main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Myst: 9 Million addicts and counting!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth_SnowDog, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    From the NEW YORK--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--April 2, 2002-- To air on the cable, SciFi Channel (still in development, air date not yet scheduled)

MYST (4-hour miniseries) - Inspired by the best-selling CD-ROM adventure game of all time, this four-hour SCI FI miniseries sends us on a journey to discover what really happened on the island of Myst. Along the way, we uncover an ancient civilization that existed for thousands of years beneath the surface of the Earth--a civilization that created magical books allowing one to travel to other worlds or Ages. Using these "linking" books in MYST, characters defy the boundaries of space and get entangled in the intrigue and mystery of undiscovered worlds. MYST will be a Mandalay Television Pictures production for SCI FI, executive produced by Elizabeth Stephen with Rand Miller and Susan Bonds of Cyan in association with Columbia Tri Star Domestic Television.

Come and discuss this, and all things relating to Myst, Riven and Myst III!

2. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Thank you Darth_SnowDog! That's an exciting article; I hadn't heard a thing about that. I can't wait to see this.

I've played all three games and adored them all (Riven is probably my favorite). They're such beautiful all-encompassing games. I've also read the three books, the Book of Ti'ana being my favorite.

But speaking of this miniseries, what exactly will it be about? Is it going to be about Atrus or the history of D'ni or something else entirely?

3. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    I dunno... this is all the information I've seen so far. It could be very cool or it could suck horribly. It's promising, though, that the television units of Columbia-Tristar and Mandalay Pictures, both Hollywood film production companies, as well as Rand Miller himself as exec. prod., will be involved.

I've also played all three games, and am eagerly awaiting their new Myst-like game, codenamed "Mudpie" for now, which will be like Everquest but using the most advanced graphics engine yet for net-based 3D VR roleplaying. It won't be a Myst sequel, but very much like it.

Riven was my favorite... I don't think I've ever seen a more challenging, thought provoking computer game. I liked the concept and interface of Myst III, but the interactive story I felt was lacking... the game seemed to have been "dumbed down" because of too many complaints about Riven being "too" difficult to solve.

I was, however, really impressed with the mechanical age in Myst III (was it Amateria?) with all the different track puzzles.. and how they tied together near the last part of that age. Beautiful, startling and cool age. I dont know if you remember the octagonal rock pillars.. but those are actually based on a natural geological formation found I think in Europe. Scientists on some show had demonstrated how such a perfect polygonal shape could have naturally formed out of rocks.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    This could be good news if they do it right.

Riven. . .ah, I got lost in that game even using the strategy guide. :D

5. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    I did some digging and this is what I've come up with.

From Riven, the Unofficial Homepage:

To gather more information, I talked today to Tony Fryman, president of Cyan, and Susan Bonds, Cyan's Chief of Design and Production. Susan is also the Co-Executive Producer of the Myst miniseries. Here's what they told me...
    The project had its origins in the success of the SCI FI Channel's Dune miniseries. The writer and director of that series was a fan of Myst and told an interviewer that it would be great if the same thing was done for Myst sometime. Executives at the SCI FI Channel apparently agreed, especially Ian Valentine, the head of the channel, who Susan credits as being a real advocate for the project. So the SCI FI channel approached Cyan about a year ago with the miniseries idea. In the past, Cyan had been wary of movie proposals because they were reluctant to give up control of their "baby", as Robyn Miller once called it. But in this case they agreed because they felt that the people involved understood the creative core of Myst and could be trusted to do a good job.
    How much of a factor was money? It's no secret that Cyan has been seeking additional funding for Mudpie (the code name for their next game), but Tony and Susan told me that financial considerations were not the main reason Cyan agreed to this project. Rather, it was because this was an opportunity to present Myst in a new way, and to reach millions of people who have never played the Myst games. In other words, the long-term benefits to the Myst franchise are more important to Cyan than any short-term financial gain.
    How much control will Cyan have over the finished product? Both Rand Miller and Susan Bonds are listed as executive producers, but without knowing details of the contract (which Cyan declined to discuss) it's impossible to know how much real authority goes with those titles. In the movie industry, an executive producer sometimes has significant power, but other times it's little more than an honorary title.
    The project is still in its very early stages. A writer has just been chosen (Cyan declined to identify the writer), so it'll be months before a script is written and approved by all parties. The cast will not be chosen until later in the project. Susan said that the timetable is flexible, but pre-production might begin in perhaps 3 to 6 months, and she estimates that the entire project might take roughly 12 to 18 months, so we may be looking at the miniseries being ready sometime between the spring and fall of 2003 if all goes well. She emphasized that these are just rough estimates and are subject to change. In addition, it's important to remember that tv projects sometimes fall into development limbo, so don't consider this a "sure thing" until it gets much further along.
    The four-hour miniseries will probably be shown in two episodes of two hours each, but this is subject to change. The story will be based on events in the The Book of Atrus (which covers events that occured 30 years before Myst), along with events in the original Myst game and events during the 30-year span between the two.
    posted April 2, 2002

Also, from the same site, check out this link for info on MystOnline, formerly Mudpie, which should be released next year. Looks great. :)

As for Riven, I too, loved the complexity of it. As Mastadge said, it was quite easy to get lost in it, but once you understood, it was amazing. I remember the satisfaction I had when I finished it.

Exile was a little too easy after Riven, in my opinion. It was smaller overall and took less time - and thought- to finish. But other than those gripes, it was a gorgeous game to look at. The ages were lovely and well detailed, but overall it just lacked something that Riven had.

And cool information about the octagonal rocks, Darth_SnowDog. I didn't know that.

6. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I love all things Myst. I've played all three games (Riven is my favorite) and read all three books (I love the book of Ti'anna the most.) I'm eagerly awaiting Mudpie! Is anyone else a member of the Lyst? I am, but I mostly lurk...

7. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    Ah, found it... Giants Causeway in Northern Ireland.

The link above has some interesting information about the discovery that these stones were formed naturally by lava cooling. I remember one guy showed how a solution made of baking soda soaked, hardened, dried in a petri dish would cause the same formations when cooled.

Pretty neat stuff... anyway, back to Myst...

Thanks for the update Adi! The info makes the miniseries sound promising. The one thing I wish they would have done... which, who knows, they may have tried... I wish they got Vangelis to write the score for the games (and the miniseries). Particularly if you listen to his work on 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Blade Runner and his album El Greco... many of the haunting images that come to mind are the kind you find in the ages of the Myst universe.

In fact, there's a part in the original Myst game... in the astronomy/projection room where you sit in the chair and look at the stars... the music is a blatant ripoff of Vangelis' score from Blade Runner's opening credits!

8. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Hey, Obi-Wan's Apparition, nice to met another Myst fan. What is the Lyst that you mentioned? I've never heard of it.

Speaking of the books, does anyone know if there's any plans for new books? The Myst franchise is still doing well with Myst Online (Mudpie) coming out next year and Myst IV apparently being worked on. I loved the three books; they were incredibly interesting and very well-written. I'd love to read more of them.

Thanks for that link, Darth SD. That must be incredible to see in real life. As a fan of mythology and legend I particularly found it interesting how the rocks were attributed to a giant by the locals.

As for the score of the miniseries/games, I've never heard of that composer because I've never seen Blade Runner. I've heard that that movie is horrible from some people and others think it's wonderful, but I've yet to see it myself.

I love Howard Shore's music. He wrote the haunting soundtrack to the Fellowship of the Ring and I think he would do a wonderful job as well.

9. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    Vangelis also did the scores for:

Chariots of Fire
    1492: Conquest of Paradise
    Missing
    The Bounty (w/Mel Gibson & Anthony Hopkins)
    Antarctica (a Japanese production)
    Opera Sauvage and L'Apocalypse des Animaux (dir. by Frederic Rossif)

...and several other films I can't think of at the moment.

10. starwarsgirl4324

starwarsgirl4324 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2000
    Oh wow, finally a Myst discussion! :D I've been a fan ever since '93, when Myst was first released. I loved everything about the game: the atmosphere and complexity of the ages, the thought needed to solve the game, the music, and the storyline. The same goes for both Riven and Exile . As far as difficulty, I definitely had the hardest time with Riven. Exile was easier than Riven, but much harder than Myst. After everything I'd heard about Myst being so difficult, I was actually surprised at how easily I got through it. As far as having a favorite in the games, it's impossible for me to pick one. When I first bought Exile, I thought it was my favorite, but now that I think about it, I can't choose. I like the general feeling of Myst the best, the storyline of Riven the best, and the ages of Exile the best, especially Amateria. I loved all of the books as well. Ti'ana was my favorite, followed closely by Atrus

11. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Hey starwarsgirl. Nice to meet another Myst fan. :)

I found Exile to be the easiest, then Myst, then Riven. I had no idea what to expect with Myst; it took me a while to start thinking in the right way with Myst. By Exile, I knew what was going on. And Riven was just incredibly hard and incredibly huge. :eek: But it's also my favorite.

What is everyone's favorite age or island of Riven? I love Riven's main island with the harbor and the forest. The Mechanical Age of Myst is my favorite there, I love the two different rooms. And Amanteria was my favorite age from Exile, I believe.

12. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    The Lysts are mailing lists that were formerlly known as the Riven Lyst. I've been a member for a couple of years now, and they are an excellent resource. plus people like RAWA frequent it so we know what is currently happening at Cyan. I don't participate in discussion because I am much too timid, :)8} ) although I occasionally post at Mudpie Obsession or the DRC message boards under the name Paranoid Android. :)

Adi_Gallia_9: RAWA said the next book would be called The Book of Merriam (sorry if that really isn't her name. [face_plain] You know, the lady from The Book of D'ni.) The book has been on hold because they have been too busy with Mudpie, but I do believe he said the book was done and that they were getting a different publisher for it.

Sorry that was so long. :)

PS- Fav island in Riven? Jungle. :D

13. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I got Myst for Christmas one year, and I've been playing it a little, but in all honesty, I have no idea what I have to do, or what's it about, or anything. [face_blush] Could someone be an absolute darling and maybe give me a quick over-view of what's going on, or maybe post a link to an explanation or something? I'd love ya forever if ya did! ;)

14. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    Darth_Goofy: Figuring out what the purpose or objective is, if there is one ;), is part of the purpose or objective of Myst.

The only way to know what to do in Myst is to completely immerse yourself in that world. Everything and anything could provide clues to why you're there.

Put it another way...

You're stuck on an island. You don't remember how you got here. You don't even know where "here" is. You have never seen this place before. You have no clue how to get off the island.

What would you do?

:D

P.S.: I would not play this game at any time when you cannot devote your eyes and ears entirely to it. If you were stuck on an island in real life, you wouldn't have anything better to do!

15. Adi_Gallia_9

Apr 16, 2001
    Thanks Obi-Wan's Apparition for the info on the new book. I hadn't heard anything about it and I'm quite excited for it. I enjoyed the other three very much. :)

Darth Goofy, as Darth SnowDog wisely said, Myst is a game that you need to totally immerse yourself in. In other words, it becomes quite addiciting, so watch out. ;) If you want hints on how to beat it, I'd say try to figure it out as best as you can on your own. If you simply cannot,
    check out either this book or this site for walk-throughs. But only go there as a last resort; the game is more fun when you're able to beat it by yourself.

That book is great; it's what got me through Myst. It has general hints so you don't have to cheat completely as well as straight out answers when you just can't do it (like the maze runner in the Selentic Age; I probably still can't beat that on my own. ;))

EDIT: I just found this nice introduction to Myst for new players.

16. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Thank you so so much, SnowDog and Adi! :D That helps a ton. Thanks again! :D

17. Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    Myst was awesome. Riven made me cry.

18. jedijedi

jedijedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    When I wasn't addicted to the Sims or the JC, I loved Myst and Riven. Like you guys said, I was immersed in this whole other world. I absolutely loved the graphics in Riven but I couldn't play without the strategy guides :D Now that I think of it, I wish my hard drive wasn't so full so I could play again :(

-jediidej-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.