main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Mysteries--A Shmi Story! CONCLUSION 7/22/03

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MissPadme, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Originally I posted this in the Saga section but was advised it really belonged here. So here it is...

Mysteries
    by MissPadme

Rated PG for pregnancy issues and some angst

Synopsis: Shmi Skywalker, a simple slave, discovers she?s got a Chosen Bun in the oven. Basically this covers the events leading up to Anakin?s birth. I wrote the first draft back in 1999 and it?s finally done!

Disclaimer: Characters and situations belong to Papa George. No money is being made off of this story. Hell, I?m lucky if anyone even reads it.

Prologue

A distorted holodrama played in the mind?s eye. There was fire and a barren world beneath the harsh glare of twin suns. Quiet murmurings of bringing balance. The flash of laser swords. There was pain and blood, love and light, hope and despair, and above all, the intense gaze of blue eyes.

The last thing she heard was a whisper...the son of suns...

Gasping, Shmi Skywalker awoke from her bizarre dream. The odd images and sounds gave way to the realities of her everyday life. She lay on a rough-hewn pallet, dressed in a nightgown of patched homespun material within her small cramped quarters.

Wiping the perspiration from her forehead, she blinked at the shadows. It was still the middle of the night. With a sigh, she turned toward her small window with its view of the diamond-lit sky. A shooting star raced across, leaving a trail of red and blue. For a moment Shmi wondered if she were still dreaming, for she had never seen anything like it.

Settling back into her pallet and closing her eyes, Shmi couldn?t shake the feeling something unusual had happened to her and things would never again be the same.

Next installment: Tuesday June 24

--MissPadme

2. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    This story has much potential! I will be watching this one with great interest!
    --later--

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Woohoo- I made the boards journey and am bumping this baby up! :D

4. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hmmm.... This looks interesting, MissPadme.

I like the "Chosen Bun in the oven" line. :D

5. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Knight-Ander, I hope you remain interested!

PLJ, thanks for the ups.

Okay, here it is, the official first part of the story:

Part One

Shmi Skywalker lay on her side, her abdomen aching from the retching. She panted, wondering what could be happening to her. This was the third morning in a row she?d awakened nauseous and dizzy. Yesterday, she?d nearly fainted.

Slowly, she sat up from the ?fresher floor. Ever since the night of the strange dream two months beforehand, she could not escape the sensation something within her had changed. Now that she had pronounced physical symptoms, she was frightened.

?Shmi, are you all right?? She gazed up to see her friend Karine, a fellow human slave in Lady Artelan?s household, standing before her.

?Yes, I think so,? Shmi said, trying to stand. Karine bent over to help her friend to her feet.

?You look pale,? Karine said. ?Are you sure??

?Of course I?m sure.?

?Shmi, I?m worried about you. You?ve been ill every morning the past several days.?

?Whatever it is, it will pass.?
    Karine bit her lip. ?Perhaps I should get Erlag to see you.? She cut off any protest by adding, ?Please, Shmi. You?re no good to anyone--especially Lady Artelan--if you?re sick all of the time. I?ll arrange for her to come tonight. No one needs to know.?

?All right,? Shmi nodded. She knew Karine was right. She splashed water from the basin on her face, wiped it off, then left the ?fresher with Karine. Calm yourself, her inner voice commanded. Pull yourself together and worry later. You have work to do. Shmi didn?t feel well, but she felt better than she did a few minutes ago.

Shmi slipped back into the compound?s technical station and set back to work on cleaning electronic components. Pi-Lippa, one of her previous masters, had taught her well in mechanics. That made her far more marketable. Before then she?d been a house servant and a cleaner.

The young but careworn woman had long ago accepted that her lot in life was to be a slave. She had been one for as long as she could remember. Her memories of her parents faded to feelings and impressions. Pirates had captured their ship while traveling through the lawless Outer Rim Territories when she was only a young girl. She was separated from her family and sold to a variety of masters on different Outer Rim worlds, some good, some bad. Pi-Lippa had been one of her better masters. Perhaps her best. She served him well and she became his favorite.

Shmi felt a pang remembering the night Pi-Lippa, ill and on his deathbed, told her that he was going to have her freed. But before the formalities were completed, he died. His greedy and wicked son sold her off to yet another master, Pi-Lippa?s cousin. He in turn sold her to Lady Artelan.

Lady Artelan was an arms dealer whose primary clientele were of the criminal sort. The youngish Zeltron widow inherited the business from her late husband, who of course had died under mysterious circumstances.

Shmi bore Pi-Lippa no ill will; fate had intervened. But she would no longer hold out any hope for freedom. Besides, while Lady Artelan relished her role as master a little too much, she was not cruel. She appreciated Shmi?s skills enough to brag about them to her friends. One of them, Gardulla the Hutt, kept asking Lady Artelan if she would sell Shmi to her. Artelan had always replied that she wasn?t interested.

Shmi abruptly broke out of her reverie when she felt Artelan?s presence nearing. Somehow she was always able to sense whenever those familiar to her were near. Moments later Artelan swept into the technical station, chiffon and silks swirling about her curvaceous form. She was beautiful but her features were as hard as permacrete. ?Shmi,? she said in her abrupt way, ?is the droid repaired yet? It will be needed for tonight?s banquet.?

?Yes, my lady. In fact, it?s in perfect working order.? She reached over to a silent protocol droid and switched it on to demonstrate.

?Well done,? Artelan n

6. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Nice job of relating Shmi's history, MissPadme.

Keep it up. :)

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Very intersting history you set up. I did get the impression that Shmi seemed very used to living the life of a slave, and I always wondered how many times over and over she was sold off.

Very interesting stuff! Wait until she finds out WHY she's not feeling well - boy will THAT be a surprise! [face_mischief]

8. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    There she is - I can just see her - exposed to the underbelly of the society in which she lives and yet retaining a kind of purity and innocence; showing that unembittered forbearance and pride in her work; and completely clueless about the momentous events that are about to overtake her.

I love her. You are drawing her beautifully.

9. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Good beginning!! Interesting background you have set up for Shmi.

10. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Knight-Ander--I did get some of Shmi's background from the Episode I Visual Dictionary and just kind of extrapolated from there.

PLJ--I got the impression from the movies that Shmi has long since resigned herself to the life of a slave; getting to live on the Lars homestead must have been like winning the lottery to her. And oh yes, Shmi will be surprised indeed.

geo3--Aw, shucks! [face_blush]

qingauk--Thanks!

--MissPadme

11. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    This backstory is really interesting. And I'm sure there's more to come... :D

At least Shmi doesn't have a horrible master for the moment, if she's going to be dealing with being pregnant. :) (Then again, you already mentioned Gardulla, of whom boy Anakin was no big fan... :()

Looking forward to more! :D

12. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    There's plenty more to come, Darth Lex! Part Two is posted below:

Part Two

Late in the evening after Artelan?s banquet, Karine brought the folk healer Erlag to Shmi?s quarters. It was a two-room affair that could charitably called a hut, made from the bulkheads of a junked freighter. Yet Shmi prided herself on keeping it as neat, clean, and pest-free as Artelan?s palace.

2-1 medical droids and trained sentient medics were in short supply in this part of the galaxy. The poorest beings, slaves included, relied upon home remedies and folk medicine practiced by ?wise women? like Erlag.

Shmi discussed the feelings of nausea, the disruption of her monthly cycle, and nearly fainting with the old woman. Erlag looked at Shmi knowingly and asked, ?Have you considered the possibility that you are with child??

Shmi almost burst out laughing. Pregnant?? It was impossible. But Erlag was serious and something in Karine?s expression said that her friend suspected as much. ?No, I?ve not considered it because I cannot be pregnant. It?s absurd.?

?Perhaps it would be wise to test you, just to be sure,? Erlag said. She went into a bag and produced a cup. ?Here, I need a sample from you.? Erlag nodded toward the ?fresher.

?But...? Shmi began to protest, but Karine gently touched her shoulder.

?Please, Shmi. At least so we can eliminate it as a possibility.?

Shmi looked from Karine to Erlag. ?All right, just to prove it to you,? she acquiesced. After she returned from the ?fresher with a sample, Erlag added to it drops of herbal fluid from a bottle. Erlag waited a few moments, nodded, and turned to Shmi.

?It?s green. You are with child.?

?I don?t understand,? Shmi said, bewildered. ?How could I be pregnant?? She looked pleadingly at Erlag. ?There has to be a mistake.?

?Try it again, then,? Erlag said.

They repeated the process three times and each time the results were the same...pregnant.

?I have used this method for decades and it has never been incorrect,? Erlag said.

Karine stepped forward and put an arm around a stunned Shmi?s shoulder. ?Shmi, you must face the truth.?

?But I haven?t been with a man. Ever.? Certainty burned in her brown eyes.

?It is entirely possible you were impregnated without your realizing it. Or perhaps you had been intimate with someone without intercourse. Even a virgin can get pregnant that way. I?ve seen cases.?

?No,? Shmi shook her head. ?There is no chance that could have happened.? Yet there was no other way to explain her symptoms. Or the feelings she had since that night months ago. Could it be?

Part Three will be posted July 9

--MissPadme

13. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    ?I don?t understand,? Shmi said, bewildered. ?How could I be pregnant??

Good question, and another good post, MissPadme. :)

14. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    ?No,? Shmi shook her head. ?There is no chance that could have happened.? Yet there was no other way to explain her symptoms. Or the feelings she had since that night months ago. Could it be?

The "shooting star" night...ahhhh... Poor Shmi - one can only imagine how bewildered she must be!

The next post is arriving on my birthday. That's something to look forward to....

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Boy there's a rude awakening. Poor Shmi :( Try to explain that one. She didn't have some booming voice tell her why she was going to have a child either.

Oh well- at least little Ani will bring her joy and be a blessing, instead of a burden.

16. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I couldn't imagine what I'd do in Shmi's place! Maybe go :_|! Excellant story!

--later--

17. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Thanks, Knight-Ander!

I hope the next installment will brighten up your birthday geo3! I also feel for Shmi. There's no way this woman could figure what's going on.

PLJ, no booming voice, no visitations from angels, not even a lousy "shower of gold." But Shmi is a practical woman who seems to find the bright side to every situation. Indeed her little Ani will bring her joy.

Darth_Leia, I'd cry too! Try explaining to your family it was the midichlorians that knocked you up :D.

--MissPadme

18. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Thank you for posting this link on Defender's Miss P!! I just found it and am enjoying what you've done so far!!

Poor Shmi - I can relate to her morning sickness. :(

Looking forward to more! :D

19. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Poor hopelessly confused Shmi!

I agree with PLJ -- it's awfully unfair of the midichlorians not to provide a booming voice to explain the divine conception for her. I mean, you're traumatizing the woman here? Can't you see that? :p

*realizes he is chastising microscopic life forms and/or mystical energy field* :cool:

Well, I still feel bad for her. ;)

20. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    A mother without the joys!! what a bummer :)
    good job MP.
    waiting til Thursday ...

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  22. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Thanks, Arriss...I've never been pregnant, so I can only imagine how morning sickness is a drag.

Lex, come to think of it, nobody ever explains to Shmi how little Ani came to be. Not even Qui-Gon. Poor woman!

qingauk, thanks. You won't have to wait until Thursday for a new post though ;).

This one is rather short, but I hope you'll enjoy it.

Part Three

Weeks after Erlag?s visit, Karine found Shmi in her quarters, sewing what appeared to be a small baby?s tunic from simple broadcloth. Shmi wasn?t quite showing yet beneath her loose garments, but the morning sickness had abated.

?You were serious that night,? Karine said, sitting on the pallet beside her friend. ?You really don?t know who the father is.?

?There is no father.?

?There has to be. Maybe Erlag is right. A guard or another slave could have come in during the night without your knowing it.?

Shmi firmly shook her head. ?I would know if that had happened. It didn?t.?

Exasperated, Karine got up from the pallet and paced around the small confines of the room. ?Are you saying this baby just materialized out of thin air? By magic? Such things are just campfire tales and superstition!?

Shmi stared at her friend. How to explain to the no-nonsense woman the dream and the unusual shooting star that preceeded all of this? ?I can?t explain this any more than you can. But you must believe me when I say that I am telling the truth.?

?What will you do, then? You?re a slave. The child will be a slave too. Artelan may sell you or sell the baby.?

?Give me time to earn some favors from her. She is already pleased with my service. She will let me keep the child if I remain on her good side. I?m not going to tell her right now. When the time is right, I will.

?This child is the only hope I?ve ever had for a future, if not for me, then for him.?

?You are sure you?re carrying a boy??

Shmi smiled sheepishly. ?Somehow I know it?s a boy.? Then she grew serious again. ?I lost my family a long time ago, but now I?ll have one again, a family of me and my baby. Yes, he might be born a slave, but there is something special about him. I can feel it.?

Next post: Tuesday July 15

--MissPadme

23. qingauk

Jul 12, 2002
    She is going to earn some favors!! I can imagine how much fun it would be to explain her dream!! good job!

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Poor woman, I can bet that conversation will be awkward :(

I wouldn't think her owner would care- a child would mean more profit to her if she sold him :(

Boy being a slave is depressing, isn't it? Poor Shmi! :_|

25. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    How utterly terrifying - to bear a child and not know whether you will be allowed to keep it because it automatically becomes someone else's property. And yet Shmi seems so calm and confident - she truly has adapted to the life she has been given.

I wonder - why is she so confident that the child is a boy?

Great post, as always. Looking forward to the next one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.