"Mystery" Trailer Discussion - Reactions

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Tropical_Plumber, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Garrett Jedi Knight

In regard to Obi or Anakin jumping after the droid, didn't it say that Anakin was hanging from an orb, over Coruscant, in the description of the trailer in front of Harry Potter? I saw that glimpse of Obi hanging in Breathing. I just really hope it is Anakin because, like I said, it would take away SOME of the implausibility.
  2. Vanda Jedi Master

star 4
    "I can't see why Obi or Anakin would jump out the window. Although if it were Anakin, instead of Obi, it wouldn't be as unbelievable; he's trying to get the droid that tried to kill the woman he has the hots for and also maybe trying to impress her. That would show his recklessness."

-------------------------------------------------------

From ESB:

YODA (to Luke)
    You are reckless!

OBI-WAN
    So was I, if you remember.

-------------------------------------------------------

Obi-Wan considers himself reckless when he was a youth. So it could be Obi-Wan (just as easily as Anakin) being stupid and jumping out of window (most likely) miles above the ground.

EDIT:
    "And as for "Why Obi-Wan" because it shows he is brave, daring and brash and it isn't just when it is someone he cares about being threatened."

I like that explanation too, naw ibo. It's a Jedi's job to take risks to protect the innocent.
  3. Darth Garrett Jedi Knight

4. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    ARGH! Vanda, I was just about to say that! Oh well, now the ignorant shall see. :D
  5. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Gry:

That is a very valid point. If I may quote someone (who I won't mention the name of in fear of getting teased):

"On the contrary, Doctor. I always hope for the best. Experience, on the other hand, has taught me to expect the worst."

:D
  6. Vanda Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL Sithman. Funny thing is, I took my time finding the exact quote and typing it up. You coulda beaten me to it easily! 8-}
  7. Qey Santim Jedi Knight

star 1
    THX,

Yoda IS certainly moving! Are you watching Trailer 3 or something? ;)

The scene shows him walking towards Padme in someone's apartment or office or something. His clothes are moving all over the place...and quite unnaturally. Go have a quick look.
  8. bleh19 Jedi Master

star 4
    He looks fine...

The only reason he stands out is b/c he is the only person in the room not wearing dark robes...
  9. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    One reason as to why he stand out while walking, we've not seen his legs move while walking before.
  10. Qey Santim Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, we saw about as much in TPM (scene with Obi-Wan). Maybe it was due to the camera angle, but that shot was a less distracting than this one in Mystery...still even that shot was a ways from "real."
  11. SirKnightLord Jedi Knight

star 3
    THX, the very ironic thing is that I just watched what that quote was from last night. :cool:
  12. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Qey:

Oh!!!! I understand now. I thought you were talking about the closeup of Yoda. Okay, I see what you mean now. I agree, it does look like it needs work. :)

SirKnightLord: That's awesome! :D I probably didn't get the exact wording right, it has been quite a while since I watched that one.
  13. SirKnightLord Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually if memory serves correctly the wording was on the dot. ;)
  14. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh really? Cool! :cool:

:D Everyone else is probably completely lost. [face_laugh]
  15. Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Before I go any further are we sure that's not Anakin?

Well, if you look close enough, there's no question that it's Obi-Wan.

First, go to that shot in the Mystery trailer. Check out the very last frame before it cuts into the next shot, and you can kinda see the face. It's very blurry if you make it big, but you can see the arms -- it's a white tunic under a greyish-brown cloak.

Now, check out the shot in the Breathing trailer where Obi-Wan's hanging in mid-air. Check out his arms. It's the same clothing! Conclusive proof that it's Obi-Wan there.

But the one thing about that shot (in the Mystery trailer) that really bugs me is the thing that the droid does to the window. What is that square... that's what I'm wondering.

--Mr. P
  16. Crimson_Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    1) Yoda - The digital rendering of Yoda was adequate, if not excellent, for me. When I saw the "Breathing" trailer, the thought that Yoda was CG didn't even cross my mind. I loved the CG shot of Yoda walking and talking to Obi Wan in the one of the final scenes of TPM. A CG version of Yoda walking around is far superior to Warwick Davis hopping around in a rubber suit, which is what we saw in TPM when Yoda, Mace, and the rest of the Jedi Council deplaned onto Naboo. Is CG Yoda better than Frank Oz? Of course, we only have four seconds of footage on which to base a judgement. I vote that CG Yoda is fine.

No one need get hung up on the irreplacability of Frank Oz's puppeteering. Oz's voice, in my opinion, is more essential to the persona of Yoda than his movement. And Oz's puppeteering can only produce a footless Yoda. When Oz is on board, everytime Lucas wants to show Yoda's feet, he has to use CG. But the blocking and editing of the scene is then limited by Oz's footage; there are more moving parts in the scene, making it possibly more difficult to reign in. As for animating Yoda's face, I trust Rob Coleman and company at ILM to study Oz's body of work as Yoda and possibly do a better job than Oz at portraying our green Jedi master.

I am more concerned about how GL uses Yoda in AOTC. I understand from interviews with Lucas that Yoda will fight in Episode II. I hope that the audience won't be laughing at the little green guy's chops. Rather than see Yoda jump around and fight like Obi Wan and Anakin, I'd like to see Yoda use massive PSI powers to drop-kick hundreds of enemies without even moving his feet.

2) The Love Story -- In an earlier post, I voiced concern about the credibility and quality of Anakin/Padme love story, based on the Hit and Miss non-spoiler spy report of 9/25/01. As I have stated before, I agree that rough cut footage and shots without music are no way to judge the love story aspect of Episode II. Romantic scenes with no music, as I have seen in documentaries about films, seem trite and laughable. But, add music to the movie and the lovers fly to the moon. But, if Episode II is going to have an Achille's heel, I imagine that Lucas is going to have some difficulty telling a nuanced love story -- the kind of love story that helps explain why "the kindest boy in the galaxy" goes Vader and assists in killing billions of beings (Alderan and other unnamed/unknown atrocities). The love stories in the Young Indy shows weren't all that great. And the love stories in the Indy Jones movies with Harrison Ford were fun, but nowhere near as complex and central to the plot as the Anakin/Padme love story will have to be. The female star in the Indy movies basically functioned as a James Bond girl. Getting the relationship between Anakin and Padme right on the big screen is far more challenging -- and even film directors who excel at telling such stories would have a hard time doing so. And GL, as much as I love his work, gets more excited about high-tech movie-making than low-tech dramatic performance. So I've got my fingers crossed on the romantic interest aspect of AOTC.

Even if this week's trailer, which will focus on the romantic aspects of AOTC, turns out to show a good love story, I won't let GL completely off the hook on this account until May.

Nevertheless, even if GL strikes out on the love story in May, I'll probably forgive him. I never watched Star Wars for romance and that stuff. I want to see Obi Wan kick Fett's ass! I want to see Anakin raising hell! I want to see Mace Windu open up a can of Jedi whoop ass! But Lucas has devoted to make a movie with a strong love interest, so I sure as hell hope he doesn't bomb that part of the movie, thereby spoiling the cool action parts.

3) Anakin's Voice -- Fine, we can't judge yet. It's too early. But I'm not going to accept apologies like, "Oh, Hayden's trying to sound like Jake Lloyd," or "Oh, Hayden's trying to sound like Vader." Face it: Jake Lloyd was no model for voice acting; he did a crappy job and that might not have been his fault (per
  17. Darth-Mouth Jedi Master

star 4
    Mr. P, I think that droid can burn a hole in the glass and that's what the square is.

I think the Obi-Wan jumping thing is cool. My only question is why is HE in Padme's room guarding her and not Anakin? I'm sure there will be an explanation.

Also...Obi-Wan has a thing about not letting his enemies escape.

"Your highness, if you fail to get the viceroy he will return with another droid army."

Also, he has little regard for his own well being.

"Escape is not his plan......"

"So was I [reckless] if you remember"

So it makes sense that he'd jump out a window. I'm just wondering what he was thinking when he did. Suppose when he grabbed onto the droid it crashed!! What would THAT mean for HIM??

I think he grabs onto the droid to see where it is going. Just my humble opinion.
  18. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am thinking that square is some sort of glass cutting laser, so the droid can stealthily enter the room and kill Padme.

Crimson_Jedi- Your theories are great, but it is "requested," not "required of us." ;)
  19. snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What I'm really wondering about is this:

At the end of the trailer when Obi Wan and Padme are chained up, and Anakin has just been captured... what is stopping Anakin? What forces are off camera that are preventing him from just cutting them free and leaving?

!snap
  20. THX_Princess Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Probably has something to do with that ugly winged alien right next to Anakin..wonder what planet those guys are from! :)
  21. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    He probably isn't in Padme's room when the thing is coming in. He and Anakin, according to the scene in the trailer, are assigned to protect Padme. Most likely they would stand guard outside her door. Logically that is what usually happens. She's a young woman, a Senator, they aren't going to be in her bedroom when she is sleeping. Then the thing starts cutting open the window and we see Padme wake up, she probably yells for help--her two guardians run into her room and Obi-Wan jumps out the window.
  22. QuiGonJinn Jedi Knight

star 2
    If that droid was going to kill Padme it would either do it physically or with a laser-blast. Obi-Wan could have deflected the laser-blast right back at it, or sliced the thing once it entered the room (glass-cutter theory makes sense). He didn't have to jump out the window. He also wouldn't have to throw something AT IT, he could throw IT.

There very well may be a logical explanition for him diving out a 7thousandth floor window, but I don't think the "reckless" theory is it. He is definitely the grounded one, out of him and Ani (him and Qui-Gon too).

Even if there's no explanation for it, I won't mind. It is cool.

EDIT: Wait a minute. He wasn't after the droid. He jumped out the window cause she woke up and nearly caught him watching her sleep again (at least I hope that was all he was up to). He should thank his lucky stars there was a droid there this time.
  23. Beowulf Force Ghost

star 5
    All I can say is WOWIE!!!
  24. naw ibo Force Ghost

star 5
    Maybe it releases a gas? Obi-Wan couldn't deflect that. And he certainly wouldn't want to wait for that to come into Padme's room.

It also wouldn't lead him to the droid's owner. Think of it like ESB, remember when the droid self destructed because Han tried to stun it, it helped lead the Empire to them. In TPM Qui-Gon's destroying the droid(or rather in the cut scene in which Qui-Gon would have been seen destroying the droid) helped lead Maul to them.

In this case, destroying the droid or disabling it wouldn't allow Obi-Wan to track down who was behind the assassination attemps.
  25. theTrueMolerocket Jedi Knight

star 1
    'ilm has yet to deliver a yoda with character, personality, etc etc'....

THEY HAVE YET TO DELIVER A YODA AT ALL, you nitwit. a second of walking away from camera in tpm doesn't count.

and his clothes look FINE.

thx princess, i'm wracking my brain to figure out where the quote is from. i know i've heard it...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.