main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Naboo in Episode VIII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jonipoon, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    We now have official confirmation that Episode VIII will film in the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
    http://thedubrovniktimes.com/news/dubrovnik/item/222-exclusive-star-wars-is-coming-to-Dubrovnik

Dubrovik share's a history with ancient Rome, and this legacy can be seen today in its architecture which has a very Italian vibe to it. And its no surprise, over the centuries both Italian and Venetian has been the most important trading languages there. Nontheless, Dubrovik has also been the center of distinctively Croatin culture.

What hit me almost instantly is that, because of this, Dubrovnik reminds me a lot of Naboo.
    Look for yourself in below photos and tell me if you can resist getting the Naboo vibe.... Because I can't.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just type in "Dubrovnik architecture" at Google for more.

Do you think its possible that we will return to Naboo in Star Wars Episode VIII?

2. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Holy ****! I'm from Croatia. You've no idea how happy I am!

3. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Get down to Dubrovnik!!

Croatia is a beautiful country, alot of Game of Thrones is shot there.

I'm not sure it will be Naboo, I think it will be a new Planet of some sort. But either way it should make for stunning viewing.

Evening Star likes this.
  4. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Hope not Naboo is my least favorite SW Planet.
    In Dubrovnik are tons of tourists, means there will be a lot of Spypics.

dekaneas likes this.
  5. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Starkiller base wasnt hoth, jakku wasnt tatooine so i dont think dubrovnik will stand in for naboo...more likely it will be a new planet. i can see the italian influence, sure, but there's also a medieval and mediterranean vibe to it, something less renaissance than the city of theed. And we still dont know what will be used on screen anf how...although i'd be surprised if they dont go there for the beautiful a Ischitecture. Is it possible they'll only film the surroundings/coast line and not the town? i doubt it but who knows...

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  6. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Here's some more beautiful shots, that makes me think of AOTC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghost likes this.
  7. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, the "its new but still not new"-thing is primary a JJ Abrams thing. We can only blame him for making TFA feel like a reboot. Rian Johnson on the other hand, has a thing for using established places.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    A very beautiful place and I like Naboo. But I'm not sure if Croatia will be Naboo in Episode VIII. Could be another planet.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  9. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, while the city of Theed looks quite fancy, Dubrovnik appears to have this more "used" feeling to it. Theed is the capital of Naboo, after all. There could be other cities that are not as "fancy".

S2N2 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    God I hope not... Worst planet ever conceived for a Star Wars film! That being said, if someone asked me what the most beautiful scenery ever put in a Star Wars film was - I would say the waterfall scene in AOTC :cool:

dekaneas likes this.
  11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Dubrovnik could be a new city on Naboo or a completely new planet.

S2N2 likes this.
  12. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Although I love Naboo, I don't care if it's that planet or a new one. I'm interested to see how they'll use Dubrovnik and transform it digitally.

Dewback and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  13. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    There is another planet, from The Clone Wars, that also had that mediterranean vibe to it. What was its name?

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I didnt feel the planets in TFA were repetitions of previous ones, jakku feels very different from tatooine, and maz's castle has a unique vibe etc...i praise jj for that, amongst other things ...different points of view regarding the originality or lack of it but thats for another thread. But i do agree on one thing: rian johnson is a bolder director (if thats what you meant)

S2N2 and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  15. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Oh come on, how much longer will fans continue to be in self-denial?

Jakku = not Tatooine
    Takodana = not Endor
    D'Qar = not Yavin 4
    Starkiller = not Hoth
    Hosnian Prime = not Coruscant

Well, at least Atchoo was original (an island planet, good stuff! Probably Rian Johnsons idea though...).

darklordoftech, Shamear and MidKnighT like this.
  16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    They did show Naboo in the Shattered Empire comic. Was so weird seeing Leia on Naboo and x-wings and Naboo fighters together, felt almost like a crossover of sorts. Anyways, Naboo would be cool to return to I guess.

vncredleader and Zikri like this.
  17. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    I'm actually going here shortly, i'm hoping to time it now for same time as filming!

18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Maybe you mean Raxus the capital planet of the CIS.

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That's true. In some ways I'd rather the new trilogy focus on new planets and concepts.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  20. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Not saying this is definitely going to be Naboo, but just how new and fancy would Theed still look 60+ years after we saw it in the prequels? Also, who knows if the war between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire ever came to Naboo.

21. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I remeber seeing that only about 40% of that scene was real water. The other 60% was CG.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Dubrovnik has a very different vibe than either Seville or Lake Como (a coastal, southern Balkan vibe, basically). Plus, I don't think the ST will be revisiting old planets. So no, not Naboo. A brand new planet.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Disagreeing with you isn't self-denial. It's a different opinion and everyone is allowed to have one. :)

24. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Nontheless, even if it isnt Naboo, it will certainly be a big reference to the PT anyway.

Zikri likes this.
  25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I wish.

Naboo is one of my favorite SW planets.

Shamear likes this.