main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by HL&S , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    [image=http://mst3k.nofadz.com/phpBB2/templates/fiblack3dblue/images/mstwide.jpg]

This is where we discuss all things related to Mystery Science Theater 3000.

My favorite character is Tom Servo. My favorite episode right now is the Creeping Terror. I mean that monster was the cheesiest thing ever.

[image=http://networklandscape.com/blog/wp-content/mikejoel.jpg]

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In the not-too-distant future-
    Next Sunday A.D.-
    There was a guy named Joel,
    Not too different from you or me.
    He worked at Gizmonic Institute,
    Just another face in a red jumpsuit.
    He did a good job cleaning up the place,
    But his bosses didn't like him
    So they shot him into space.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
    The worst we can find (la-la-la).
    He'll have to sit and watch them all,
    And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
    Now keep in mind Joel can't control
    Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
    Because he used those special parts
    To make his robot friends.

ROBOT ROLL CALL!

Cambot!
    Gypsy!
    Tom Servo!
    Croooow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
    and other science facts (la la la),
    Then repeat to yourself it's just a show,
    I should really just relax-
    For Mystery Science Theater 3000!

3. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I preferred the old Joel episodes to the Mike Nelson ones. But that's not to say Mike's episodes were bad. They were good too.

I managed to get my parents addicted to MST3K along with myself.

4. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    This show was one of the best things to ever air! I remember them viewing "Manos", which was so bad it's actually fun to watch. Crow used to crack me up, but I think the funniest moments were the complete silence, when the characters would all kind of glance at one another after something cheesy happened onscreen. I also remember their Godzilla viewing, when the little girl in the dub kept asking for a Coke! AARGH I miss that show!

5. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Classic series, liked the movies that they did that had some lame monster in it. Untamed Youth is probably my favorite one.

Saw them in person many times. Even saw them in two live shows.

6. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I love MST3K.

I still put on an old taped episode late at night.

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Best damned premise for a TV series-ever. We all do it at home, but these guys got paid to riff on old movies.

8. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Unfortunately, I didn't start watching this show until the end of its run (seasons 8-10). :( But I do have tapes from those days and still watch them every once in a while. This is definately one of the funniest shows ever made.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

9. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2005
    One of the funniest episodes I remember was when the guys watched "MITCHELL", an '70s crime drama w/ Joe Don Baker. Saw the actual movie years later one Sunday afternoon while channel surfing. Couldn't stop laughing thinking about the MST3K gang and thier great "commentary". Highly suggest fans search this one out. A classic (MST3K episode, that is).

10. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I love the Hobgoblins episode because of all the 80s references. My favorite bit in the episode is when they keep turning eachother on because of the song 'I Didn't Mean to Turn You On'.

11. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Yeah the Hobgoblin one is pretty funny. I was on the floor when the Goblins were driving the gold cart.

12. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Normal view ... NORMAL VIEW!!!

13. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Oh man, I love MST3K! :D

Didn't catch them when they were first out but now a friend of mine and I are collecting the DVD sets and watching them one by one.

I love Manos and the haunting Torgo theme, but my recent favorite has got to be Prince of Space, a badly overdubbed Japanese children's show turned movie.

Hobgoblins was so bad! So eighties and written by a thirteen year old boy with only one thing on his mind it seemed. :rolleyes:

I still can't decide if I like Mike or Joel better, though I think Tom Servo's probably my favorite robot, though just by a bit.

Great show and props to the creators for taking something everyone does and making money off of it. Now that's genius. [face_idea]

14. Honor_And_Liberty

Honor_And_Liberty Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    "Pod People" is my favorite episode. ;)

I've recently been purchasing MST3K DVD collections, and I'm havin' a ball watching them over again. Good clean fun to occupy some spare time.

I like both Mike and Joel episodes about equally, but sometimes Pearl gets on my nerves. >_>

15. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I love this series - my friends and I almost died laughing watching Gorgo on MST several years back. [face_laugh] The way they pick the movies apart and the comments are just plain awesome.

16. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Manos had me rolling on the floor too. I thought the scene where the girls fight and they mention the Monty Python group re-enacting some famous battle was hilarious.

Prince of Space was awesome too. He can't be harmed by weapons but he kept ducking! lol

17. Ekkostar

May 25, 2005
    Wasn't Space Mutiny the one with the Stevie Nicks-esque witches are dancing around those static electricity globes from Spencer Gifts and the captain that looks like Santa Claus?

Another one that begs to be in my DVD collection is Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.
    Hey! Look! A Raulbik's Cube!

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I have seen these on T.V., but I don't have any DVDs. What episode should I buy first?

19. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Start with "Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Essentials" dvd. It has Manos: The Hands of Fate and Santa Clause Conquers the Martians. Then if you like those two, buy MST3K Vol 1. It has four episodes on it. Then continue up until volume 8 since it's the most recent one. ;)

20. Ekkostar

May 25, 2005
    I really wish that someone would have the sense to bring the reruns back to TV.

G4 is currently in the process of rebranding themselves, maybe they might pick it up in the future. The only problem is the movie rights.

21. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Both of these are my favorite episodes! I hadn't ever seen MST3K, only heard of it until I moved in with my roomate and he had one of the DVD volumes, and I aboslutely love them now. Space Mutiny and Overdrawn are just so quotable, and there were so many parts where I can't stop laughing.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I just bought MST3K collection volume 1 last Thursday and got around to watching it. Catalina Caper was so bad! And The Skydivers... Still can't figure out much beyond acid on a chute...

23. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm a big fan of the movie, but being in Australia, I haven't seen much of the series. But my plan is to get all the DVD collections, hopefully.

24. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    My favorites are Mitchell, Pod People, and Gamera vs. Guiron.

25. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    They usually come out with two volumes a year. I expect Volume 9 to pop up in the Spring. Can't wait to see which episodes they put on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.