main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mythological Clues to Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by There_Are_Four_Lights, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There_Are_Four_Lights

There_Are_Four_Lights Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    Knowing, as we know, the stock Star Wars puts in the old myths, it is well worth exploring the possibility that Episode VII may bear some resemblance to some ancient lore.

I'll begin with some half-remembered lore about Bearded Telemechus and his years-long walkabout, in which he set off to contend with some father issues.

Upon returning, he bore little resemblance to his old self, and his identity was established by the fact that he possessed some inside knowledge of the world he left behind.

The ghost of his father was involved, to some extent.

I detect some parallels with what we are hearing about Episode VII.

For starters, does anyone recall any myth about an old-time warrior reunited with his long-lost weapon?

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Arthurian legends-one of the biggest influences on SW as well as HP and LOTR.

3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The myth aspect is the one thing about Episode VII and the rest of the new trilogy I am worried could be lacking, due to Lucas not being around and JJ and Rian not being experts in mythogy themselves. Hopefully Kasdan brings some in, but in the OT I am not sure how much input he actually had on the myth.

darklordoftech and Echo Base like this.
  4. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Not exactly but there are a few where a broken weapon is reforged by a future generation (see Siegfried and also Tolkien.)

Often weapons are thrown away when a hero dies. (Arthur orders Belvedere to return Excalibur to the lake) and in some version of the Roland/Charlegmagne myth,either Roland throws Durendal all the way to Rocamadour or an angel conveys it there when he dies, where it can still be seen lodged in a cliff today:

[​IMG]

We know from interviews Hamill gave in the early 1980s that the sequel trilogy would be about passing "Excalibur" on to the next generation. Whether he meant that literally (physically handing over his lightsabre to his successor) or figuratively, we don't know at this stage.

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    As I've said in other threads, the first thing that popped into my head about the whole lightsaber-in-space thing is Excaliber. Those lucky ones who find the lightsaber could be the ones who symbolically pull the sword from the stone, deeming them worthy to continue with the trials in becoming part of the Jedi order and eventually the Jedi Council/Round Table.

The hand (although it will probably not be used thank heavens) could have been thrown around as a way to represent the Lady of the Lake.

In terms of overall mythology, Lucas consulted with Joseph Campbell. Arthur was a huge influence as was the structured "Hero's Journey" which had been discussed on another thread now buried several pages back.

I hope this thread stays open. As much as people want to discuss historical aspects of the Empire returning, it is equally important to discuss myth.

6. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    The Star Wars movies have countless influences, with the majority of them coming soley from various movies and Saturday morning serials from the 30's and 40's.

But if you look closer at various myths around the world and pick up a Joseph Campbell book to learn more you'll realize how influentially powerful mythology plays a role in the essence of Star Wars.

If other movies and shows influence the spirit of the movies then mythology frames that spirit together.

Dewback and Darth Eddie like this.
  7. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    Jason and the Argonauts. Luke is Jason the Argonauts are his Jedi.

8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    The once and future king, who returns when needed the most. Similar to Luke, if he is missing at the outset of VII?

Dak Oolron and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Especially if he is found on the island of Skellig, which may be reminiscent of Avalon. It is even Celtic!

10. KnightStorm

KnightStorm Jedi Knight

Jul 31, 2014
    Does this mean he could have a "Mordred-like" son?

11. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Could well do! Also, someone who read Joseph Campbell mentioned somewhere on this board that the end of the hero's arc is where he becomes "master of two worlds", conquering death and coming back or something along those lines. I've not read Campbell but could someone who has done so please elaborate on this?

12. darthRebel

darthRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2004
    I think Luke will be like a Merlin character either disappearing into the wilderness of the forest orn living as a recluse on somekind of rotating Island. He will be the goal of the search and the impulse that incites the search. It will probably be his destiny to become a spirit guiding the heroes on their path (the anima and animus characters, nl. the son of lando and daughter of han--> will lead to some funny conversations no doubt). Maybe in the second movie he leads them to Mara jade, where they will get extensive training.

13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Thank you for making this thread!

All over the world, myths recognize the value of the uncle, frequently positioning him an a role as mentor to the nephew. In this case it looks like it'll be a niece instead. Mark and Daisy alone on the call sheet for Skellig Michael indicates this illustratively.

14. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, I was actually learning about this just recently in relation to the Celts. A chieftain would most often pass on his inheritance to his nephew rather than to his own sons.

15. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007

Yeah, the Skellig Michael setting, the Tolkien-esque feel of Puzzlewood, and Luke's hippie wizard beard lead me to think they're really pushing the fairy tale/myth influences. I for one would love that!

Echo Base and Dak Oolron like this.
  16. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Maybe they found Alladins lamp in Abu Dhabi. :)

Dak Oolron likes this.
  17. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Just have to say: "Great thread'! ^:)^ I'm sure we will be able to fill in quite a bit as more of the story becomes known.

Echo Base likes this.
  18. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    I'll be honest...if Luke is gone for 30 years because he has daddy issues, then that will be disappointing. If anything he needs to embrace what happened to his dad and use that to train the next generation of Jedi. After reading that "myth" I'm thinking of Luke as that old fossil guarding the Holy Grail in the Last Crusade who can't even whip his sword around.

He looked pretty happy at the end of Return of the Jedi. Did he have a few too many beers at the celebration, wake up and start crying about Daddy instead of helping the Rebels destroy the Empire remnants? Come on Luke! Then again, Skywalkers do make bad decisions. Maybe Leia is a hooker on Coruscant?

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ulysses. Old-time warrior, missing for 20 years (of which 10 at the Trojan War and another 10 trying to find his way home), and finally identified when he is reunited with his bow, which only he can wield.

20. There_Are_Four_Lights

Apr 30, 2014
    The specificity of the weapon itself? Hmm.

I remember for ESB they considered having Luke be looking over Anakin's saber while recuperating on Hoth, and finding a talisman inside, that led him to Dagobah.

Could the finders of the Lost Saber find something in it, or on it, that would give them a place to start in their quest to find the owner?

Is this reminiscent of an old myth?

21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The giant pig from Abu Dhabi is probably the galactic Calydonian Boar.

22. There_Are_Four_Lights

Apr 30, 2014
    Just a thought ... Mark Hamill spent some time filming in Ireland recently ... if I would liken that atmosphere to anything, it might be Naboo ... what if Luke laid low there, perhaps to pick up some vibes about where his mom and pop fell in love?

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    also where his mom grew up and where the Emperor grew up.

24. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think Luke was smart enough to retire somewhere better than a desert or a swamp :p

But yes, I'd like the idea of linking the PT and the OT... Anakin/Padme/Luke/Leia stories, bonding as a family.

25. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I would and I wouldn't... We need lots oif screntime to explore new worlds, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.