpoint and actually hit the target only for things to screw up afterward

Give him an inflated sense of awesome.

9. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Someone needs to write a fanfic of Anakin's going dark and joining Lumiya after the Vong war and having to be put down by his family. Now that's a dark fanfic I'll read.