main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Myth and religion in SW

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rossa83, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I could use a little help. I may have the luxury of writing a master thesis on SW - myth and religion in star wars that is. But I simply cannot find any good literature on it. You know how those scholars are, if it isn't scientific, it's worth absolutely nothing.
    Does anyone know anything about such literature, either in form of books or serious articles? I would be grateful for any help you could give.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    There's a book that came out around 1997 called Star Wars: The Magic of the Myth (which coincided with the exhibit in Washington DC at the time). Other than that, I believe there were a few nonfiction SW books that dealt with some of this material released in April (all unauthorized, of course).

3. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Thanks, I'll look that up. If anyone else know more, please note so;)

4. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    There are three more that I know of. There could be more.

STAR WARS AND PHILOSOPHY by Kevin S. Decker

STAR WARS: THE NEW MYTH by Michael J. Hanson & Max S. Kay

THE DHARMA OF STAR WARS by Matthew Bortolin

5. I_Heart_WessHar

I_Heart_WessHar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    Something by Joseph Campbell might be good too, since he was a friend of Lucas' and did all that work on the Hero Cycle, of which he considered everyone's favorite farmboy a pretty good example. And Han and Vader and others had their own symbolic meanings too, if I remember correctly.

6. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    [image=http://www.yessaid.com/pic/thehero2.jpg]

here it is

7. I_Heart_WessHar

I_Heart_WessHar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    Yeah, that! I've never had the chance to read it myself, but one of my high school English teachers showed us a documentary-type interview.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I don't thing you actually need anything on the topic as such - do you?

Campbell is obviously important, as are any books directly discussing SW in these terms, but your aim is surely to look at SW within a specific context; you need to work out what parts of SW you want to analyse (the movie story? The wider continuity? The aims of GL and the other creators? The audience response? The existing critical context? All of the above?) - but once you define the topic and your chosen context for looking at it, everything should be logical...

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    I remember seeing in USF's (university of south florida) online Library database, a book or someone's thesis paper that talked about ROTS.......here's the info about it from our library.

Allison, Michael Patrick.:
    Revenge of the sith /

Description
    Location: USF SPECIAL COLLECTIONS-Tampa -- USF Thesis and Dissertation Collection -- LD1801.F6h 2004 A535

It isnt checked out at the moment either.

If you want I can check it out and see if its useful for you.

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I noticed them on Amazon. But what makes them an official opinion, and are they based on a global perspective or just [face_flag]?

11. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    This is a bad thing how?

12. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Well, first thing is that much fiction actually contains scientific information. Some serious writers actually prefers writing fiction. Sadly they don't get as much credit from scholars...
    But yeah, I need scientific writing, so I guess it's a good thing;)

13. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    Thanks, but remember it's just my pre-searching, so that I can find out if I can actually write about it... So don't stress about it;) I think if I can write about it, it will be about the myth and religion as I said - the similarities with other myths and religions, and how they are captured and so on. My teacher was kind of intrigued by this, so I hope it will work.
    Thanks everyone

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I wonder why nobody mentioned it: THE CHURCH OF WARU!

sorry, had to say it

15. JarJarStink

JarJarStink Jedi Master star 1

Dec 15, 2003
    Campbell also did a series of interviews with Bill Moyers at Skywalker Ranch shortly before his death. The videos and transcript thereof entitled The Power of Myth, are available at most libraries. Campbell does refer to Star Wars several times in his discussion of the hero's journey, the construction of myth, and spirituality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.