main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question N00b question

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by ZY-Fighter, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Hi all,
    I've been a member here for some time but only recently have I started taking part in discussions, almost always in the Sequel Trilogy and Anthology forums. I've noticed something that is making some posts very difficult to understand:

Why are there so many acronyms?

I can understand writing ANH and kinda get why you'd type SW. I struggle with name acronyms. Then there are acronyms for unofficial titles or unannounced films, and yet more I can't decipher and have to ask about.

Are Star Wars fans unable to write full names? Does the version of the forum they access have a character count? I imagine I'm in a minority but surely it's not too hard to write Lucasfilm or Daisy Ridley?

I'd be grateful for any advice more helpful than "get used to it". I like the community here but find this aspect tricky.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Acronyms just develop over time. There's not really any single reason behind it. Just like "Lol", "ROFL", and other terminology, they just kind of appear. There really isn't any good advice other than "Get used to it"; it's just something you'll pick up over time.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    It isn't only Star Wars fans who use acronyms, though. Search for ST:TOS and you'll find Star Trek: The Original Series. Or B5 for Babylon Five. It's simply a known shorthand.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    ZY-Fighter - we have a glossary of those here. :) Hopefully that will help.

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    DIJRHLWRA

Translation: Damn, I just realized how lazy we really are....

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ZY-Fighter We have a glossary that contains a somewhat current list of definitions and accronyms. Click HERE to visit the Glossary Thread

EDIT: I am slow Lady Belligerent beat me to the punch.

7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I agree whole heartily with the OP.

looking at the glossary page it seems noone has a clue what BBC is the abbreviation for...

British Broadcasting Coropration ?

Bail's (Organa) Birth Certificate?

(The) BB8 Bowling center?

help us out Bazinga'd :p

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Dandelo Lady Belligerent ZY-Fighter I think this thread has spawned a discussion between Skiara and I about the need to revise the acronym/glossary. So we are working on it. We will likely be soliciting everyone's input for suggestions/changes/revisions/additions/deletions to the list in the near future. So stay tuned.

9. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have to admit, even when I was a Mod, I found myself looking up some of them as I had no idea what they meant! You're not alone with the struggle mate ;) :p

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, struggling to understand what people are saying is part of the charm of this place. But "charm" may not be the right word.

Adalia-Durron and ZY-Fighter like this.
  11. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    This should be part of the glossary update. [face_rofl]

12. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I usually get things from context and play dumb (not a hard exercise) when I don't know.

Sent using Tapatalk this was!

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Huh? I don't get it.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    This is Sarge who is artfully demonstrating he is able to 'play dumb' when required. A Very good Jedi Trait. ;)

Sarge and DarthIshyZ like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Jedi trait? What are you talking about? I'm so confused! SHMP!

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    And now he's demonstrating how to make others 'feel' Dumb............o_O:rolleyes::p

DarthIshyZ and Sarge like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I admit, I just made that one up on the spot. Anybody want to take a guess at SHMP?

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you, Lady Belligerent - first thing I learned just now, was what AIM meant.

My own nightmare has extended beyond acronyms. A recent arrival at FanFic just blasts out merged character names from the EU, and expects people to know that he's shipped two people, and it isn't an individual character that we have forgotten about.

Sarge and Lady Belligerent like this.
  19. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Sith-I-5, I’m glad it helped. I refer to it fairly often. :)

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Pinned a New Thread Requesting Feedback on How to Improve. the WNU Glossary.

Lady Belligerent and Skiara like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Improe? Should we work on our spelling before we worry about expanding our vocabulary?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    ZY-Fighter, you are right about the abbreviation thingy. When one is new, it's hard to read some threads just like a book or so. That's why we have a glossary in WNU, to have a place that helps to understand those abbreviations without asking in public.

Why there are so many abbreviations? There are many reason and I don't know all of them for sure. Some are "being lazy", "just easier", "common knowledge" and so on, but one thing we don't have to forget is that it builds a community feeling. If you understand and use abbreviations like usual words, you are not "new" anymore and part of the community. Same with shortened usernames: There was one who cared enough to give you a nickname. So you are part of the community.

Of course, it would be easier for new members, if we avoid too many abbreviations. That's one reason why we use abbreviations in WNU carefully. We like to give a good start. But as said above, creating abbreviations is something that just happens and can't be avoided (not even in WNU*). With this very old forum and its very old community (some are here for over ten years, very soon even over twenty years), it's part of the forum. So, as hard and unsatisfying as it sounds there is just one thing you can do: Don't get frustrated about it, remember the glossary linked above and accept it as part of the forum slang. :)

Btw, it would be very cool, if you could check the request above about the feedback on the glossary thread! :)

*WNU = Welcome New Users (board)

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    So THAT's what IIRC means?!

I remembered IRC instant response chat, and figured it was related to that.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I have a new definition for you Sarge. Its Sarge Banned: Banned from TFN for being a wise-a@#

25. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Sarge's ass is wise? What happens when he sits down?

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.