main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by HL&S , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I have Manos: The Hands of Fate waiting for me at home. When I get a chance I will post my full review. :p

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Permission to make fruity philosophical statements, sir? MST3K was so good? and beautiful. And the wisest? and best? is to watch these episodes that are both good? and beautiful. [face_laugh]

The market for that show is incredible. Anybody can appreciate it. The appeal is universal. If they could find enough crappy movies (and the way Hollywood is going nowadays, there?s not gonna be a shortage), it could go on for millennia. I blame the fact that SciFi does not run its channel very well. Heck, they could make a new MST3K just out of the junk SciFi puts on most of the time.

My brother and I have accumulated a whole bunch of tapes purely with episodes of it. I?d like to start buying DVDs too, but I can only think of one store in my area that sells ?em, I don?t get down there all that often. Prince of Space is one of my favorites too.

Plus, if you have enough sarcastic friends, you can do it yourself! I tore apart a recent video in Psychology class in that style.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Not sure if I'm looking forward to that or dreading it...

4. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I wish we would get some news on the upcoming box set.

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I've seen Manos, Attack of the Giant Leeches, & TimeChasers.

I find that I like the older episode better. The ones that are made in 1997 and '98 are my favorites. They're just more funnier for me.

6. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I love MST3K so much, I made an appreciation thread in the jCC!

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/23716541/p1/?6

7. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I'm still waiting on news for the next box set.

8. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I'm still waiting for a network to ressurect the show.

:(

9. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Awesome show. I loved Sean Connery's brother, Neil Connery's spy movie, Operation Kid Brother. MST3000, only made it funnier.

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    yeah, cuz it's not like we're gonna run out of bad scifi movies any time soon...

11. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Heck I wish some network would at least air reruns from both Mike and Joel eras. Some network I have anyways. . .

12. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Is MST3K still on SciFi? I used to catch an episode every now and then, but I haven't seen it on TV in quite some time. Thank goodness for the DVD sets...

13. MatRags

Feb 5, 2001
    Not anymore.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just watched The Crawling Hand, thanks to Netflix.

Not that great actually. Very early episode and it shows. That said there were still a few laugh out loud great moments:

"I have touched the unclean thing."

"The Professor was right . . ." "Dogs CAN fly!"

15. macevspalpy113

macevspalpy113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I consider myself lucky to have Beginning of The End on DVD. It was discontinued due to copyright issues.

"You know, when I was a boy, we didn't *have* fast movies. Sometimes, we had to wait three or four *hours* for something to happen!" -Mike.

16. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Oh how I miss the Joel episodes...and my Crow t-shirt. :(

17. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    So I haven't heard anything about the next volume for MST3K. Does anyone have any info on it or when it might be released?

18. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Nevermind, I just got volume 9. Strange because none of the regular websites said anything about its release date which apparently was at the end of May. Glad I checked.

Just got finished watching Women of the Prehistoric Planet. Terrible terrible film that didn't really have women of a prehistoric planet oddly enough. It was one of the really early MST3K's with Weinstein voicing Tom Servo.

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Women of the Prehistoric Planet is in my Netflix queue at the moment. I think beside The Crawling Hand it's the only first season episode on DVD, isn't it?

20. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^It's just a shame because of copyright issues, there can't be season sets.

21. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I wondered why there weren't season sets! Thanks.

And man, that sucks.

22. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    I have season ten on DVD, and I watch them regularly. I'm saving up to buy all the box sets. How I do love this show.

There's a line on season ten's movie "Track of the Moonbeast" where a Native American is listing the ingredients for his stew.

"Onions, tomatoes, chicken, corn..."
    Crow: "...hair..."

My friend and I use this all the time. It works for so many coversations.

23. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^There are "certain" places on around the net where you can buy shows that aren't in the box sets.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I just finished Women of the Prehistoric Planet which reached a zenith when one of the characters finally moaned, "Why is this called Women of the Prehistoric Planet? It makes no sense." He was right; there are no women of the prehistoric planet, though apparently there were some, nude of course, in overseas prints.

The movie itself was quite awful, but the fact that it's an early episode still shows. It was much better than The Crawling Hand.

Interesting thing, as each episode seems to have one of those lines that you just pick up and start using all the time.

Bloodlust gave me the derisive, "Uh . . . sir?" The Crawling Hand gave me a great conversation stopper: "I have touched the unclean thing." And Women of the Prehistoric Planet gave me a real show stopper, directed at the comic relief after he monopolizes the show for about three minutes with some truly terrible comedy, leading to the snapped off line, "He's a real child of hell."

Can't tell you how many times I've used the "Uh . . . sir?" one. Just trying to bring it back around, you know.

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    FYI, there's a metric ton of episodes on youtube. I just finished watching the Magic Voyage of Sinbad. According to the Amazing Colossal Guide, they loved doing that episode and found the movie to be quirky, yet endearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.