"Mystery" Trailer Discussion - Reactions

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Tropical_Plumber, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmm...i'm not ignoring you.

I never said "bad effects". I said they almost looked "too good." Which means they looked more videogamesque than TPM. Now, if the FX are even the equivelent of TPM, i'm happy. Like i said, maybe it's my monitor. But some of the effects look like TV effects, such as Babylon5. Not the CONTENT of the effects, but the EXECUTION of the effects. Now, this is Lucas, i'm sure it's all about detail.

Edit- Molerocket, that's exactly what i meant. Those tiny little details. I assume as well that they aren't the final touched up images. At least i hope so.
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    OK I know it's been said here a lot already but I finally saw the Mystery trailer and I thought it was amazing. I really liked how much more like the original trilogy it looked, yet still seemed a lot like TPM. Yoda looks great, all my worries about the CGI Yoda are now gone. Padme was good and seemed to have a bit more emotion behind her lines.

I am still worried a little about the CGI water. It looks GREAT in the first shot with the wave, but the other two, like the Breathing trailer, the water does not look real. This was the same problem with Perfect Storm. Some of the water scenes were freakin amazing and others looked downright bad.

All in all, it is a fantastic trailer that really focuses specifically on one thing and really conveys a sense of action amidst a dark undercurrent. All while not telling us anything major about the story. Yet another piece of brilliant marketing from Lucasfilm.
  3. Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    The "Mystery" trailer was excellent! One thing that strikes me about Obi Wan in the trailer is how much abuse he goes through in almost every scene. Obi Wan must jump through glass, slide through electric power couplings, get wet as a teabag when he fights Fett in the deluge, be restrained by Duku's energy shackles, and then be chained to a post in a dangerous arena. Obi Wan (and Ewan) must work hard for his Jedi pay! To top it all off, Obi Wan must manage an apprentice who rocks the galaxy.

On a related point, the mere fact that Obi Wan and Anakin are getting a dicey, dangerous workout in these action scenes tells me that AOTC will be radically different in tone from TPM. And thank goodness!

I can sum it all up in reference to the energy fields. In TPM, Obi Wan and Qui-Gon didn't dare ram through the energy fields blocking them from Darth Maul. Whereas, in AOTC, Obi Wan and Anakin are flying right through electric fields at 300 mph. Sure, the energy fields might be different in their danger level in each of the instances, but I think you get my drift: Lucas and company are putting our heroes in AOTC through a licking they were denied in TPM. We're taking off the kid gloves in AOTC and looking at a violence level closer to ESB or the Indy Jones movies.

The softener -- the light touch -- in AOTC will not be Jake Lloyd's cutisms or Jar Jar's clumsiness. Rather, AOTC will soften its edge with a, hopefully credible, story of romance between Anakin and Padme and the swashbuckling wit of Obi Wan and Anakin. Hopefully, cute armies of Ewoks and thousands of Gungans will be barred from entering AOTC. Instead of "Come on Ani, let's go and play ball!", we'll see Anakin and Obi Wan fly, strut, and fight through the rough streets of Coruscant. Yes, we'll tolerate a Gungan here and there; we welcome shots of kid Jedis in training; cloned children who become troopers (my speculation)are an interesting sci-fi element; and a story of love between a young man and woman is a welcome addition to the themes of Star Wars. The spirit of youth, romance, and adventure have always driven Star Wars films, GL projects, and pulpish serials in general. The kiddie jokes and silly humor of TPM do not constitute the essence of youth and adventure, as GL has shown us in his previous movies.

Of course, a trailer is a vehicle of deception. You never know what is truly inside the film until you enter it. As we might have learned from personal experience, the worst movie may have one of the most captivating trailers. We might have seen Obi Wan's best line, "Good job" in the last second of the trailer. Ten minutes of poorly constructed dialogue prior to that scene could ruin the power of that joke. I like to think that we have not heard the best of Anakin in the "Mystery" trailer. While his presence and moves were impressive, his line delivery seemed a bit weak and his voice sounded oddly modulated.

But I am cautiously optimistic that AOTC will deliver where TPM failed. I do not think that I need to offer you the customary disclaimer of how much I truly loved TPM and that I am no basher. Yet, many of us have pointed out how TPM lacked some hallmark elements of the OT. And the duo of Obi Wan and Anakin seem poised to fill the goblets of wit that GL gave us in the form of Han Solo and Indiana Jones. The mere fact that Obi Wan yells at his apprentice shows that the characters will be portrayed more freely and less stiffly in AOTC. In TPM, GL wrote Obi Wan to deliver classic British tart humor: "You were right about one thing, master: The negotiations were short." But often Obi Wan's lines in TPM came off as sour, not tart. In AOTC, Obi Wan will hopefully show us the range of his voice and character.

A note on coloring: I saw a great deal of blue in the "Mystery" trailer. Padme's apartment is the blue of Naboo, the lightning bolts are blue, the water is blue, and the list goes on. I suppose that the solid red and blue interiors of Coruscant offices and apartments fit with the corporate, bureaucratic monotony motif. But, considering how ev
  4. Raz Zaphon Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd just like to point out that it's a little unfair to compare not even a teaser, but a half-teaser trailer to LotRs FULL THEATRICAL teaser.

That's all, thank you.
  5. theTrueMolerocket Jedi Knight

star 1
    One more thing---I think when Anakin drives through the power couplings, we are not seeing recklessness; we are seeing HUBRIS. Another element borrowed from classic epics--having an overblown opinion of one's strength or ability; likening onesself to a god. Maybe he also gets a rush from the feeling of POWER. Either way, I noticed that he flies right through them with a calm, straight face while Obi Wan's freaking out.
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Good point about hubris. In the ROTJ novelization, it is mentioned as what brought Obi-Wan down (his believing he could train Anakin like Yoda).
  7. Achtung_Bubba Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not just the novelization...

"I thought I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."
  8. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with CrimsonJedi's point about Padme's apartment. It was very blue, i thought i was looking at Star Wars Insider photos.
  9. Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    At 0:35 in the trailer, we see Obi Wan brandishing his saber against a guy in a cantina/night-club. One thing that strikes me in this shot (other than the sultry, pulsating visual density of the club) is the human-centric composition of the club. Almost everybody, if not everybody, chilling in that club is human. Even if one can find some alien patrons in this shot or in future shots of the club, I think it is telling that the club is dominated by humans. Lucas usually throws in a plethora of aliens in social settings. In ANH, the cantina was mostly alien. In ROTJ, Jabba's palace also was slim on humans. In TPM, the Pod Race audience, the Senate, and the planet Naboo were all extremely diverse in alien species. This social setting seems dramatically different from the above examples. It is meaningful that no aliens are patrons in this club in AOTC. Perhaps the Jedi's trail leads them to an exclusive, all-human club, where the help and entertainers are all alien, but the clientele exclusively human. Sounds like the Star Wars version of the Cotton Club. Combined with the fact that Palpatine becomes the galaxy's number one xenophobe, I think this club is a harbinger of things to come.

On an aesthetic level, though, I am RELIEVED to see a crowd scene where humans are a clear majority. I hope Lucas doesn't turn all those pretty ladies and handsome guys in the club into bulbous CG rubber-suits. I think that the audience needs a visual respite from the intensity of diverse alien populations in every shot.

Moreover, since Episode II is a love story between humans, a sexy, human night-club scene could get the (entirely human) audience pumped up for some hormonal romance. Of course, the love between Anakin and Padme is no night-club one-night-stand. Yet, the sexy human night-club scene could get us in the mood. Just like Leia's dressing like a slave girl set the audience up for some loving between Han and Leia, so too does a sexy human night club get the audience in the mood for love. Let's put it this way: GL can set the audience up hormonally for a human love story much better through a night club scene with hot guys and girls smooching, shimmying, and getting jiggy than through a night club scene with two Hutts getting busy in the center of the dance floor, while eating frog-like creatures, chomping off their heads, and spitting the entrails on the humans dancing beside them.

And, of course, the night-club scene lets Star Wars appeal to the MTV generation. I just hope that the dancing is better choreographed than Wald's and Kitster's victory butt-wagging and arm-flailing that we saw at the Pod Race in TPM.
  10. JackomackIGOr Jedi Padawan

I just wanna know if there's any way possible to save the "Mystery" trailer to the hard drive. I wanna keep it :D
  11. cydonia Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You mean the Cantina sequence from ANH? Is there a difference between the two scenes?
  12. Raz Zaphon Jedi Master

star 4
    CJ, try watching Making of 5, there will be non-humans in the nightclub. But there will be a large proportion of human clubers. The reason for that is that every available crew member was used for that scene. You'll be able to spot several people from the closing credits in every other shot for that sequence.
  13. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    I loved it all. :)

..except..

Kenobis' voice sounded like a Scott. ;)

Which I admit, I liked.

Must go and watch it again.
  14. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I was told Kazaa.com has the trailer online there. You can save it from that site. I got my DVD-ROM drive, so I don't have to worry about that, so for your own use and if you own the DVD I would think you'd be entitled to it???

If I need to edit this please let me know.

I was quite blown away by the trailer! Looks alot better than TPM!
  15. JediGroove Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just saw trailer, I like it alot! :D
  16. Tessek's BodyGuard Jedi Knight

star 1
    After looking at "Mystery" Frame by Frame it appears that the alien on the whale has a long neck. Could this be the return of Yarael Poof?

Speaking of the whale, this must be the flying whale that George had wanted in the original trilogy at some point. It was mentioned on the OS a month ago that it would be in AOTC.

I can't see any FX that looked bad to me. Of course, I look at all films understanding that they will never be perfect. They all have flaws. Even the power and technology that ILM posess, there will still be shots that aren't 100% perfect.

When I first saw Yoda in "Breathing", he looked too grey, but now he looks a healthy shade of green, as usual.

And I believe the voice over at the start is the Australian actor Jack Thompson.
  17. Sebulba49 Jedi Knight

star 1
    WOW! Awesome trailer! I have such high hopes for AOTC now... It really does seem like the best of the best from ANH and ESB.

Here's something you might find entertaining: after you've watch the trailer about 4,000 times, watch it while fast-forwarding throughout. The music sounds pretty normal, only fast, but this will probably be your only chance to hear Obi-Wan say "Good job." with a helium-modified voice.
  18. MountainMan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    O.K., I finally saw the hi-res QuickTime version of the trialer, acquired through-- how shall I put it?--"unofficial" channels. Anyway, after having given it a good look, here are my thoughts:

-The characters of Padme and Obi-Wan seem to have grown quite a bit and the actors seem to have grown into the roles. Padme has a passion and fire to her that reminded me a lot of Leia in ESB, and Obi-Wan's presence is much stronger even when he isn't speaking. These developements are totally consistent as in TPM we had a young apprentice and a teenage Queen and now the characters are more mature and self-assured.

I'm not sure what to make of Anakin. He seems rather dull and emotionless, much like Obi-Wan in TPM. Now whether this is intentional and is a trait common to all padawan learners or is simply a young actor trying to fit into a larger than life film, I'm not sure. The way everybody was talking about Hyden Christianson's star potential, I guess I was expecting something a bit more dynamic out of the kid.

-There are small nuances that speak of deeper a layer to the story. For instance, watch Obi-Wan's expression when Anakin says to Padme, "We will find out who is trying to kill you, Padme. I promise." Obi-Wan looks like he could bite nails! He obviously doesn't approve. I think we're going to see some tension between these two.

-Was every shot of Yoda CG or was a puppet used in some scenes? I know the walking Yoda is CG, but when he says, "Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is," is that a puppet or CG? I really can't tell!

-The effects look stunning all throughout. Even the water scenes look great! Lucas set the bar with TPM and it looks like he's raising the stakes another notch.

-Digital cinema is the way to go. After seeing the teaser and the Mystery trailer, nobody should have any doubts about the future of hi-definition video used for making movies. The brief glimpses in the trailers look as good as anything shot on film!

-I like the humor in this film. I liked the humor in TPM, too, but AoTC seems a little more old-school Star Wars, which should make some folks happy.

It looks like Lucas has done it again!
  19. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    Hayden seems to be trying to speak the same way Vader does.
  20. muymaul Jedi Knight

star 2
    I enjoyed the teaser very much. It gives a nice preview to the movie which should be great!

I do find it funny that people are already judging the performances based on 1 minute of a movie that will probably be 2 1/2 hours long! Just enjoy the preview that we are getting now and remember that this is a tiny fraction of the whole movie.
  21. Achtung_Bubba Jedi Knight

star 1
    Our analysis (like the analysis of the TPM trailers) makes the analysis of the Zapruder film seem, well, rather hurried.

Down and to the left...
    Down and to the left...
    Down and to the left...

<snif> You guys make me so proud. :cool:
  22. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You can't really judge Hayden's few lines in the trailer to show what kind of an actor he is. Especially when GL and everyone else who worked with him said Hayden is amazing. :)

I wager my new racing pod that LFL is hiding the best Anakin scenes until at least the final trailer, possibly even the movie itself.
  23. MountainMan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I do find it funny that people are already judging the performances based on 1 minute of a movie...

It's called speculation, and why the hell shouldn't we have fun with the trailers? I was judging Hyden's performance based on the trailer, which showed clips from several different scenes, and his performance was consistent leading me to believe that this is a good indication of how Anakin will be portrayed in the final film.

But again, it's just speculation. I love The Phantom Menace and am eagerly awaiting Attack of the Clones, but all I have right now is about a minute and a half of footage to watch. If you don't enjoy speculative threads then don't read them. But for me it's all part of being a fan of the series.
  24. JediDa-cam18 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think its unfair to already critique Hayden based on a few lines which personally I didnt see any problem. To me what I saw was a line between an obedient Jedi Padawan and and the kid we once saw in TPM. I think hes perfect for the role in that he can potray a good man yet I could see him easily turning to the darkside and betraying the Jedi.

25. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think, as someone has said, that the creture on the Whale is Yareel Poof, which leads me to think he's gonna kick some ASS in this film!

Oh, and has anyone noticed that what looks like a bird at first glace in that first shot of the waterworld is really the flying whale with Poof of it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.