main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

N.E.W.B.I.E. and newbie: a distinction

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Son of Kenobi, Jun 27, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of Kenobi

Son of Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 1998
    Well, I was going to save this topic for when
    I got my original S.I.T.H. post count back. It seems, however, that there is some confusion going on with the N.E.W.B.I.E. and newbie term. So here goes my attempt at clearing it up.

Let me start with the biggest misconception: all newbies are N.E.W.B.I.E.S.

Not at all.

To wit:

A newbie is a new member to the Council. Picture a little fawn, stretching its legs on the grass for the first time, its eyes big and dewy, looking around at the great new world it has entered... Well, okay, not quite, but I couldn't resist the imagery,

My point? We were all newbies once!

When is a newbie no longer a newbie? In my opinion, when a newbie has learned the history of the place, interacted with the people here, and contributed ably to the community, you're no longer a newbie. It just takes a little bit of time, and the gaining of respect, IMO. If a newbie has a good heart and is respectful and wants to contribute, s/he will be considered a cornerstone to the forum in no time at all. I've seen it happen time and again.

A N.E.W.B.I.E., however, is a:

Non
    Enlightened
    Weirdo
    Babbling
    Insults at
    Everyone

I have personally encountered N.E.W.B.I.E.S who have been around for months, as well as N.E.W.B.I.E.S. who are new to this forum. It's not time-specific, it's more of a
    state of mind.

N.E.W.B.I.E.S. prefer flames to actual posts, and often suffer from threads that feature a nifty little padlock adorning their red (soon to be yellow) thread folders, on account of
    the fact that their threads are insulting in
    one form or another.

Of course, not all N.E.W.B.I.E. threads are closed, as several N.E.W.B.I.E.s will post to it and give it the sheen of legitimacy,
    continuing their posts of idiocy, while
    refraining from offensiveness.

In that case, there are ways of dealing with N.E.W.B.I.E.S. I prefer ignoring them,
    as flames seem to gratify their desire for
    negative attention.

Of course, sometimes a N.E.W.B.I.E. may cross the line, and direct confrontation is the only way to go. It sort of depends.

Well, I hope this clears things up. This is just my opinion, based on months of observation. I'm sure some may disagree with my definitions, which is okay, since that's the beauty of this place.

N.E.W.B.I.E. was coined by Pyrus
    (Edit 7-29-99)

[This message has been edited by Son of Kenobi (edited 07-29-1999).]

2. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    I don't like the term newbie at all, I think instead of labeling all stupid people newbies they should be called what they are, stupid, idiotic and stuff like that.

And it should stop with all the teasing against newbies, they didn't do anything except find JC later then us

3. Pixel Novastar

Pixel Novastar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 1999
    ...'specially since "newbie" is an old hacker (or UseNet) term. It conjures up all sorts of derogatory definitions when you think of it. It basically implies that you're lacking severely in mental capacity. Of course, "newbies" lose that horrid stigma after they start proving themselves, making thoughtful posts and creative threads. It fades.

4. RUIN KAI

RUIN KAI Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 1999
    Great explanation SoK. Thanks for the public service announcement.

5. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    Thanks Ruin,

Yeah, newbie in itself is a bit of an insulting term, thanks Mon Cal and Pixel for your input.

6. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I would just like to point out some very disturbing examples of N.E.W.B.I.E behavior:

-excessive amounts of Natalie Portman threads

-turning innocent threads into chats about pointless things

-excessive sexual references everywhere

-sexist, racist and homophobic remarkss

-blank threads on purpose

-"For the ladies..." threads

-Administrator bashing

-repetitive threads in every forum

The N.E.W.B.I.E's ideals are these, not the newbies'.

[This message has been edited by Son of the Suns (edited 06-28-99).]

7. Jabba the Hutt

Jabba the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 1998
    NEWBIES are the trouble makers

8. iamurme2

iamurme2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 1999
    Since we're kind of one the topic of the whole membership thing, does anyone remember what S.I.T.H. stands for?

Great thread, SoK. Thanks for posting it.

9. Son of a Hutt

Son of a Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 1999
    Sick
    In
    The
    Head

10. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
  11. Jabba the Hutt

Jabba the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 1998
    Yes we were all newbies once...but back then we didn't go around doing stupid stuff like SOTS pointed out....not all newbies do that..its like what SOK pointed out.

12. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    Oh yeah, I just thought I say that the one
    who came up with the acronym "N.E.W.B.I.E."
    was the long-time JC member Pyrus.

Just tryin' to get all ya young'uns to know
    yer JC history! http://216.32.191.104/forum/

13. Shada

Shada Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2000
    I think they should have to take a test of some sort.

14. Son of a Hutt

Aug 17, 1999
    But who came up with SITH? I remember the thread but it would take me a while to find it because of these stupid page things.

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I don't like to brag (like I have anything to brag about), but I came up with the little known term "newbiephobia". Not like anyone really cares anyway.

16. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    SoaH, I think it was yavin44 or
    Jay.

Hahahha, that's funny SotS, I'll
    remember that one.

Whoa, the three "Sons" posting in a row! It's
    a sign of the apocalypse!!!! http://216.32.191.104/forum/

17. Scotch frisky

Scotch frisky Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 1999
    Is it true that if you're a new member, other members are more likely to ignore your threads? Just want to get that cleared up.

18. Homer Maddux

Homer Maddux Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 1999
    at least I'm not really a N.E.W.B.I.E.

I have a new acronym:
    Just
    Eccentric
    Demented
    Idiots

Try to find a use for that somewhere.

19. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    Son of Kenobi: Thank you for clearing that up for me.

20. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    SOK-good explanation I thought. Although as already written the name can sometimes be confused with people who are just new and still just finding the way.

As for the question SF asked I for one do not let a persons status prevent me from looking-if you are a Jnr and post good threads I will read or reply to them.

Although I cannot speak for others I think you will find those that have been here awhile do likewise. http://216.32.191.104/forum/

21. Son of Kenobi

Aug 21, 1998
    Scotch frisky, it kind of depends on the thread. If your thread hits a nerve, you'll get a lot of responses. Of course, that isn't always a good thing. I always give a lot of thought before I post a topic, but if you have something important to say, I think that length of membership doesn't really matter.

Your welcome, Lost in Coruscant, and
    thanks mutley, yeah, the name can be
    confusing.

22. Tiker Kotnom

Tiker Kotnom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2000
    http://216.32.191.104/forum/redface.gif Double post.

[This message has been edited by Tiker Kotnom (edited 07-16-1999).]

23. Tiker Kotnom

Tiker Kotnom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2000
    You know, I htink the SITH was created in some thread in Suggestions where everyone started doing funny acronyms . . . ahh, Suggestions . . .living under a false title. http://216.32.191.104/forum/ I just remebered that when I was thinking about the time I made some title out of LIGHTSABER. Ludicrous idiotic generic hords thriving starvingly about beer educated ravens I can almost guarantee you that was not what it was though. http://216.32.191.104/forum/

24. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Here's another distinction that I always make. An intelligent newbie will read existing threads and will respond to many threads before s/he ever posts a new topic.

99% of the time, if someone posts a new topic as his/her very first post, that person is a N.E.W.B.I.E.(moron). I hate to sound harsh, but that's the way it turns out.

That's because an intelligent person comes to the forums to learn something and to join in discussions. A N.E.W.B.I.E. moron comes to the forums to see his name on the index page and attract attention, and to see how many "hits" he can get on "his" thread.

25. Son of a Hutt

Aug 17, 1999
    I don't really ignore threads from younger members, but if someone that has been here a long time posts a thread I will probably read their thread even if it has a stupid title just because I know that it will probably be interesting.

I generally try to read whichever threads sound interesting, or if it says something about having a question for people. If it turns out to be stupid then I've only wasted a few seconds in opening it.

So basically I will read a thread if the title sounds interesting, or if I think it will be interesting based on who posts it. I'll also read a thread even if I don't recognize the person that posted it and if it has a stupid title if I see that it has been getting quite a few replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.